What is your favorite goal ever?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by MOGG, Dec 2, 2004.

1. leoriver

leoriver New Member

Nov 29, 2003
    en el monu
    1.Maradonas 2nd goal vs england in the 86 WC.

2.Enzo Francescoli playing for River Plate in a friendly vs Polands NT,scoring the game winner in injury time,ball was headed to the penalty spot and with his back turned to the goal,stops ball with his chest as its coming down a espectacular bicycle kick that ends in the keepers upper 90,final score was River..5 vs Poland..4

3.Van Basten's goal in the Eurofinal in 88.

4.Maradonas free kick vs Juventus(i forgot what year it was) but it was an indirect free-kick inside the box with barley any room or distance to the goal,he manages to cuvre it in the upper 90.

5.All the goals River scores on boca juniors.

2. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Yes I know the goal you speak of, it was vs. Atletico Madrid, the goal looks so simple, but what makes it so special is the arrogance behind it and the delicate touch off of Romario's boot. From that distance you'd expect a powerful blast.

But when watching video footage, it looks as if the the ball is moving through the air at a snail's pace telling the keeper: "THIS BALL IS GOING TO MOVE VERY SLOW, AND YET STILL YOU'RE NOT GOING TO STOP IT!" A very artistic goal as if he was painting a picture.

(Sidenote my favourite goal ever - for real this time):

http://www.11meter.net/videos/videoplayer.php?id=vid_negrete.MOV

3. uber_coupon

uber_coupon New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Copland Rear, Ibrox
    Archie Gemmill's goal for Scotland against the Netherlands during the 1978 World Cup in Argentina was always a special one.

Gemmill, who had already put the Scots 2-1 ahead from the penalty spot, waltzed past three Dutch defenders into the penalty area before chipping the ball into the net to score one of the greatest goals in World Cup history.

4. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lars Ricken...3rd goal of Dortmund v Juventus in 97 CL final

5. Crewbasher

Crewbasher Member

Jul 7, 1999
    The Enemy Base
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a quality strike. Fun to watch (even if it is Mexico) ;)

I personally like Clarence Seedorf's 45-yard laser strike a few years back (with Real Madrid - I forget the opponent or what season it was [mid-to-late 90's], but basically he's dribbling upfield unmarked, looks up for a half second, takes a touch, and absolutely hammers a shot from just beyond the center circle that flies inside the left post - seriously, the ball never dips until it hits the net).

6. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    the best goal of all time would the one of maradona in Mexico 86 vs England

Viva la mano santa.

7. eplkewell

eplkewell Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    John Wloyniec scored a nice one in the MLS in 2003, but my favorite has to be the one by Zidane against Ajaw where he runs the opposing defender into his own keeper. A priceless moment.

8. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon Donovan's 2nd half header against Mexico in 2002 WC round of 16. :)

9. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I prefer the goal made by Zidane against Deportivo La Coruña where he moves the ball from one foot to another then brings it back then outruns a defender and shoots it into the net, pure genious.

10. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Roberto Baggio vs. Czechoslovakia at the 1990 World Cup. He got a pass from Giuseppe Giannini at midfield and dribbled around 3 defenders before putting the ball in the back of the net. It was Italy's version of the Maradona run.

11. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    First post here, be gentle.

My personal favorite is the Marco van Basten bycicle (sp) kick against Den Bosch. Granted, the goalkeeper and defenders arent much, and it wasn't exactly what one might call a high-profile match, but the touch, his movement, the curve and the precision in that 6-yard strike still give me goosebumps. It;s available for download at soccerclips, for those who havent seen it yet

Then there's the Rivaldo one for barca. Although physically not as beautifully performed as the van Basten one, the guts it took to take it like that in the final minutes of a very important game.

next on my list is the Carlos Alberto strike. He just came up from so far and with such speed, the fact that Pele can place it exactly in his path, and I mean EXACTLY in his path. Thats impressive.

and finally, Zinedine Zidanes's volley. I just couldnt believe it

12. MOGG

MOGG New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Ireland
    in my opinion it would have to be Zinedine Zidane's volley against Leverkusen...

Technique was perfect and it was on europes biggest club stage....

13. supernewf

supernewf New Member

Dec 6, 2004
    not my favorite ever but Viduka had 2 beauties against Man City. The givn'go with hasselbaink was spectacular!!!!!

14. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ryan Giggs' mazy run from deep in his own half and finally scoring past Seaman in the 1999 FA Cup Semi Final replay. Speed, skill, vision. Plus he made half the Arsenal team look silly.
    Also, George Best's lob over the Spurs goalkeeper from about 10 yards out in about 1968.
    Eric Cantona's chip against West Ham United.

