What is your dangerous idea?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Attacking Minded, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    A magazine asked 100 thinkers (BTW - who is not a thinker? .... Never mind. The mods don't have the time to clean up after that question.;)) what is their most dangerous idea. There were some interesting responses and a few lame ones. The most prominent (at least got honorable mention at the top of the page) I think I posted a few months ago,

Anyway there is some interesting stuff here:
    http://www.edge.org/q2006/q06_print.html#rees

And, if anyone wants to rise to the occasion, what is your most dangerous idea (and don't mention anything to do with politics, please? That would be too lame.)

2. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    BTW - I thought this was profound,

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Cats and dogs living together.

4. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
  5. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    Here is an idea that i posted on a week ago but put in a better format and made more general,

I complained about how on BS one posts an idea and it gets responded to by a day or two by some blogger who has happened to put forth an attractive argument. The need to think for oneself is gone. One can simply blog to figure out what one's opinon should be.

Now this author puts for the idea that "not knowing" is the birth of understanding. Or as he puts it, "if the time between not knowing and knowing becomes too small, creativity will be daunted". THAT is an intersting idea, that our ability to progress, be creative is hurt by a tools of learning new ideas, i.e. the internet.

6. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I thought so as well.

7. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Well, this is not my dangerous idea, but it's Mark Steyn's dangerous idea:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110007760

And it's simply the fact that in the west, but in western Europe in particular, Muslim's are going to out-breed westerners, and thereby acquire by default the power over western civilization.

[/font]

8. Attacking Minded

Jun 22, 2002
    I've been posting that on BS for a couple of years.

If genetic traits lead to a population growing or shrinking, being killers (Ghengis Kahn) or tall, what is it that the Europeans are doing such that their birth rates keep falling? And, since it's not just Europe that sees this, what action would change the genes in rich countries to cause birthrates to fall?

9. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    My dangerous idea is that ideas are dangerous.

I mean, think of all the misery that has come about because of "ideas."
    Some super-intelligent proto-human at some time came up with the idea that if he clobbered the guy on the other side of the river, he'd have more food and women. Someone, somewhere came up with the idea of slavery. Someone, somewhere came up with the idea of the Democratic Party. OMG!

So, I think that we should all just eat and screw, to keep the danger to a minimum. Of course, that's an idea too I guess.

10. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My dangerous idea is like Karls-- only much closer to home.

Very soon a majority of the people in the United States will not pay any taxes at all because they are too poor.

Think about that. A majority of the people in the country will be below the poverty line, and they'll vote that way.

Also, the housing bubble will destroy this country.

11. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    My dangerous idea is comparing the behavior of George Bush, in asserting Presidential Privilege as extra-legal and Charles I in asserting Divine Right as extra-legal.

I haven’t gotten very far with this but reading his interpretation of his responsibilities under the Anti-Torture Law really sounds as if he believes REX is LEX.

John Pym please report to the white courtesy phone.

12. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    This thread was meant for dangerous ideas, not ideas that seem profound at 3AM after smoking a bunch of weed.

13. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    I am sorry, this becomes a preposterous notion when you look at the facts.
    The United States is getting richer, not poorer. And in fact, it has always been the case that the richer, and smaller, segments of our population are responsible for the greater share of tax revenues.

And would we want it any other way? After all, that's what it means in one respect to be progressive, right?

By the way, did you read all of Mark Steyn's article? The blue states are losing population as their birth rates decline -- much like the leftist European states they so admire -- while the red state birthrates are rising. So, you are going to be outvoted because you are being outbred.

You're O for 2. Keep trying though.

14. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Well, you're not reading my mind, because I never said that, or never thought it. It's just another one of your many delusions.

By the way, how's that guy McBride doing? Any word on that?

Meanwhile, don't be surprised if Armas gets named as an alternate. He won't be able to participate in the runup, but by early May he should be fit, and ready to step in should disaster strike.

15. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    European Muslims will realize soon enough that fvcking, doing drugs, playing and listening musing, playing and watching football is much better than praying 5 times a day and having 8 kids running around the house.

16. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. And the red states are poorer. Are you familiar with Google? Or government statistics? Typical lack of facts for your rebuttal.

The US Census Bureau currently lists 13% of US residents as being "below the poverty level" (24/197 million). This, however, is based at around $8,000 per year per person. If you can live ANYWHERE on $8,000 per person per year, nice work.

However, the bottom two tax brackets are listed at 10% and 15% for those making less than $10,450 and $39,800, respectively. The median US income is $44,000. If you know the definition of median, it's pretty easy to see that about half of the country makes less than $40k a year.

Add in the fertility rates of the poor vs. the wealthy, and the illegal immigration, and it's pretty easy to see that soon, there will be a lot more poor people than middle-class and rich people. Unless you're blind.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2005pubs/p60-229.pdf

And that doesn't take into account the obvious income disparity, with the small upper classes controlling a higher percent of the funding, making the "without" classes that much larger.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/08/13/national/main635936.shtml

17. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

I think this is essentially true.

America has shown that immigrant cultures effect change in both directions. It changes the host country, but the new immigrants are changed as well - espeically longterm.

"Oh no, the muslims are outbreeding us!" is as pathetic a fear as "them damn irish/italian catholics and their no birth control policy and their families of 15 living in slums and their unswerving loyalty to the pope over the president/king are outbreeding us and will cause catastrophe!".

This is by no means unique to america - the UK has absorbed Irish catholic immigrants without the destruction of their society. They have absorbed waves of indian and pakistani immigrants - a lot of them muslim - without the complete meltdown of society. Heck, most brits wouldn't know what to do if they couldn't get their kebabs and curries after a night out, and the pakistani/indian girls there are more likely to be materialistic than veiled. I ain't saying there aren't occasional problems - but the UK hasn't self-destructed.

Why would the rest of europe be completely different?

I would say that it was a much bigger deal to emancipate the slaves in america - to say that these subhumans are now human. I'm sure the south had many people expecting the freed blacks to go all Haiti on 'em, and take bloody revenge. Yet...they were assimilated too (tho people can argue not totally - but the back to africa movement is pretty weak right now)

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you joking? I have no idea what this sentence could possibly mean that would be in the same universe as objective reality.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not genes, it's economics. Not to threadjack, but probably the key reason I oppose gay marriage is that it will increase the number, and therefore the power, of DINK households. Such households already have too much economic and political power. Throw in the changing ratio of retirees to workers, and you've got a problem.

It's solvable, but as governments are wont to do, they probably won't solve it until half a generation after it becomes a crisis.

20. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    Bah, what's it to you? If you want to be a DINK you either have had, or will have your chance. Don't deny other people that opportunity just because you can't/couldn't do it. Dangerous idea!

21. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    If you really want birth rates to rise, remove the minimum wage, eliminate welfare, and most importantly get that infant mortality rate up to where it was in the good old days.

Steyn's yammering about the untermenschen breeding like rabbits is certainly worrisome. But, nothing a genocide or two wouldn't cure. Worked on the Jews.

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ********ing without a condom.

23. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Get rid of the moderators in the Politics & Current Events forum.

24. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Who do my wife and I contact about obtaining this excess economic and political power that you mention?

We don't get any deductions for children, and we pay pretty decent income taxes to fund schools that we won't have children to attend. (Unless we change our mind at some point in the future.) All of that is fine, but it's totally ridiculous to state that DINK households have too much economic and political power.

25. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like all transportation to be intranet into one command circuit. i.e all 95,000 boats destroy by hurrican season. In 100 years, one could build a barge. Send it with minimum personnel and tow most out of harms way. Cost effecient and time lapse. US Coast Guard could easily capture World Rescue Title. Even small airplanes. I wonder... By seafeering dream in a hurricane.