What is Wrong With Some People?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Chicago1871, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? What would Bush have to gain from such actions? Or do you believe that he is just a sadistic maniac?

2. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    This is an excellent post, and one of your better ones.

3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bamboo is high in fiber.

4. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is embarassing that even a small group of Americans have these views. It is part of the price we pay for a true diversity of viewpoints.

On the other hand, up to 9/10/2001, I was glad to watch as people of Muslim faith increased in number and integrated into US society, not unlike the Amish, Catholics, Unitarians, and Jews of previous decades. Then some rich and middle-class Saudis decided to crash airplanes and kill people - and not for political or "class warfare" reasons, but for basically religious ones (the infidel stepped on "sacred" Saudi ground - conveniently forgetting that it was while defending that sacred ground from an atheist dictator).

I'm not sure what the 9/11 attacks were supposed to accomplish, but improving the status of Muslim Americans was not one of the end results.

5. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    I'll base it on the fact that the Muslim who does some woodwork for us is here because his house in Serbia was torched, his store in Serbia was looted and torched, and he is barely hanging on here.

I think he'd take some wacko phone calls and "tension" and maybe a few EEOC cases in place of near genocide. Maybe I am wrong.

I'll take American redneck's talking the talk now and again to people actually walking the walk.

6. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Oh, bullshit. Our papers are filled with lots of hate but the bigotry is being overrated by you guys. There are institutionalized problems and instituationalize racism in this country but the vast, vast majority of Americans don't waste time on being aggressively bigoted and violent about it.

Cite some stats that it is growing. I am also interested in whatever stats you have to show that it is "high", whatever that means. Cite some stats that show that Muslim economic welfare is sinking in this country.

I think it is about as nutty to compare anti-Muslim hatred to institutionalized, governmenal agression as these callers are.

7. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    I get it. People are stupid about torture, therefore the racists will take control of the country.

While you are at it, they will kill all the fat people too.

8. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Don't get me started on the Hmong, for chrissakes....

9. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    I have the floor and YOU SHUTTUPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    I'm basing that statement on the rise of nationalist parties in European countries such as France, Austria, Denmark and others. I have a couple of friends from that part of the world who are very Islamophobic, despite being otherwise intelligent and erudite people. They wouldn't advocate crescent tattoos or anything like that, but they're strongly opposed to any further Muslim immigration. And I wonder, if the intelligent ones have such an attitude, what could you expect from your average Johann Six-Pack?

I just don't see the same thing in the US, at least where I live. Maybe it's because I live in Minnesota and we're a little bit better about that sort of thing than the rest of the country. From my experiences, Americans are more tolerant than people give them credit for. In almost nine years as an immigrant in this country, I've never experienced any discrimination. But again, that could be a regional thing.

To answer "Belgian Guy", yes I have lived in Europe, though it was in the part of Europe that fell on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain, so I suppose it doesn't much help my credibility in talking about Western Europe. I'm not trying to lump the region as a whole - there are countries that have been better and worse about this.

11. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm getting a strange tingly feeling....

12. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    For the same reason he has hundreds of innocent arabs interred in guantanamo now. For the same reason he's torturing now, it would just be worse, if he could.

13. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the reason in your opinion?

14. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fringe is chalk full obviously, but there are a lot of people with this sentiment who are considered the Republican base.

15. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not enough to make a lick of difference.

16. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    They may be part of the Republican base, but the last time I checked there is nothing in the Republican platform about tattooing crescents, sending Muslims home or anything remotely similar to that. When that happens (and it won't), then we have a cause for concern.

17. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This assumes that no one in our current government or power structure believes these things, which is a hugely optimistic assumption.

You CANNOT dismiss this sort of ignorance out of hand, you have to condemn it, whenever and wherever it happens. History has taught us this over and over again.

18. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure you can dismiss such things. Do you believe that ELF is representitive of a large swath of the democratic party base? Do all democrats want to burn down ski lodges or raid lumber operations? No. Because they are wackjobs.

But I would love to see some proof that anyone in power believes that tatooing cresents on people is acceptable.

19. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    What's the reason in your opinion? OR do you think that we wouldn't see these practices in an expanded way if he had the political ability to do it?

PS ditto civil liberties

20. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So your excuse is that people aren't aggressively acting out? Racism and bigotry are not bad only when they involve organized action. People spouting their hate and ignorance, even on occasion, is bad enough that it needs to be addressed. People passing such beliefs on to their children or spreading the cancer of hate in their communities is bad enough to warrant attention.
    From the Boston Globe in 2005

Pitt Law 2006 Report

June 2006

Feel free to check out some comments on this very topic at the Free Republic site as well.
    Nazism didn't start out as institutionalized governmental aggression, but eventually the German government was made up of men who supported the Nazi cause. Right now I'm not so much concerned that the US government is full of people who would institute such heinous actions, but that there are a decent number of people who would support such individuals.

21. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see the expansion for expansion's sake.

22. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. There isn't.

23. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    That's not what I asked. If Bush had a freer hand here politically, would these practices be expanded and if so why?

24. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No they wouldn't be expanded because the people that need to be detained already are. A freer political climate would not effect that.

Why do you believe it would expand? Does Bush just enjoy imprisioning and torturing people for shits and giggles?

25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    You're taking the way Muslims were treated in Serbia as representative for all of Europe?