What is your favorite goal ever?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by MOGG, Dec 2, 2004.

1. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  2. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #128 carlito86, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  3. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    On top of my head:

The commentator said: "It looked offside". It was probably a few inches. The control of the ball by Ronaldo however was great (although the ball was probably not bouncing as much due to wet surface).

I like how Klinsmann scooped up the ball for a volley.

I was there in the stadium.... the combinations were liked a pinball machince.... quick and short in tight space... 7 0r 8 passes in 6 seconds. Then, Maradona's celebration.

4. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

This has to be explained scientifically.

Buyo repped this.
  5. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  6. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

skip to 0:43

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'll make this the last thread I 'promote' my new videos on (I decided against opening any specific new 'best goals by great players' thread or anything like that, and against matching up some of the goals against each other - similar goals or according to how I'd rank them - on my 'Goal vs Goal' thread, but I already posted them on two other threads!)....

But having picked out a possible top 12 goals (and top 12 assists) from them, I thought I'd change it to my favourite 12 instead and also settle on an outright favourite:
    Best 3 Goals, 3 Assists of suggested Top 25 Football Players of 2nd half 20thCentury Part1 (#12-#1) - YouTube
    Best 3 Goals, 3 Assists of suggested Top 25 Football Players of 2nd half 20thCentury Part2 (#25-#13) - YouTube
    (As I said before, the comments I posted below the videos reveal which few goals/assist had to be cut out or trimmed down to avoid the videos being blocked worldwide or in some countries - the Van Basten volley vs USSR which is in my attempt at a choice of best 12 of the goals, and also on my list of 12 favourites is one of them but it's a pretty famous goals that most football fans will know!).

So copying and pasting my idea for best 12 (and for the assists):
    "Goals
    1 - Pele: Goal 2 (vs Bahia 1961)
    2 - Van Basten: Goal 3 (vs USSR 1988)
    3 - Baggio: Goal 3 (vs Udinese 1993/94)
    4 - Maradona: Goal 3 (vs England 1986)
    5 - Cruyff: Goal 3 (vs Haarlem 1981/82)
    6 - Van Basten: Goal 2 (vs Den Bosch 1986/87)
    7 - Dalglish: Goal 2 (vs Belgium 1982/83)
    8 - Van Basten: Goal 1 (vs Feyenoord 1984/85)
    9 - Ronaldo: Goal 1 (vs Compostela 1996/97)
    10 - Pele: Goal 1 (vs Sweden 1958)
    11 - Maradona: Goal 2 (vs Lazio 1984/85)
    12 - Laudrup: Goal 1 (vs Verona 1983/84)

Assists
    1 - Best: Assist 3 (vs AC Milan 1968/69)
    2 - Dalglish: Assist 2 (vs Watford 1982/83)
    3 - Rivera: Assist 3 (vs Ajax 1968/69)
    4 - Laudrup: Assist 1 (vs Valencia 1989/90)
    5 - Zico: Assist 2 (vs Italy 1982)
    6 - Zico: Assist 1 (vs Liverpool 1981)
    7 - Maradona: Assist 3 (vs Juventus 1987/88)
    8 - Cruyff: Assist 3 (vs Feyenoord 1974/75)
    9 - Zidane: Assist 2 (vs Dynamo Kiev 1997/98)
    10 - Platini: Assist 3 (vs Pisa 1983/84)
    11 - Platini: Assist 2 (vs USSR 1983)
    12 - Di Stefano: Assist 2 (vs France 1957/58)"

For favourites I'll just go with 12 in alphabetical order, without the disallowed ones again, but I'd say again both would be in the mix - the Platini goal vs Argentinos Juniors maybe even more on the cusp at least (maybe I could take the out Maradona vs Belgium goal for it, but I did always find that one enjoyable to watch with the smooth acceleration with the ball and changes of direction through the defence - that itself was a 'bonus section' goal on my video), while maybe I'd be a bit less certain the Cruyff disallowed assist would be in a favourite 12 assists list from those on the videos (I'd be a bit undecided against Cruyff's own assist vs Brazil in the 1974 World Cup for example maybe - both enjoyable to see and appreciate in different ways).

