Review: What is up with the Crew website and CCCL?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ferrigamo, Feb 28, 2010.

1. ferrigamo

ferrigamo Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Springfield, Ohio
    There is a game coming in a little over a week and there seems to be nothing about it at all on the Crew website! I am planning on freezing my butt for that game and they have said nothing about it! Why??:confused:

2. zemp68

zemp68 Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Maine
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ineptness?

3. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No need to draw attention to your own ass kicking.

4. Tyneside4life

Tyneside4life Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why spend money advertising for something that may not happen?

5. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's assume that there isn't a strike, or lockout, and the snow has melted enough for the game to go forward. Let's assume the weather is more or less normal for March 9, after sundown, and in Columbus Ohio.

So it's 30 degrees, and likely raining. Who will go, regardless of how much effort the front office spends, besides hardcore Crew fans (who probably have already made plans) plus Toluca fans (ditto)? Certainly not marginal fans, or the mommies of 9 year old soccer players. So the effort is wasted.

And then there is the issue of why make a bigger deal out of advertising what we expect to end badly.

6. Arkose

Arkose Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The snow should all be gone by March 9th after about 6 days of 40+ degree's.

The rain will suck though. I can talk my wife to the game if it was 45 degree's and no rain. If it is raining, there is near 0 chance.

I'm not worried about the game being sold out so ill wait untill game time before buying.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention that it is a CONCACAF event. I'd imagine that our FO isn't advertising it for many of the same reasons why they don't really advertise USOC games.

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Supporter: Philadelphia Union, Colorado Rapids
    Foe: New York Red Bulls, FC Dallas

Huh? :confused:

9. HSH_b

HSH_b New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your gonna pay a pretty penny to pay day of game, FYI. Might consider going to the stadium the day before and getting your ticket so you dont have to pay the +5 minimum day of game price per ticket...

10. Arkose

Arkose Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in Columbus :cool: but I don't consider Ohio my home by any means. (at-least right now)

I'm more curious about how Philly is putting their team together, than actually a "hard core fan."

Colorado was my first team in the league and I just can't shake them off of me, no matter how bad they become/are.

No matter what though, I hate FC Dallas and RBNY.

(fixed the supporter section anyways)

11. Arkose

Arkose Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whats the current price? I might just have to suffer through the extra money. I'm getting the 5 pack though.

12. HSH_b

HSH_b New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I know were selling Supporters Tickets in the HSH section of 141 for 17.00. But past that I'm not sure how much higher their normal rate is, I think you should call and check if you can get that 5 pack day of game, it might not be available.

13. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    And I still think that's a weak excuse. I'm not saying that the Crew need to break the bank on advertising these non-league games, but to not spend any more because it's not "your" event only makes sense - from strict economics - is if the team doesn't see a single penny from anything. If every single penny goes to CONCACAF, maybe I could understand it but otherwise it makes no sense to me.

It would be like a college team not advertising a home NIT game just because it's an NIT game and not a regular season home game.

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I agree. Does it really matter which event it is (CONCACAF, MLS, USSF, other?) It's still a Crew game and it's midly depressing watching a Crew game in front of 1,000 people, or however few will be there.

15. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'd be there with my OU boys but seeing as the game is on a tuesday night...when I have a 7-9 class. so as much as I wish they'd put more ads up I understand why they haven't.

16. nationalsoccerradio

nationalsoccerradio New Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, they are advertising this game on Sports Radio 97.1 in Columbus. Heard it today between Spielman and the Torg talking hockey.

17. zemp68

zemp68 Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Maine
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially when you consider the Crew keeps ALL the revenue from these games, unlike league games which the league takes a piece out of.

Makes it all the more inept.

18. nationalsoccerradio

Dec 9, 2009
    Midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, they ARE advertising it (see my post above). And technically posting it on your own website isn't really advertising it. That's like saying Home Depot should "advertise" by putting their name on the inside of the store.

Not having it up on their website is very odd, but my guess is that it's not an oversight. They had all of the previous CCL games on the site. Something tells me there is more to this than gross negligence.

19. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    I'm not sure why you say it's not being advertised. In all my favorite Latino grocery stores I find posters on the door advertising the Toluca-Crew match on the 9th (and they actually have pictures of a Crew player on the poster - I think it was Gino).

20. ferrigamo

ferrigamo Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Springfield, Ohio
    To nationalsoccerradio and others talking about the radio or paying for advertising. My beef about advertising was directly about the crew website, the one place where they do not have to spend a penny to get the word out to anyone who looks up the site. I am glad to hear that it is on radio, but it was not on the website front page! It was not anywhere in the schedule!! What is up with that?!!??
    Also, I expect few people to show for the game, in fact, I expect far more support for the away team than for the home team. It is like the front office knows this and decided just to give up. I will not. Neither should any of you!

21. Tyneside4life

Tyneside4life Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

22. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're watching us...
    [​IMG]

23. nationalsoccerradio

Dec 9, 2009
    Midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great. Guille is on the poster for a game he can't play in. I guess you can see him sitting on the bench.

24. Clutz

Clutz Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Why do they continue to do it to themselves? There's no reason they couldn't have had put a preview up there a month ago (or whenever), but instead they only give themselves a week of lead time.

It stinks of incompetence to me. I mean, why else would you do it that way?

25. beyondthenormal-s3

Oct 4, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Obviously whoever they hired as the new digital content editor rocks. :D