Favorite but not spectacular goals:
    Ray Houghton's header against England in Euro 88
    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's winner in the 1999 CL Final
    John O'Brien's goal against Portugal to set the ball rolling for the US in 2002 WC

15. PGHscouser

PGHscouser New Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Nor' Borahs, PGH PA
    Howdy,

Bit biased, but that's because I was snooping around on a ROMA website...Mancini's flick-on goal against Lazio last year is pretty impressive.

There's a video link at...www.coolioz.com/0304/0304_filmato_romalazio_mancini_sfide.html

Coupled with the fact that it was against Lazio...how can ya blame me.

But aye, gimme a Gerrard blast from outside the box anyday and I'll be happy.

Take care all,

DPW

16. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There was a goal by Roberto Mancini while he was still playing at Lazio that at the time was voted Best goal ever in Serie A. It was on a corner kick, Mihaijlovic crossed it, and Mancini went to recieve it and Backheeled it in the air into the top corner. The Link is here:

When you get to the site, click on the soccer ball on the left that is next to the phrase: I MIGLIORI NUMERI 10
    Then, Look on the right hand side and scroll down to Mancini Roberto.
    Then, click on Filmati. Then scroll down and find Video 9 and click on it. That's the goal.
    Sorry you have to do all this but when you see the goal it's worth it...
    http://www.numeri10.it/html/presentazione/index.htm

17. Simosa

Simosa New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    London
    It was against Barnsley FA Cup 3rd round, January 1997. I was at that game, easily the best goal I've seen in the flesh.

Bergkamp vs Argentina in WC 98 and Maradona vs England WC 86 (the second one) weren't bad either.

18. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Not quite as good as Mancini's ( :p ) flying backheel vs Lazio

19. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    1982 World Cup Marco Tardelli's goal that put Italy up 3-0 and put the Nail in the German Coffin.

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I'll mention two Soviet goals that stand out:

In 1975 UEFA Supercup, Oleg Blokhin picks up the ball about 15 yards beyond his own penalty box, advances it all the way to the Bayern box, all by himself, about a 70-yard sprint... once he gets there, he finds himself against all 4 Bayern defenders, including the recent (1974) World Cup winners Georg Schwarzenbeck and Franz Beckenbauer... Blokhin proceeds to dribble through all of then and sidefoot the ball into the side netting against Sepp Maier.... (the Ukranian soccer site has the goal)

Sometimes in 1977 or so in the Societ Premier League, Vladimir Gutzaev was, as usual, playing on the right flank for Dinamo Tbilisi, with the ball near the left corner of the box against 4 Shakhter Donetzk defenders. Gutzaev then, much like Blokhin, took the entire Shakhter defense one-by-one within about a 5-7 yard radius and then punched it into the corner.

As to bicycle kicks, Klaus Fischer and Hugo Sanzhez scored quite a few of them.

Of the great long distance shots, my two faves are Ari Haan's rocket against Dino Zoff in the 1978 WC semis and Andi Brehme's great curve against Hans van Breukelen in the 1990 1/16s.

21. Rui Costa

Rui Costa New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    It is hard to say what is my favourite goal of all time as there are great goals scored every week, but one that stands out is Karel Poborskys scoop lob from the edge of the box from the euro 96 quarter final againest portugal.It was the goal of the tournament.It is a skill I enjoy and am particulary adept at myself, though it is very rare to see it in matches,even moreso to see it result in a goal.

Another rare type of goal is the volley scored from outside the box from a flighted corner like the one Mendieta scored for Valencia.It flew into the top corner.Amazing.

22. DanielHSV

DanielHSV New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Hamburg, Germany
    To name a few:
    Van Basten vs. USSR 88
    Bergkamp vs. Argentina 94
    Maradona vs. England 86 (not the 1 with the hand ;))
    Rivaldo vs. Valencia 01
    Henry vs. ManU 00
    and of course Magath vs. Juve 83 :)

23. Aguante Bielsa

Aguante Bielsa BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 25, 2004
    Argentina
    Maradona's second goal against England in Mexico '86 has to be my favorite.

Then there's a special mention for his first goal in that match, the "Hand of God" (crappy name, but whatever). I love that goal because ever since then I've heard many English football fans say things like "Oh, but at least we didn't cheat, unlike those dirty Argies", when in fact their only WC title was achieved through blatant cheating...

24. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    That's my favorite goal too. He dribbled from half line passed through 5 English defenders and a goalkeeper and scored it.
    It is one of the most memorable goal in the world cup history.

25. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    well seedorf scored a bullet when he played for real madrid from nearly have field. landon donovans left footed shot into the bottom corner agaisnt poland i think cant remember.