For goals it'd be this then (bolding the choice as outright favourite):
    Baggio: Goal 3
    Cruyff: Goal 2
    Cruyff: Goal 3
    Dalglish: Goal 2
    Laudrup: Goal 1
    Laudrup: Goal 2
    Maradona: Bonus Goal 2
    Pele: Goal 1
    Rivera: Goal 1
    Van Basten: Goal 3 (the USSR volley)
    Zico: Goal 1
    Zidane: Goal 2

While for assists it'd have been this:
    Cruyff: Assist 1
    Cruyff: Assist 2
    Dalglish: Assist 2
    Figo: Assist 1
    Gullit: Assist 1
    Laudrup: Assist 1
    Laudrup: Assist 3
    Platini: Assist 1
    Platini: Assist 3
    Rivera: Assist 3
    Rummenigge: Assist 1
    Zico: Assist 3

So I changed about half the choices pretty much (whether factoring in disallowed goals or not) in both cases.

Whether that makes the Laudrup goal vs Verona my all-time favourite? Maybe! I think I'd settled on a Stuart Ripley goal last time I posted and maybe I'd say I like the Laudrup one better, although it's hard to compare and I would remember the Ripley one from the time it happened while I'm fairly sure I wouldn't have seen the Laudrup one on TV or anything from back in 83/84, but on the other hand Michael Laudrup would be one of my top favourite players, and Ripley just a slight favourite in the wider sense.

8. Tom Souster

Tom Souster Member

Jul 20, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Got to be one of the most aesthetic goals i've seen

9. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Baggio vs Czechoslovakia.
    Elegance, balance, skill.

carlito86 repped this.
  10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Do you prefer that one to this one vs Udinese (that I put on that video I mentioned, and also among my own top 12 favourites from the two videos, and high up in my perceived top 12 best from them too for that matter)?

I would say the English commentator did a good job on that Baggio Italia 90 goal though, so it was and remains an iconic goal for fans of my age, and there was a big feelgood factor among Italian fans at the game I think as the breakthrough new Italian star had made a thrilling mark at the World Cup, with the knockout stages still to come. It is a really great and watchable goal I would agree anyway from my perspective too, including Giannini's part in it, but certainly as Baggio's run continues (and the English commentator repeats "oh yes" several times and finishes with "what a goal by Baggio" as in the video you posted - I guess the Italian commentary would be very good too of course although I'm not sure I heard it before).

11. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    @PDG1978
    The Udinese one is among my favourite Baggio goals too but even better is Brescia vs Juventus assisted by Pirlo.
    I love the Czechoslovakia one just for the purity in school, hardly a wasted motion from Baggio from the moment he gets the first pass from Giannini. And the commentary adds something to it too as you mentioned

PDG1978 repped this.
  12. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes, that Brescia one was/is in mind too for among his best goals from my perspective too (with the Pirlo pass adding to it if we look beyond the individual perspective too, a bit like Frank de Boer's pass for the great Bergkamp goal vs Argentina in 1998, as the pass itself was really good too!). Maybe also the chip for Bologna in 97/98 (I guess you know which one I mean), without being 100% certain it was intended (maybe you know for sure whether it was or not).

With various other ones for Juventus, plus Fiorentina and Italy for example he's certainly a player with a great collection quality wise anyway I'd say overall.

EDIT - the goal number 136 (his 136th Serie A goal I think) from 1:44 here is the Bologna one I meant, vs Vicenza:
    Baggio Goal in Serie A ● Bologna - YouTube

Edhardy repped this.
  13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I made one typo in all that, as it was the 2nd Platini assist on the video (the one vs USSR) that I'd meant to put on my favourite assists list, not the 3rd one.

