What MLS team should I support?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Klay Thompson, Apr 17, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Klay Thompson

Klay Thompson Member

Burnley FC, Barcelona, Lazio, PSV Eindhoven, Pumas UNAM, Atlanta United
    Apr 8, 2024
    As you can probably see, I support a plethora of teams, but not one from my country. Any advice on which one I should support?

2. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where do you live?

RossD, Winoman, ifsteve and 1 other person repped this.
  3. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Based on the name, I'd suspect the Bay Area (Enjoyed the 0-10, suck it Warriors...Kings Fan here!) but he rightly knows supporting the Quakes is a bridge too far.

4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not SJ.

They are a disaster. And their owner is John Fisher, same dude who ran the A’s into the ground as is moving them out of Oakland.

Don’t trust anyone who supports SJ.

Might as well pick the new team, San Diego. Ride with them from the start. They’ll have a residency program too.

Three and Three repped this.
  5. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, being a supporter of a team (in any sport) is a very personal decision and I only become a fan organically based on emotional, if not physical, proximity. This is why I'm a Timbers fan (lived in Portland for almost a decade, a USMNT fan, a UK basketball fan, and that's pretty much it. I used to support UNAM when I lived in Mexico City, but I'm so far removed at this point.

But, it seems you have a different criteria. So, what made you a Burnley fan? A Partizan fan? A Lazio fan (gross)?

6. Klay Thompson

Klay Thompson Member

Apr 8, 2024
    Actually, not a Warriors fan, that's just my username bc I myself play basketball and that's my nickname

Southern Man repped this.
  7. eagercolin

eagercolin Member

Metro
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    Buffalo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, Bild once called the Metrostars the worst club in the world, so I think the choice is obvious.

RossD repped this.
  8. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    If you enjoy 89 minutes of defending broken up by an occasional very high energy counter then Nashville is for you.

9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    All South Americans are Miami fans at some level.

10. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    NYCFC II for the rest of the Open Cup.

11. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philadelphia Union -- well coached, consistent playoff appearances, and plenty of heartbreak at the end of the season.

tomásbernal, jaykoz3 and Southern Man repped this.
  12. Klay Thompson

Klay Thompson Member

Apr 8, 2024
    I live in western Kentucky, so the closest two would be St. Louis and Nashville

tomásbernal and Geneva repped this.
  13. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not FC Cincinnati?

Winoman repped this.
  14. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Lots to do in Nashville when you visit for a game….if you like music. The stadium is great and the team has some likable characters. That’s all I’ve got.

15. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    #15 deejay, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    Hands down, St. Louis because of their long history of soccer culture. Nashville does not have much at all.

St. Louis were the lone beacon of American soccer in your region for a long time and provided the core of the 1950 World Cup team that famously beat England 1-0. St. Louis is still important for the US National Team and MLS. Current players, Tim Ream and Josh Sargent, are from there. So is well known ex-player and TV Analyst Taylor Twellman. Besides 2005 MVP Twellman, a lot of important MLS figures are from St. Louis: Steve Ralston (#2 in career assists), Brad Davis (#5 in career assists), Chris Klein and Pat Noonan (current FC Cincinnati coach).

Nashville does not have notable history. The one notable Tennessee player - Jack McInerney - was born in Chattanooga and moved early to the soccer hotbed of Georgia.

Edit: Richard Mulrooney from Memphis was a notable MLS player.

RossD, coldfusion, Marko72 and 1 other person repped this.
  16. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    You can get some St. Louis vibes in Nashville via Jack Maher.

17. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I'm from St. Louis so I don't want to argue against more fans of St. Louis City. However, if you do have a home team, I'd really say just follow them, even if it is painful at times. I mean, whichever team you pick, you're going to have ups and downs, good seasons and bad, especially in a league like MLS that is so focused on parity. The whole fun of a domestic league is being able to go to see the team in person and follow your home town club, which will be easier since your local media is likely to give them a lot more attention than teams across the country. You may even run into a player from time to time. So, if no team is near you, absolutely pick St. Louis. The more the merrier. But if you have local team, support your hometown club, go see the games in person and have a good time being a part of a larger whole in your community.

Burr, Mahtzo1, tomásbernal and 5 others repped this.
  18. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I'd do St. Louis City out of those two. Neither is going to be a big spender, but I feel like St. Louis has a better plan. Nashville is probably more fun as a town, tho.

You should also look into Louisville City in USL. They are one of the best, maybe the best run team in USL.

Burr, tomásbernal and Three and Three repped this.
  19. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I offer for your consideration the Dayton Dutch Lions.

RossD and Three and Three repped this.
  20. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St. Louis is the newest and it's cool to be in near the beginning. Proximity aside, allow me to put in a word for my Galaxy. We have great history and we're poised for a fun season with lots of goals (for both teams) and the players are the kind you want to root for.

21. Klay Thompson

Klay Thompson Member

Apr 8, 2024
    With due respect, I was referring to the MLS

22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Who better than the team from your Nation’s Capital?

Edit: Don’t answer that …

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  23. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham

Sorry your music career didn't work out like you hoped,

--- TN soccer

24. Klay Thompson

Klay Thompson Member

Apr 8, 2024
    No, STL is roughly 3 hours and Nashville 2, whereas Cinci is somewhere in the realm of 5

TimB4Last and Geneva repped this.
  25. Klay Thompson

Klay Thompson Member

Apr 8, 2024
    I have been to many sports games in both Nashville and St. Louis (I'm a Predators fan in hockey, and not me but my family are Cardinals fans in Baseball) and I've been to many games in both cities. I have to say I love the culture in Nashville, and how die-hard their fans are

MayaDempsey, TimB4Last, deejay and 3 others repped this.