What movie are you watching

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by sportscrazed2, Jul 9, 2016.

1. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You are a brave man. I read that it is entertaining as hell.

We are at a spa for a couple of days R&R before my Spring semester and my partner's theater season launch.

No TV, no radio, so I can't watch it. I have my phone (as I am a fool and can't completely disconnect), so I have read a bit of the narrative.

Mac97 repped this.
  2. Mac97

Mac97 Member+

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think GB Shaw is channeling his creativity, sense of the absurd through those on the floor voting.

xtomx repped this.
  3. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    History of the world part 2. Apparently they got some good actors like Danny Devito and Seth Rogan.

bunge, Jiggly_333 and xtomx repped this.
  4. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Started watching Shrinking last night.

5. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Got to meet the guy who wrote Space Jam and Kicking and Screaming today in class.
    He also thinks Shoresy is one of the greatest pieces of sports media ever made.

xtomx repped this.
  6. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I got the Gold Cup final on my laptop next to me, but I'm actually watching the new Netflix NFL doc. I do not like Kirk Cousins as a player. I think he was incredibly lucky to be on a team with such amazing talent at the receiver position and I honestly think he's worse than Joe Flacco when it comes to QBs that people try and fail to argue as "elite". But, it's a doc and I usually try to allow for it to convince me that they're someone I should like. Almost done with the first episode and Cousins has already quoted Margaret Thatcher in a positive way and his wife was talking about "listening to worship music" to calm herself down during a game. This is a strange place and I already don't like him. At least all his good receivers are gone now. And I get to follow Mariota in the doc, as well, and I like that guy.

7. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have not been a Will Smith fan really ever but especially less since "the slapping" incident. However..."Emancipation" was a good ride. Can't say "fun" ride because when is slavery ever ok? But it's satisfying watching karma reign down on unlikable characters. I'm not sure if it was necessarily shot in black and white but definitely green filtered and very muted colors to the point of being almost black and white. Story was compelling and cinematography and acting A+. I recommend.

8. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So wifey picked one to rent offf the Vudu and it was kinda like the Norwegian version of Rambo meets a Spaghetti Western meets Quentin Tarantino's "Inglorious Basterds." Yeah it cost us $5 or whatever but it was a bloody mess of fun. I recommend.

9. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched “65” and “Out-laws” on Netflix this weekend. Both can be missed.

10. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Good news, everyone!

Well, actually it's mostly for me. And honestly, it's not really anything at the moment. But it is something, so that's good.

1686570743314939905 is not a valid tweet id

The AMPTP hasn't asked for a meeting since the strike started back in May. So while there's probably not gonna be much movement anytime soon still, it's at least a slight bit of progress to see that the studios are actually willing to go back to the table. Whether they actually concede anything or not is yet to be seen. In the original negotiations, most of the WGA's demands were "Rejected proposal. Refused to counter," so I don't have too much hope here. But I think they might be a bit rattled and might at least actually start making those counters.

Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  11. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]
    Sabotage cat!

12. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    RIP Robbie Robertson.

Mac97 and overlap_old_coach repped this.
  13. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amc had $4 movies today so saw Gran Turismo better than expected

bunge repped this.
  14. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been binge watching Severance on Apple TV. Took a week off work cause it was literally driving me insane. The concept appeals to me. Get brain surgery send yourself to work but then you walk out at 5 and don’t remember anything and it’s like you just blacked out and woke up at 5. Would you do it? What if it was just like super strong Xanax or something where you took a pill as you go through security

xtomx repped this.
  15. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Watching the new live action Avatar.
    I don't think I've had such a visceral reaction to bad writing within the first 15 minutes of something since the time I tried to watch Thunderpants.

xtomx repped this.
  16. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I saw it at the theater and "hate watched" it for the entire three hours.

The visuals (especially on a huge screen and in 3d) were great... for the first 30 minutes. Then it was tedious and boring.

The story and writing were dreadful. The overwhelming militarism, especially within the family, was unnerving.

I agree about a visceral level of dislike.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  17. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    This reminds me of Independence Day. I have never forgiven Hollywood for that jingoistic, trash debacle.

xtomx and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  18. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think you're talking about the M Knight Shymalan one. Which, that was bad. But this is the Netflix one that just came out that everyone was saying "We learned our lesson, this is gonna be better." And they've completely just sorta tossed aside everything that made Avatar good and fun. I'm now about halfway through episode two and to this point, every single woman in this show has been written to be a stereotype. GranGran is "wise old lady" despite originally having no formal role in the village, Katara has done nothing to this point and is probably one of the worst written female leads I've seen in a while, and now Suki is just a love-struck girl trying to sneak a peek of Sokka with his shirt off. Sure, this version is actually watchable for the average person compared to the first attempt at live action, but this genuinely makes me furious with how bad the writing is both as an adaptation and in general. They have no clue how to show and not tell, so we've got monologues to the camera from Aang to explicitly say something that is contextually implied by the original show that was made for children. Each line of dialogue feels like they're taking too many touches, everything feels so incredibly spoonfed, and all the fun was sucked out because they decided "we can't make this for children" despite treating the audience like infants. I understand what the goal of adaptation is, I know they've gotta cut some things. But they butchered this thing to hell.

19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was talking about Cameron's Avatar 2: The Way of Water

20. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Oh, I never think about that series. Honestly don't know why they made a second when people barely remember the first. And they're making 5 apparently?

21. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The first one is only the top grossing movie of all time and made a shade under $3,000,000,000, so I would say more than a few people remember it.

The second one made about $2,400,000,000 and in the third top grossing movie of all time.

Huge money for something "people barely remember."

Sadly, they both royally suck as stories, especially the second one

bunge repped this.
  22. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    That's what I mean, though. There was a running joke a bit before James Cameron decided to make new ones that, despite being the top grossing movie of all time, people struggled to name a single character from it. We all saw it, but all we remembered was the special effects. Which makes it more of an incredibly lucrative tech demo rather than a successful film.

23. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over the last few weeks I saw Killers of the Flower Moon and Oppenheimer. I didn't really care for either one. I'm sure I'm in the minority as I heard rave reviews from folks.

Jiggly_333, xtomx and bunge repped this.
  24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Fair enough and I can't disagree with any of it.
    I remember the special effects and the idiocy of the story

Jiggly_333 repped this.