Trying to do a ranking now for favourites too, having considered that a bit more (only from the goals on the videos - the best 3 goals 'top 25' players of the 2nd half of last century according to my own calls), I think I'd go with this for goals (I'm embedding the top 3 favourites too):
    1 - Michael Laudrup vs Verona 83/84
    2 - Johan Cruyff vs Haarlem 81/82
    3 - Kenny Dalglish vs Belgium 1982
    4 - Roberto Baggio vs Udinese 94/94
    5 - Zico vs USSR 1976
    6 - Marco van Basten vs USSR 1988
    7 - Zinedine Zidane vs Norway 1998
    8 - Pele vs Sweden 1958
    9 - Michael Laudrup vs Roma 85/86
    10 - Gianni Rivera (goal unidentified or forgotten by me - 1st one in his section on the video!)
    11 - Johan Cruyff vs Belgium 1976
    12 - Michel Platini vs Argentinos Juniors 85/86
    13 - Diego Maradona vs Belgium 1986

14. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'd probably have listed favourite assists from the videos like this (sorry, can't edit above post now), according to the positions on the videos in post #133:
    1: Laudrup Assist 1
    2: Cruyff Assist 1
    3: Dalglish Assist 2
    4: Figo Assist 1
    5: Rummenigge Assist 1
    6: Gullit Assist 1
    7: Platini Assist 1
    8: Zico Assist 3
    9: Laudrup Assist 3
    10: Rivera Assist 3
    11: Platini Assist 2
    12: Cruyff Assist 2
    13: Cruyff Bonus Assist 1 (on disallowed goal, but factoring in like I factored in the Platini goal vs Argentinos Juniors as if it was an actual goal too: I think I might put this Cruyff assist as among the top 3 best though maybe if I tried to give it a position on that basis).

Edhardy repped this.
  15. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Technically not a 'goal' but if it was it would be right up there with the very best strikes of all time in any league,competition or era.

Maybe the referee went out on a binge the night before?
    Its not completely out of the question considering the nature of football at that time.

If this was scored in the sky sports era it would have WAY more replay value then even rooneys effort against Manchester city(voted the best goal of the premier league era)

16. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I don't think I'd ever seen, or read/heard about that one before, but the way he turns as he volleys it, and the fact it goes straight into the top corner, does make it stand out.

I knew about this Southampton one, finally scored by Channon, with Keegan heavily involved, vs Liverpool

carlito86 repped this.
  17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  18. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It's a pity this goal and the Newcastle one always returns, in comparison to all the other great goals against strong teams.

Part of the 'secret' behind this Argentina goal was actually not merely his technique but also the scanning ability and awareness.

"While forwards remain at the bottom of the pile scanning-wise, the picture is very different from what Jordet found when he first began to analyse the Premier League 15 years ago. Then, he says, “We had strikers in that [dataset] who really didn’t scan [at all].” The best scanner was Dennis Bergkamp, who averaged 0.38 scans per second before receiving the ball. Jordet’s latest Premier League study showed only a small increase in the average scan frequency of a striker (up from 0.25 in 2005 to 0.28), but Europe’s elite forwards are spectacular outliers.
    [...]
    Apart from Mbappé, Haaland and Odegaard, Jordet identifies Frenkie de Jong and Liverpool’s Thiago Alcântara as two of the outstanding scanners in European football."
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...st-scanners-visualise-field-of-play-n37kzltx9

For pure midfielders this is more common but that 'skill' is applied and made to use in a different way.
    https://spainsnews.com/the-classic-de-jong-looks-like-xavi-sports/
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/socc...will-soon-be-caught-from-behind-39210850.html

N.B. this scanning by Haaland is one of the reasons/arguments why MvB suggested Haaland is maybe even "more" than Lewandowski (as well as himself in his own time) and "can be a better footballer than we now think".

PDG1978 repped this.
  19. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some footage from a Qatar Stars League match a couple of weeks ago between Al Khor and Al Wakra. This would have been some goal had it not been ruled out. Was a last minute equalizer to make it 2-2 after pulling a goal back just a couple of minutes earlier in injury time... Oh well, I guess it's one for the hard-khor supporters only...

20. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  21. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid