What movie are you watching

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by sportscrazed2, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    i enjoyed it as just an unabashed mashup of 80s sci-fi elements. I enjoyed pretty much all kid characters. The teens and adults less so for the most part. The Sheriff was pretty good, but I couldn't care any less about Winona Ryder character and her kid (the teenage one).

That said, as I said in my first post about it, the plot is really basic, and it basically ends up exactly how you expect it to. For me the biggest let down is that nobody seems to have progressed at the end. I don't see how they could possibly make a season 2 of this show without it feeling really forced, unless
    Spoilers for the ending of Stranger Things (open)
    they expect some small town people to take down the government. It's not like they can bring 11 out of hiding without the same group going after them again.

More than anything else though, I was annoyed by the constant reliance on the science teacher as 1980s google. There's no way he knows some of the stuff they ask him. In particular, I find it pretty hard to believe he knows the thing in the last(ish?) episode off the top of his head. He's a podunk town middle school science teacher.

2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Had a 13 hour flight to Tokyo and decided to watch films instead of reading, sleeping or listening to music.

Wag The Dog - Not great but a good film for an election year. If nothing else, the cynicism inherent in the film is worthy of moderator status around here.

I Saw The Light - Biopic on Hank Williams. Not really good but any scrap of information about Hank Williams Sr. is 99% likely to be more important than anything you learned the past month.

10 Cloverfield Lane - Watchable. Rewatchable? Maybe not for a bit. A spiritual successor to Cloverfield? Regardless, I think Jon Goodman's performance raises the level of the film so if you like him, watch it once.

The Bourne Identity - I first saw this on a plane about 10 years ago and it hasn't changed. James Bond for the modern era, except I think the James Bond films reacted quickly and basically became Bourne films. Brainless last couple hours of the flight.

3. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The Bourne Identity films are weird for me - taken on their own, they're fine, as you say, Bond stand-ins. Having read the novels, the films are weak tea bordering on distilled water. When I can forget the Bourne I've read, the films are quite fun, but occasionally a scene will remind me of the book and I'll be all "this is the shittiest movie I've ever seen" all of a sudden and have to watch something else.

bunge repped this.
  4. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Did you know the end of 10 Cloverfield Lane going in? It sounded like a really interesting movie to me, but I know how it ends, which leads me to believe it'd lose a lot of what people said was great about it.

5. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I did not but still think it's pretty good. A better film than the original but then again, the original wasn't really (or even meant to be) a good film. John Goodman is probably still worth it and thinking now, knowing the end doesn't affect my thoughts about the rest of the film.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  6. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Watched Straight Outta Compton. I thought it would be cheesy, but it was really really good. Great acting by all young, not big name actors. I would highly recommend it.

SixKick and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  7. danimal60914

danimal60914 Member

May 15, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I watched "The Walk" this morning.

I hate heights. I was all sweaty palms and heart in throat. I'm an idiot.

8. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Forgot to add I also watched American Graffitti. Yes, it was a long flight.

Very good film.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  9. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Watched Concussion last night with the wife. Pretty good and I'm surprised Will Smith didn't get nominated for his role.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

10. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    New Trailers from Comic Con:
    Wonder Woman:

This looks pretty good. I find the accent an interesting decision for the character, but DC wants to be gritty and serious, so I guess it makes sense.

Suicide Squad:

I think I wet myself. Margot Robbie looks great as Harley Quinn in my opinion (at least in a DC "gritty and realistic" way). Still not quite sold on Will Smith as Death Stroke.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them:

As someone who has read the books and owns all the movies, I don't like this. It's a blatant money grab.

Doctor Strange:

YAY! SHERLOCK KNOWS MAGIC! Not quite sure about it though, looks like Inception and seems way too serious for Marvel.

Snowden:

Why is this a movie and I hate Shayliene Woodley, why is she in this? Now I have to automatically hate it.

11. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Justice League:

They've done the impossible and made Aquaman look cool. I'll watch it.

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword:

I love it, I'm in.

12. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Jiggly_333 repped this.
  13. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Just saw The Big Short. Actually understood it and thought they did a decent job at blending the drama with the comedy. It looked like they wanted to make a more respectful Wolf of Wall Street with the 4th wall breaks, but they got a bit carried away in the whole drama part to really consider it a comedy. Sure, it has comedic elements, but at the heart of it there's too much drama to call it anything other than one. I thought it was good and suggest it to anyone who has a better understanding of the financial world than the average consumer (who said it was "too wordy" even with the celebrity explanations).

BTW: Fire fans need a Margot-Robbie-in-a-bubble-bath explanation on what the hell Allocation Money really is and why N-Rod is completely obsessed with it, yet doesn't use any.

In a bath tub.jpg

eiki repped this.
  14. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm watching, "A Farewell to Arms...and Legs The Sequel". If it's any good, I'll watch "A Farewell to Arms, Legs, and Private Parts". Maybe Rubber Dick will make a cameo appearance.

eiki, bunge, Jiggly_333 and 1 other person repped this.
  15. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    what do you think the 8 movies were?

16. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Only one was unnecessary. Splitting a final book into two is the blatant money grab, not adapting the books.

17. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna power through them all in one day on my vacation at end of the month. Ive seen them all before but never in a single straight day. Gonna unplug my landline and power off bktb cellphones just eating microwave dinners and pastries sold at jewel and maybe a pint of ice cream.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  18. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    In an effort to re-connect with the Fire, I am watching some DeLeew classics.

HeyFireGO, SixKick, GHjelm and 3 others repped this.
  19. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't care... Too lazy to find the right thread...

seamuslush repped this.
  20. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Why in all things holy would someone cast a Brit to play Hank Williams Senior? Then previously there was that tanned vampire who played Hank in the biopic that was completely sanitized by that broad Hank divorced…Audrey. Why can't Hank get a movie that does him justice? I recommend diving into the Colin Escott book for some real unvarnished truth…it goes down like moonshine.

Asshat
    [​IMG]

Real Deal
    [​IMG]
    Now we are talking!!!

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  21. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @seamuslush

You metalhead.

seamuslush repped this.
  22. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot I had bought a ticket to see suicide squad this morning. I hope it's not as bad as they say it looked so promising. can't be worse than spending 2 hours on here though

23. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I just see it that critics may have a different standard than me, so I don't worry about it unless there are specific things that are bad (like CGI or flat acting).

Also, critics hate DC Comics. It's a proven fact.

24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So critics are not wrong about everything, then.

25. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    They loved the Nolan trilogy.

Jiggly_333 repped this.