What Manner of Tripe is THIS???

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Gunnersaurus, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Gunnersaurus

Gunnersaurus Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Jurassic Period
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Apparently, the ever-original Merchendise United team has adopted the John "Deutschendorf" Denver anthem "Take Me Home, Country Road" as their own. Some have even included it in their sig's, to wit:

Am I the only one to see the irony in adopting a song written by the man who died in a plane crash, and also penned the Peter Paul and Mary hit "Leavin' on a Jet Plane" in the adoption of this song by a team devastated by the 1958 crash in Munich?

Thank God I'm an Arsenal Boy!
    -G. Rex

2. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't quite put my finger on it, but I find that post offensive for some reason...

3. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    Manc fans shouldn't be offended by any means. They ought to retreat to their own forums and buy more merchandise to support their "team".

4. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Yes, Motterman, why don't you just go home?

5. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go ahead, keep piling on, newbies.

Poking fun at Munich in any way is wrong. Ask your more established group members.

6. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Depends on how it is done and why. However i do have a question for you. Figure out why the first post offended you?

7. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    newbie sez: " Motterman: glory hunting since 1999"

8. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Jeez, some people. Next thing you know we won't even be allowed to make fun of 9/11.

9. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Motterman, I don't think anyone was poking fun over that terrible event. G Rex was only pointing out an irony. And in terms of putting down "newbies," I've nowhere near the volume of posts you have, but I don't troll around in the forums of teams I despise, and I joined bigsoccer more than six months before you. Regardless, being a "more established" group member has nothing to do with knowledge of that crash, much less sensitivity.

Still, the point remains: why on earth do you bother annoying people on the Arsenal discussion boards? Maybe you are well "established" on the ManUre boards. Why you would care to read things from the Arsenal supporters' perspective, and try to contribute to our discussion is beyond reason. It is simply bad taste, contributing to the already nasty reputation the ManUre thugs have cultivated over the years (of a different kind than Buford chronicles, but one of poor manners nonetheless). If you don't ever respond, it just might show you've a scintilla of decency.

So how dare you pop in to our discussion boards and accuse us of bad taste? Its that kind of hypocritical moralism that leads many to laugh at your Sir Alex.

10. Senor Askew

Senor Askew Member

Jan 19, 2001
    San Francisco, CA.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comedic gold.

Classic.

:D

11. Desigol

Desigol New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    County Tyrone, NI
    Most Americans don't understand the concept of irony. ;)

12. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Before, and certainly since, the inception of Arsenal America, the Arsenal board at BigSoccer has been the best UK club board, based on quantity, and somewhat subjectively, quality.

This, in addition to the high quality of play by the Arsenal has seen new Arsenal fans, and those with an anti-Arsenal bent come to these boards.

I will try to refrain from making generalizations or speaking for others, but here's been my experience:

I couldn't give a toss for the other UK club boards. I don't see what's happening on the ManU, 'Pool and Spurs boards. Maybe I'm missing some interesting discussions, but I doubt it.

Conversely, plenty of fans from other teams come to our board. A few, and I'm sorry I can't think of a name right now, add something (insight, intelliegence, humour, wit, etc.). Most are trolls.

I assume they come here because their own boards are so devoid of those above mentioned traits that they hope to get a little bit of it here.

While I have friends who are fans of many teams, Spurs, 'Pool, Chelsea, ManU to name a few, I find that most, not all, but most, ManU fans are arrogant and condescending.

Wednesday night I went on BBC Radio Five Live to talk about the Manu match. I was on with a member of ManU's US supporters' club. His only resort was name calling, talking the loudest and other tactics that are staples of American talk radio. It was sad and rather than being angry, I was embarrased for him and saddened to think that he was going to be thought of as representative of American soccer fans, or Americans in general.

So, if you are a fan of another team, by all means stop by here and we can talk about games and teams, we can even exchange some good natured ribbing.

But if you're just a loser troll, crawl back to your own pathetic board and continue with your monosyllabic grunts and verbal masturbation sessions that qualify as intelligent conversation among you and your fellow mouth-breathers.

13. Irelandboy

Irelandboy New Member

Jan 4, 2003
    North

here, here.

(hear, hear?)

(hair, hair?)

(her, her?)

14. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    The two that I can think of off the top are CrewToon (Newcastle) and BuffloSoldier (Man U). I enjoy exchanges with those guys because they're intelligent and can see things from all sides.

But you're right, for the most part, guys like Motterman are trolls. And you're also right, Rick, that most Man U fans are arrogant pricks who feel that United can do no wrong and that anyone who speaks out against them needs to be put down and slammed. The fact that most of their fans aren't intelligent enough to do more than lob insults is shown continuously by guys like Motterman, who evidently have nothing better to do than troll on an Arsenal board. I simply shake my head when I see these. It's one thing to do it when your team beats the other team, but what sort of a loser continually trolls after a DRAW? I think what Motterman really needs is a hobby. Or maybe a woman, as it's obvious that he spends all his time trolling on these boards.

15. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    Speaking of needing a women, you should check out Motterman's personal forum and his post "women I'd like to bang". Classssey.

16. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    I'm curious: is Posh Spice on there?

17. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's great and all, except that I haven't really done that. What's more, I seem to getting blamed for actions of other people or grouped into their category. I appreciate the fact that it's easy to take my posting style in such a way as I have the club crest in my profile and that, I guess by default since I'm American, seems to put a "Warning! Arrogant Tit" stamp on every post. I also don't recall having hurled insults at people on the Arsenal forum. I certainly have poked fun at all kinds of things and people in certain areas of BigSoccer though. But I've not aimed at being malicious or anything. You won't find me taking the piss out of 'pool regarding Hillsborough, etc. There are, and should be, lines you shouldn't cross. Most of the fuel to the fire has come from Ferguson and Wenger, and as soon as they both just get on with it, the less ire will be drawn.

As for hanging out in the Arsenal forum, I admit that I've perused more often since Wednesday and I don't intend to stick around... OK you can stop applauding now. This is certainly shaping up to be the most exciting league run-in for years. Good luck and may the best team win.

18. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Yes, thank you, CrewToon and BuffloSoldier are good examples.

I must say though that I take exception to your insinuation that Motterman needs a women. We have no idea what his sexual orientation is.

I kid. I kid because I care.

Motterman, most of this hasn't come from Ferguson and Wenger as you suggest. It comes from Ferguson. Journos ask Wenger if he thinks Arsenal will win the title? He says, "Yes." What should he say, "No, we're just going to grab our ankles and wait for ManU."?

I have tremendous respect for what SAF has done at ManUtd. He has done a job that is nothing short of legendary. I also think he's lacking in class.

19. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    Rick, why didnt we hear about the spell on the radio. Id at least tuned in via internet. I find it hard to believe that a talk about footy would be malicious or would turn to name calling. Its a game for Petes sake!

20. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Read Buford's _Among the Thugs_.

21. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying that G. rex is a newbie? Hmmm... You know that I try to be civilized with you, so I'll ask this: who is more of a newbie: The 48 year-old man who's been a Gunner for all of his life, has attended every match since he was 4, lives within walking distance of Highbury and has a 3 post count, or the kid with 5000 who has never seen the Arsenal play? Just curious. I spend time on the ManUre boards, but I don't troll, so why do you do that on my board?

Vive le AFC!

OPArsenal

22. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    okay.. okay.. everyone needs to relax.. smoke a spliff and chill out.... seems to be a wee bit 'eated in 'ere~~~ lets hope real puts manyoo to shame on wednesday so we get the joy of seeing sir alex spare come up wiv more whinging excuses~~
    cheers
    P

23. Gunnersaurus

Gunnersaurus Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Jurassic Period
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In an effort to respond to Motterman, G. Rex assumes the identity of his alter-alter-ego, Rexxo, and sends up BBC Online's Robbo at the same time. Okay, one of his alter-alter-egos.

You there, Rexxo?

Yeah. What's up this time?

I figured, as a more established group member, you might be able to help me out here.

Well, I'll render whatever assistance I can. But quit making fun of my age. There are certain things you shouldn't...

Ah, that leads me to my question. Is it ever OK to poke fun at Munich?

Sure. You got all them Bavarians there, drinking beer and making BMW's - there's gotta be a lot of comic material there. A buddy of mine works for Siemens there, I'll check with him about...

Hold it, Rexxo! I'm talking about the plane crash in 1958.

Naw, I wouldn't go there. I said in my post that it devastated the team, and that's not funny.

We had a coach here in Washington who was a survivor of that very crash. What a great guy, and a fine coach. Sad to hear of his passing a few years ago. RIP, DV.

Then why does this Motterman guy have a bee in his bonnet?

I don't know. His team has adopted a saccharine song about West Virginia, written by a guy from New Mexico who lived in California and took his stage name from a city in Colorado. And the fans like it.

Now, that's funny.

-G. Rex

24. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, the one and only Gunnersaurus saves the day with witty insightful and intelligent commentary. So take it, Motter!! :D

Vive le AFC!

OPArsenal

[size=0.75]or huss wouldn't let me as usual. there seems to be a little bit of misunderstanding between me and him. somehow he thinks i'm not a right person. i wonder why” – Premium Hamatachi, wondering why he can’t be a
    moderator.

“Because you're an utter tit?” – Matt Clark’s eloquent, and utterly hilarious response.
    [/size]

25. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    I was at the FA Cup semi-final and heard the Sheffield United fans singing the Denver song, but have never heard it sung by ManUre fans?

For what its worth I've only been an Arsenal fan for about 34 years and the closest I've lived is 15 miles from Highbury and have only seen a few dozen live games, and it may not be any of Mottermans business, but I think G-Rex's comments were at best pointless. There are plenty of things to talk about at the moment. We don't need to waste time on something as inane as what is being sung on the terraces!