What is your favorite goal ever?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by MOGG, Dec 2, 2004.

1. MOGG

MOGG New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Ireland
    What is the best goal you have ever seen???

Most recently the one that sticks in my mind is Dennis Berkamps goal against Newcastle last season..........

2. usa1950

usa1950 Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Indiana USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ronnie Radford, 1971. Playing for Hereford, I think, in England.

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  4. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian McBride's goal against Mexico in WC 2002-by a country mile.

It has more to do Reyna's brillant run than the actual strike, as we (US fans) had been waiting for this moment and that kind of play from Claudio in a big match; so often he seemed to stir up the USMNT fanbase in a negative way. But that run...it's like he gave all his Big Soccer critics the finger-in spades.

He's a favorite player of mine, so I'm biased. But neverthless that play is one I return a lot. He answered a lot of questions IMO.

5. King Rooney

King Rooney New Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Leicester
    When Owen got his hat-trick vs Germany or beckham's penalty vs argentina

6. Revelian

Revelian Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Midgar
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In no particular order:

- That goal by Bergkamp against Argentina in 1998. There's a photo above that someone posted.

- That goal by Maradona against England in 1986. Cheating bastard.

- Trevor Sinclair's goal for QPR (bicycle kick). I have forgotten who it was against.

- David Beckham's goal against Wimbledon in 1995 (the one from the half-way line).

- Pick a Ronaldo goal - at Barca there were a couple that just took the piss.

I was also tempted to pick Michael Owen's goal against Argentina in 1998, but all of the above goals were better, in my opinion.

Revelian

7. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    Van Basten in the Euro 88 Final.

8. penubly

penubly Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I agree. Best strike in a final for sure.

Most of the other entries seem to be fans showing their colors, not dispassionate evaluation!!

:cool:

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

that's the biggest and best to be sure, but i was only counting ones i saw happen live - i was in birmingham, alabama when lord dennis applied the dagger to argentina and i went freakin' nuts like i had scored... those southerners had no idea what was going on lol

10. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm all over the Bergkamp goal. heck, he had just got off the train.

actually, the goal wasn't the thing, was it? it just may have been the best first touch in the history of organized football, but i'm hopelessly biased. :D :D

11. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't there a thread just like this a couple of days ago? - oh well seems to have disapeared anyway, maybe I'm just getting deja vu.

"Van Basten in the Euro 88 Final."
    "I agree. Best strike in a final for sure."

Van Basten's strike was definitely a beut. I don't know if any of you saw the cup winners cup in 1995 but it was between Real Zaragoza and Arsenal. The match was 1-1 and heading for a penalty shootout. Then, in the 120th minute, Zayim, a former Spurs player, wacked the ball from the halfway line over Seaman, under the crossbar and into the net to win the game for Zaragoza with the last kick of the match. That was my favorite goal of all time.

12. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC
    If I am not mistaken, this goal was scored against Coventry city and I was not happy.

13. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
  14. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, probably it is when the votes are all in, but I'm going to challenge that with this: Antonin Panenka's penalty in the 1976 European Championship.

I think it was Pele who said it was the work of either a genius or a madman.

One of the great goals that I rarely see talked about on these boards,

15. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Ilhan Mansiz's Golden Goal in the 2002 World Cup that sent Turkey to the semifinals against Brazil...

16. Van Norden

Van Norden New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Romario, playing for Barcelona against Valencia (?).

Running, he took a high ball on his chest and lobbed the goalkeeper from around 30 yards.

Arrogant, cheeky, skillful, beautiful, and performed with total nonchalance.

17. penubly

penubly Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Isn't that the chip shot? Definitely ballsy, I'll give you that, but a set piece is the easiest position to get a good touch on the ball.

Marco's full volly from way outside is just the most technically brilliant piece of play I have seen. To accomplish it in a major final puts it over the top for me.

Just my .02!!

18. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it was-I'll post it if I have time. Yeah, Marco's strike probably is the best. But cheek and ballsy quality of that penalty...too cool.

19. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    From a personal point of view.

1991 Gascoigne v Arsenal FA Cup semi final at Wembley. Supreme goal at a supreme moment.

David Ginola scored about 5 or 6 in the 1998/9 season that were unbelievable as well.

20. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Henry catching the ball with his back turned to the goal on the left corner of the box, spinning, and whopping the volley into the upper right-hand corner of the net vs. Man United in 2000/2001.

21. Revelian

Revelian Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Midgar
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A gorgeous goal, but better than Maradona's against England?

Revelian

22. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    I posted this before:

http://www.11meter.net/videos/video...vid negrete.MOV

A little talked about goal, scored at WC86, a diving scissors kick after 2 half volleys between 2 Mexican teammates vs. Bulgaria. Beautiful.

Haven't seen a goal of this kind before or since. And doubt I ever will.

23. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
  24. phenomenom

phenomenom New Member

May 19, 2004
    I should pick Zidane's winner against Bayer Leverkusen in 2002 UCL final. Not only it was a great goal, but it was scored in a final match, when you expect everybody to play the game of their life. What do you think? I also love to watch Van Basten's volley against USSR in EURO '88 again and again. Before I forget, Carlos Alberto's goal against Italy in final World Cup '70 was great too. Okay. They are all truly wonderful goal.

25. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Poland's Olisadebe against Ukraine in the 2002 Qualifiers as a personal favorite because of my fandom, otherwise it has to be Stoichkov's blast in the 1994 World Cup, does anybody have a link to that goal?