What is your signature dish?

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by FearM9, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Leg of Lamb - I prepare it according to Julia Child's instructions (her cookbooks are great, if you follow her detailed instructions you can't go wrong) and then season it with olive oil, garlic and dill weed.

If you bone it and trim off all of the fat, a leg of lamb tastes much better.

I usually serve it with saffron risotto.

2. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Caldo Gallego

Close second:

Lasagna

Paella

Octopus with paprika potatoes.

Squid in it's ink.

Tuna salad.

Virginia Lentils.

Veal stew.

Leg of Lamb

Lechon

Signature desert:

Flan

close second

Fried Milk

3. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I think you can put olive oil, garlic and dill weed on anything and it will taste good.

Boning a lamb? Where do you think you are, Scotland? :D

4. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    A mexican dish called mole.

My great grandmother taught me how to make it when I was twelve. It's not made with that store bought crap.

She taught me how to make it from scratch like her grandmother taught her.

For those of you who don't know mole is a pre-columbian Aztec dish made with chocolate and a whole mess of spices. It's usually made with chicken or pork.

5. angus_hooligan

angus_hooligan New Member

May 15, 2001
    Chicago
    I was thinking of making that the other day and I can afford to have a regular meal.

6. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This thread is making me hungry. Tonight, I'm going to cook:

Salmon, wrapped in foil, on the BBQ. Put a patty of butter on either side of the fish and garnish with some herbs, such as dill. Cook for 10-12 minutes per side on a modest flame. Melts in your mouth.

Veg will be stir-fry mix of yellow squash, zucchini and red peppers. First heat the olive oil with a few crushed cloves of garlic, and stir for about 10 minutes.

Side dish will be rice pilaf.

My wife will prefer washing down the meal with a glass of chardonnay. However, I'll stick with Heineken.

No dessert (also part of my signature meal.)

7. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine is a steroid enhanced variation on mac-n-cheese, that I call Cheese Ring.

I am enough of a traditionalist that I mostly use elbow macaroni, but rotini works really well too.

It was born one summer during college when I was dead broke and just discovering the wonders of garlic.

I start by grating a whole lot of good cheese (I usually use extra sharp cheddar, but things like Asiago work well too) onto a dinner plate in a circle. Then sprinkle some garlic powder (all right, a lot of garlic powder) and oregano on the cheese. Put the pasta into the middle of the ring, add tobasco and mix it all up. It's tasty and cheap, and if a culinarily challenged person like me can make it, it's got to be easy!

8. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good god all these dishes sound mighty. Excuse me while I go throw my day old Domino's in the microwave.

Is paella hard to make? I love the stuff and always thought about giving it a shot.

9. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Once you get the hang of it, paella's not that hard to make. Prep time can be long, depending on the quantity of ingredients you're putting in the dish. But the reward's well worth the time and effort - seeing your guests wide-eyed and the 'oohs' and the 'aahs' when they smell & taste the paella. Makes for great conversation too; people ask what's in the dish and how you make it.

10. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aha. I'll have to impress some friends from outta town that are gonna be here end of the week. Well, hopefully impress. Thanks for the tips.

11. Wade Bills

Wade Bills New Member

Oct 15, 2000
    West Jordan, UT
    I make a mean Chile Verde. Takes a lot of chopping and I have to simmer it for a few hours, but the taste is worth it.