What Jobs allow you 3 weeks to Go to the World Cup?

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by mmradio13, Jun 15, 2010.

1. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in college now and I started thinking, "wow, it'd be awesome to find a job where I'd be able to go to World Cups." So I started wondering what jobs/professions would allow you 3 weeks in the summer to just give up everything you're doing and head to a foreign country.

I know if you're self-employed you could pull this off with proper planning or if you're a teacher. Does anyone know any other jobs that you could keep that you'd be able to do this (whether you've been yourself or not)?

I know many jobs have 3 weeks vacation, but they usually don't let you take all 3 weeks in a row.

2. HSV Hooligan

HSV Hooligan New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Shaker Heights, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm an attorney and went to Germany WC 2006 for the entire month...of course, I did some work from there and had to make up the billable hours throughout the rest of the year though. Didn't really feel like going to SA this time.

3. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went to Korea in 2002 for 24 days and Germany in 2006 for 21 days. Working for law firms during those days were great in that you could ask to save your vacation days as long as you got the work done. By 2006, the issued me a Blackberry should I need to be contacted by the attorneys back in the office. Luckily, no emergencies happened and I got to enjoy myself at the World Cup.

4. little_red_bull

little_red_bull New Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Tenafly, NJ
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am a Financial Analyst, and for me to get these 21 days all I had to do is not request any vacations for these past 2 years and "voila" when the time arrived, plus all the good work I have done, my boss had no problems and gave me his blessing. On my way to J'burg tomorrow.

5. casadomecq

casadomecq New Member

May 29, 2005
    El Paso
    Club:
    CF Indios de Ciudad Juárez
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's easy, become a teacher.

6. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I work for the US government (trust me, I'm here to help ;) ).

We have 26 pay periods, and you get vacation time based on the time you're in government, in addition to sick leave and federal holidays. <3 years, you get 4 hours per pay period, 3-15 years, you get 6 hours per pay period, 15+ years, you get 8 hours per pay period. Sick leave accumulates at 4 hours per pay period, regardless of time on the job. And federal holidays are usually 10 / year. That translates to:

< 3 years of service, 13 vacation days, 13 sick days, and 10 federal holidays

3-15 years of service, 19.5 vacation days, 13 sick days, and 10 federal holidays

15+ years of service, 26 vacation days, 13 sick days, and 10 federal holidays.

Oh, and weekends don't count, so 20 days is actually four weeks. I don't know of any other job, apart from being a teacher, that gives that much time off.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Therein lies the key. You can only request MINIMAL (if any) time off between World Cups. If your team is playing in the Champions League, try to DVR it and watch the game that night, or maybe your pub has Wifi.

At the worst, you can only go for your team's first round games...at the best, you'll be there from the opening match to the final.

8. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Find a job that allows you to telecommute. It's 2010, you don't have to sit in an office to do work these days.

Of course the downside is that you don't get as much work done from home, especially when you spend that time dicking around on Bigsoccer :eek:

9. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    some friends of mine work as consultants/contractors...so they do a lot of freelance stuff while not maintaining a full-time gig.

obviously, that has its own pros/cons, but they're able to take off as much time as they want.

10. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    Fireman....with shift trades and vacation time, you can easily get the time off. Just know that you will work for that time off on those trades, not easy working 72 hours straight at times...

11. cmquaker

cmquaker New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Time your job changes to coincide with World Cups. I start a new job right after this World Cup.

12. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The interview...
    Q) And why did you leave your last job?
    A) To go to the World Cup... don't worry, I'm not going to do that to you guys...

13. Nathan7264

Nathan7264 New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Public accounting (auditing) for me... My busiest period is Jan - Mar. Some people have been busier in the summer, but I've been lucky and/or scheduled vacation far enough in advance. I've had ample PTO to take off three weeks for both Germany and now South Africa, and not have to worry about not taking another day off, whether for a Champions League match or winter holiday.

14. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a teacher would highly recomend it!

15. MD_littlekeep

MD_littlekeep Member

Mar 27, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sports TV Producer.

16. PTS21

PTS21 Member

Sep 1, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...for at least three years!

17. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    I'm an attorney with my own office. I don't take cases if I know it's going to coincide with the WC. I make it up by working more during the rest of the year.

I didn't go this year for different reasons.

18. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I work for a consulting firm and its ok as long as you inform them ahead of time you can take 3-5 weeks off, loads of foreign born employees do this for an extended stay in their hometowns, just inform them 4-6 months ahead and most of the time they will approve it. Even if you dont have 3 weeks of vacation sometimes you can talk to the hr and they will allow you to use vacation hours that you have yet to accumulate.

19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In this economy, all you have to say is "economic downsizing."

20. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    You get about 30 days of vacation per year in the military. You can save up at least 60. I had no problem spending 21 days in Germany in 06. It can probably be done with most jobs, if you plan it right and let your employer know. I work for your government now, and I could have easily taken off for SA. Unfortunately my wife wasn't interested in going to Africa.

21. Kevin Etzel

Kevin Etzel Member

Jul 18, 2000
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I spend 20 days in Germany 2006. No big deal at my company. This time around it might have more difficult.

22. Beantowner

Beantowner Member

Aug 19, 2005
    HK / Shanghai / NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Entrepreneur with good partners, reasonably incentivized colleagues - work for yourself and clients has real merit; it beats any boss I ever had and putting up with clients BS is usually easier than past bosses' BS; you can also ditch the most underappreciative, annoying clients much easier than a boss.

23. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Prostitute. You can work anywhere. Pay is great.

24. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    I work for the NHS in England. By law, the minimum vacation time (annual leave as it's called here) is 27 days to use as you please, plus 8 public holidays. After 5 years service it's 29 and after 10 years service it's 33.

And on the continent, they are rediculous. Finland gets I think 35 days minimum. France is 30. England just abides by the European law minimum of 27.

I could go to S.A. for the US matches and conceivably only miss 1-1½ days of work for each...

25. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    well, the minimum in france is actually 26.5 when you start. but i get 47.5.

regular paid vacation - 25 (5 weeks)
    seniority days - 3
    flex time my decision - 8
    flex time company decision - 10
    3 half days before xmas, new year and summer hols - 1.5

that's actually a lot even for here: instead of going to 35 hours my company went to 37.5 (i actually do 41 for which i get a bit extra) and put the rest in days (flex time).

cliff may call it ridiculous, i call it damned sensible! after all do we live to work or work to live?