What is your dangerous idea?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Attacking Minded, Jan 4, 2006.

1. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

no kidding.

Besides - which is better for the economy - DINKs who spend money willynilly, or families who save to pay for their kids' college (nevermind that if they did a better job making their kid smart or athletic, it wouldn't be needed)? I thought our society was driven by consumption, not investment.

2. aGuyatTexasTech

aGuyatTexasTech New Member

Oct 15, 2004
    Lubbock
    My idea is that God was defeated by Satan and the Bible is only a trick written by Satan. Who would know?

3. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, and wrestle it away from this man?

[​IMG]

Really, I love DE posts. Love 'em all.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody, you already have it.

Really?

Those taxes aren't a user fee.

Except for the fact that it's true.

Who is gonna be paying for your medicine and your SS when you're an old fart? My kids. Pay up now, bitch.

5. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no difference in the voting, economic, and/or social power of married DINKs and unmarried childless income earners, whether they're cohabitating or not.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True...in general, our society hates children and their parents.

7. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My dangerous ideas:

Legalize industrial hemp and cannabis in general. Hemp is grown for food and for various industrial purposes including paper, textiles, rope, etc in EVERY industrialised nation in the world except the bastion of freedom that is the USof A. Our economy needs diversification. Hemp could provide that. Here are a few facts that might surprise readers:

Hemp (the male plant) is scheduled as a Class 1 narcotic despite having negligible, trace amounts of THC. Smoking it will give you a headache and a scratchy throat. Nothing more. In 1938 Popular Mechanics magazine proclaimed that hemp could be a $1 Billion crop. One 1 acre of land under hemp cultivation can produce as much paper as 4 acres of trees. As deforestation is such a huge problem, and b/c the US uses an inordinate amount of paper products, this should be a no brainer. Our good friends at Dow Chemical, and the timber lobby don't like the idea though. Dow produuces a lot of the chemicals that are required to extract pulp from trees to make paper. Hemp requires far fewer of these types of chemicals, thus potentially cutting into their profits.

As we are currently exporting a great number of manufacturing jobs overseas that sector of the US economy is dying. Hemp could revive that. It will grow almsot anywhere. Allowing farmers to grow a crop that has so much economic potential would be a boon to the manufacturing sector. Clothes, rope, even the entire interior of an automobile can be made from hemp products. The seeds are edible and a great source of Omega 3 fatty acids. Imagine factories around the nation being rehabbed or built for the production of hemp based products all across the nation. This could provide jobs to huge numbers of peopel allowing them to get off of welfare or being forced to work at jobs that pay next to nothing. Small towns that are dying out could be rejuvenated, taking pressure off of the suburban areas, perhaps even having a trickle down effect for slowing sprawl. Farmers could diversify and grow a new crop.

I recieved a letter recently from Joe Pitts (R) Congreesman from my district saying that while he understood that hemp had a great deal of economic potential--it would be improper to legalize it, b/c that would make it easier to grow pot. Horse sh!t It's a political excuse to keep it ilegal for corporate interest. So legalize pot. Our economy needs a boost--and not just for the Wall Street types. It is completely ludicrous to outlaw a plant to begin with, especialy considering that tobbacco is not only legal but subsidise by the government.

This is a brief excerpt from the PM article of 1938:
    Hemp is the standard fiber of the world. It has great tensile strength and durability. It is used to produce more than 5,000 textile products, ranging from rope to fine laces, and the woody "hurds" remaining after the fiber has been removed contain more than 77 percent cellulose, which can be used to produce more than 25,000 products, ranging from dynamite to Cellophane.

8. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Mass hysteria!

9. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    How does that matter? Most taxes aren't. It's in everyone's best interest to have good schools, though, which is why they're essential.

And other people's kids. And other younger people who don't have kids. And older people. Oh, and me.

Over the course of a lifetime, it balances out.

Utterly preposterous. This is as off-the-mark as the far-right-wing belief that Christians face rampant discrimination in the US.

10. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Again, I support legalizing the stuff, but some of this doesn't gel with my experience. The pair of hemp boots I bought had holes within 6 weeks. I recently bought a pair of vegan shoes with hemp shoelaces, and the shoelaces snapped within three days. Miracle fiber my ass.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for you!

No, you'll be retired.

No, completely true. As Quincy Jones so eloquently put it, or Whitney Houston, children are our future. We need a few more of 'em, and we'd get 'em with tax policies that weren't so hostile toward families with children.

12. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    I believe with the advent of acid, we discovered new ways to think and it has to do with piecing together new thoughts of mind. Why is it that people are so afraid of it? What is it about it that scares people so deeply? Because they are afraid that there is more to reality than they have ever confronted. That there are doors that they are afraid to go in and they don't want us to go in there either because if we go in, there we might learn something that they don't know... and that makes us a little out of their control

take it for what it's worth.

13. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unrelated issues.

1. You say "true" but you're missing the point. You don't want gay marriage because you don't want more married DINKs. But there's no extra economic or voting power given to married DINKs vs. unmarried, just as there's no extra economic or voting power given to people who cohabitate vs. people who don't. It's not like getting married suddenly makes someone wealthier, or gives them a third bonus vote in an election. Your hate is for those of us who don't have kids, whether we're married or unmarried, gay or straight. And I can't help that.

2. Single and DINK society doesn't hate children and parents, it hates those parents who forget basic rules of human interaction and decorum when it comes to their offspring. Kids can be moody, rambunctious, messy, sick, loud and hyper -- that's what kids do, and it's no fault of their own that they're like that. But if your kid is a terror, then don't take him to Per Se. You just don't.

14. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All the more reason to have the MADE IN THE USA label then! :)

15. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not just allow for greater immigration? Get the immigrants when they're 19 or 20 years old, after they've had whatever education they need, and get them to work.

It's not like the planet is lacking people.

16. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The longest serving Independent in Congress, and soon-to-be-Senator, Rep. Bernie Sanders would be an outstanding POTUS.

http://bernie.house.gov/

17. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Uh...why do "we" need kids again?

At one time, americans needed kids as cheap labor to work the farm. Now we got mexicans for that.

there will always be someone to "do the work". And they will pay the taxes that support the social security system. (well, if we're all not multimillionaires after social security reform, like Bush promises).

Every year the planet makes more people, and consumes more of the world's resources, many of them at a faster rate than they can be renewed. What's wrong with a little birth control? We can afford it.

18. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes that is a chioce but you might know. One of Jupiter's 32 moons or Saturn's 16 moons is all ice. The Earth's food resources are fine. Other resources might not be...Parental concernments comes first.

20. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Then again, maybe it's just getting a buzz on

Are they still taking LSD out there?

21. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heres a REAL dangerous idea.

I no longer believe that making more money and buying nice things has a direct effect on my happiness.

22. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I finally figured out who Damon Esquire is...

He's the guy that writes the nonsense paragraphs that sneaks spam past the filters.

23. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Boy you're a dork. You only pay half attention to other posts. You only seem to relate in as much as they feed your self perpetuating thought pattern.

I never said that the genes cause an effect on economics. I said that the wealth causes the gene pool to shift in favor of poor people as the rich don't maintain their share of children. I asked what is it that the wealthy do that causes the wealthy to breed themselves out of existence. In response to your blah, blah, blah bojendyk hit around it. You completely missed the question.

24. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    Yes, for one, rich people ****** with condoms.

25. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    Leagalizing hemp would not fundamentally change the future of the human race.