What is the problem with Canada?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Jun 11, 2016.

1. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Did the gaffer snub any aces from the Croatian league?

3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What we really need is a Uruguay Canada game given all the comments Marsch made about Biesla after he started at Leeds.

4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    ******** Canada with their MLS players and MLS national team coach. I am glad to have a reason to really root against this team. It would be great to see Bielsa just toy with that MLSNT coach. It would probably be similar to Van Gahl vs that other one trick pony, Behalter or what happened when that silly Canadian who got a little too big for his britches at the WC.

If Mr Redbull soccer left a player from the Croatian league off for one of those MLS bums, he is dumber than what I thought or the MLS owners bought more than the coach's title.

5. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    As the old saying goes.... You can take the player out of MLS, but you can't take the MLS defending out of the player.

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Not a good scoreline for the MLS National Team coach. Anybody watch? Was the score indicative of the game? Your buddy Max claims it should have been worse, but I wouldn't trust anything he says about soccer.

7. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean they’re calling up MLS players because that’s what they have. There’s not a lot of Canadians playing in top 5 leagues and this roster is basically the best they have.

Game wasn’t available for me to watch but the third goal looked like a goalkeeping error to me

I don’t think the goalie was great on the 4th goal either

The second goal looked like it might have been offsides to me (and I’m assuming no VAR for a friendly) but also rare to see someone outrun Davies like that

Not a great performance but Marsch said afterwords he’s only spent something like three days with the team beforehand so hard to judge too much.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Next up France and Argentina.

Good luck. (Said in the voice similar to the one from the movie Taken.)

superdave and Three and Three repped this.
  9. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    My personal opinion is that anytime you station Alphonso Davies to left back, you are setting Canada up for failure. I get that he plays left back when he is on the field for the biggest teams in the world, but on that Canada squad he needs to be in a much more influential position. Of course, there is no way to play that makes a loss less than extremely likely for Canda playing Netherlands away. I think that it was 0-0 at the half is more surprising than that it finished with a big scoreline favoring the Dutch.

superdave repped this.
  10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 of the goals happened in 13 minutes. You'd have to watch the whole match to make a really informed judgement.

Three and Three and gomichigan24 repped this.
  11. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I think there's some teams you can play Davies as a LB and have him dominate, but teams that are better than you are not it. It's just going to be hard for these teams to eliminate him by pinning him back with a strong attacker.

Against crappier teams, basically relieve him of defensive duties, protect him with a midfielder on that side and overload like hell. But against Uruguay or Brazil?

Marsch deserves past the Copa America to get judged. Canada has strong talent and generally in the right places -- though the Crepeau masterclass of World Cup Qualifying was clearly not the norm -- but the dude just started his job and this is a friendly.

jagum and gomichigan24 repped this.
  12. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Canada ever decide they want to cut ties with Marsch, do they need permission from the 3 MLS teams that are paying his salary? Not suggesting they are anywhere close to that now, just curious since it’s an unusual situation.

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's contracted to the CSA. If he gets fired he doesn't get paid. I guess the MLS owners might have an issue about contributing to any settlement. I don't foresee him getting fired before the World Cup. Canada is ranked #49 which I think makes them the second lowest ranked team in the Copa.

Magikfute repped this.
  14. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is probably all in his contract.

Magikfute and Roger Allaway repped this.
  15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Looks like a tough week for concacaf...all around, no?

16. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reality bites.......

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the impact of pretty much four years, World Cup excepted, in isolation.

18. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    #6968 CANPRO, Jun 9, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2024
    Watching Canada France in currently in minute ‘40, tied 0-0.

France dictating things, as expected.

Some Canadian players are showing well, like Kone.

Other players like Buchanan and Davies are not playing well.

Needless to say, you need your top players to step up against top competition and for Canada during the last game and 1/2, that hasn’t happened.

The gulf in class between our opposition the last 2 games and any other team in Concacaf I’ve seen Canada play the last few years has been so, so wide.

When our federation has been incapable of arranging friendlies against top competition in the past, these games will provide a bit of a shock to our players which is what we need for Copa America.

majspike, jaykoz3 and gomichigan24 repped this.
  19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's not surprising that players who have had a long season in Europe take their foot off the gas in pre-tourney friendlies. See Robinson and McKennie yesterday.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Luis Diaz seemed engaged.

Colombia plays like we used to play: with a chip on their shoulder.

You can't teach that to a guy now. But you can encourage those that have it to use -- Christian, Tyler -- and set the standard for performance. And then you can hold people to it and people can make their choice.

I would really love to see practice today or the locker room after the game. Was it angry? Sullen? Or do some of the guys not really care?

A friendly is a friendly, for sure, but this isn't a veteran team of winners with nothing to prove.

21. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Final score:

Canada 0 France 0.

Canada played really well in the 2nd half and could have won. Liam Millar had a great effort ring off the bar.

Great result to build confidence for a program that never gets to play top teams outside of the World Cup.

I wonder if Kone caught the attention of any scouts that tuned in. Dude was up for the occasion.

22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Looks like we'll be fine in the long run. Looks like we've figured out a formation and the back 4

23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Rumors has Kone going to Italy

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC