What MLS needs to resolve now

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by bigredmachine, Aug 13, 2014.

1. With the end of the World Cup and the 2014 season winding down, here's what MLS needs to resolve leading into the off-season:
    1. Get a new collective bargaining agreement settled.
    2. Get some progress on the stadium developments in DC, NY, LA(Chivas), and Miami
    3. With the new TV deals and the above two items resolved, finalize the expansion sites for teams 23 and 24.
    4. Assuming a big rise in salaries beginning next year, sign more big name talent for 2015 and beyond.
    Now is the time to strike for a bigger future. This season has been a bust with all the attention directed to the WC, that was to be expected. But with NYC and Orlando coming in next year, there should be a big push to set new attendance and viewership records next year and begin the new phase of MLS growth.

2. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    This season has not been a bust.

But outside of that, I'd assume MLS is working on the above list, and probably a good number of other items -- not that all of those things need to be resolved "now."

MLS is probably fairly constantly working "to set new attendance and viewership records next year and begin the new phase of MLS growth."

3. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Stadium progress in Miami would be great, but is it really a "need" for the league? There's no team there draining team/league resources.

4. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, none of this speculation is news. Where is the analysis? Gawd, I miss the neg-rep function.

5. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh boy here we go again.

6. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy there now. Next time give me a paper cut and pour lemon juice on it.

7. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another thread that was searching for a home has found one in You Be the Don.... Seriously this forum reminds me of those Alcoa You make the Call commercials.

JasonMa and Fiosfan repped this.
  8. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U have the POWER.

edwardgr repped this.
  9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought there was a new collective bargaining agreement recently. Does the current one expire this offsesason? How many years is the current one for?

10. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The current one does expires at the end of the year. It was signed in 2010 and was good for 5 years. I haven't heard anything about a new one being signed. There was almost a work stoppage last time, and I bet it will be similar this time.

EvanJ repped this.