What is the US homefield advantage?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by PYordan, Dec 2, 2004.

1. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it has to do with the fact that we just don't play any teams that are significantly better than us. The only team I recall coming in here to beat us multiple times was Holland.

Usually we play either CONCACAF teams (any of which we can beat at home, and have), and South American and European teams on vacation--who usually bring B-/C+ teams.

It's hard to get a real estimate about who we could beat at home among the world's best because we never get them here for meaningful competition.

Our dominant record against CONCACAF has to do with, well, it being CONCACAF. Mexico and Costa Rica are the only decent teams we have to play (sometimes Honduras, Jamaica, or Guatemala will give us a game).

2. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only did the top four, but here are the stats for all of the home and away series the teams have played in the last 8 years (any pair of home and away games of the same competition level between two teams count, IE this year's series between the US and Poland is counted):

Code:
                Home             Road
    Team        Games  GF   GA   Games  GF   GA
    Mexico      17     65    6   17     21   14
    U.S.A.      19     43   12   19     23   17
    Costa Rica  20     44   16   20     21   26
    Honduras    17     40   13   17     40   28
    Those jibe more or less with No Six's numbers. Mexico's home field, of course, looks absolutely ridiculous.

3. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I'm curious, do any of these sentences end? Or was this an exercise in stream of consciousness?

4. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    I thought he made some good points....

5. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    stream of consciousness....

much like soccer....flow without a clear start, except the opening and closing whistles...

structured sentences do NOT adequately capture the nature and flow of the game !!

soccer is more like poetry...but I'm a bad poet, hence my endless streaming...

6. FutbolCrazy

FutbolCrazy BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 5, 2002
    Colorado
    The USSF should look into another potential advantage....

Scheduling games in NFL/College stadiums so that the opposition will be dazed and confused by the pointy-ball markings.

:p