What is the problem with Canada?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Jun 11, 2016.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things were never going to be as bad as that first game with the Netherlands.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That worries me a bit. The best way to improve fitness levels of the players that have just come off a long European season is to give them a rest. And the MLS players should be at their peak right now, a few days off shouldn't hurt.

majspike repped this.
  3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine part of it is wanting to spend more time with the team given he’s had such little time already.

4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Worries you? Why would an English guy care? Haha... this guy thinks he is a fitness expert.

5. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I want to come back to this one.

6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Most who watch the first game would disagree. Canada actually had a good 1st half against the Dutch and didn't concede. Most anticipated France to put the game out of reach in the first half that didn't happen

7. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Marsh adjusted his tactics for France. The constant high pressure in the first 15 mins against the Dutch worked, after that, it did not. Kind of like the lesson Herdman had to learn against Croatia in the World Cup.

8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except it turns out that soccer is a 90 minute game. So one can’t just say the first half was good it doesn’t matter what happened in the second.

For 77 minutes the US was in a close game against Columbia. But you can’t write off the last 13 minutes where the wheels came off.

9. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the difference though was this was Marsch’s second team with the game. So he’s obviously going to continue to adjust tactics as things go.

CANPRO repped this.
  10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huih? What game were you watching?

AGomes and Robert Borden repped this.
  11. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US did not get outplayed really in the first half by that much they just gave up two soft goals. And they looked better in the second half including Weah’s goal. And then the wheels came off the last 15 minutes or so.

gogorath repped this.
  12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm not minizing the fact that this is a 90 minutes game and the 2nd half against the Dutch "in the Netherlands" wasn't great. However, I'm not minimizing that they had 3 good half out of 4 "in" the Netherlands and "in" France.

This will help the team a lot for Copa America as Chile and Peru are must wins to advance thinking that Argentina will win the opening game.

superdave repped this.
  13. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a general rule I don’t read too much into friendly results either way. For one teams don’t always play hard in friendlies.

The US tied France in 2018 for instance, right after failing to qualify for the World Cup and and right before France was about to win. But that friendly didn’t really mean anything.

I didn’t put a ton of weight into the Netherlands game for Canada and I don’t put a ton of weight into this either. France for instance didn’t press Canada to the extent the Netherlands did and Mbappe only played a short amount. Marsch has also spent very little time with the team so far.

I’ll put more weight into the Copa games but that will be tempered by the fact Canada has a new coach who’s barely been with the team. So I’d still take a wait and see approach even if the tournament went badly for Canada.

14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My point wasn't to convince that Canada is on that level or superior to our concacaf friends who also had difficulties of their own. I'm pointing out that there's lots of positives for the team after those 2 games that will help them in Copa America win or lose.

For those who understand French, L'équipe analyzed the game and they praised Crepeau and our midfield. They felt that Rabiot's absence showed but Eustaquio and Kone matched up very well against Camavinga and Kante. They aren't minimizing Canada's performance.

All things considered, this was a good step forward dor the team to play like this in France. While we lack some depth, some of the guys in the starting XI are very underrated and might have secured better moves in the near future.

15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    superdave repped this.
  16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    2018 1-1 draw against France really highlighted the quality of the rising players, which meant quite a bit. Germany is the only other team to blank France in the past 18 matches. That means quite a bit w/re to Canada's quality and potential.

17. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Do you know how they decide which team doesn't play hard? Looking forward to see how this narrative morphs on here in the future.

18. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent work from the MLS coach!

19. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn’t it 2-1 at the time? Is 2-1 not close?

20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    MLS Canadian National Team Coach!

21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A game where the US managed to give away 5 goals which involved about 8 errors.

- goal 1, give away by Robinson in the box, Turner beaten on near post.
    - goal 2, unmarked player on back post, Turner should have saved
    - goal 3, #WPIOOTBGW
    - goal 4, unmarked player on penalty spot
    - goal 5, #WPIOOTBGW

Don't get me wrong, it was a horrible performance but the one-sided scoreline was totally down to individual errors.

22. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    When you're as broke as we are, I don't care what his title is if some people have agreed to essentially crowd fund his salary.

23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I get it, but have a feeling you will regret it in 5 to 10 years.

It is inevitable, but I would have hated to just have conceded to MLS' takeover of our national team/soccer in this country. The rise of concacaf will will be slowed significantly by the weight of MLS around all of our necks. Pretty wild to think Mexico is so ********ed up, that MLS might actually be able to help them.

Also, any jokes I make about Canada arent directed at you.

24. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003