What is the problem with Canada?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, maybe he's looking for a job. No better showcase than the World Cup.

2. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Copa America.

3. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Bombito's top speed would make him the fastest player in the Bundesliga. Should be in a Top-4 league in a couple of years. 6'3" with that kind of pace? Had he been raised in the US, the pull of gridiron would've been strong. That's an edge Canada has over us: in the US, speed monsters who aren't midgets will get hoovered up by gridiron.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  5. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Expansion in 2025

Frustrating but not unexpected. I am glad Noonan is taking a common sense approach instead of trying to over inflate the league and hope it doesn't burst.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 5, 2001
    It's amazing that Bombito never played on a Canada youth team. But every country has late bloomers.

7. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch!!

9. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And Lampard is out

HomietheClown repped this.
  12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmmm..... have a feeling most would expect the American candidate to be Jesse Marsch, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Bruce Arena threw his hat in the ring.

13. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. Can't imagine their salary budget is very high.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  14. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would guess Marsch, Hugo Perez, or Arena is the American candidate.

Whoever they hire is going to need to go into it knowing 1)they can’t pay the coach a ton, and 2) the financial limitations what impact the ability to hold camps (like last year during Nations League where they couldn’t spend as much time training together as the other teams because they couldn’t afford to).

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #6815 Clint Eastwood, Apr 22, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    Bruce Arena is now 72.
    I don't know how much more he wants to do.

....................and he doesn't seem like the type to put up with the malarkey he'd have to deal with in Canada.

We could make a list of current American assistants and unemployed coaches that might throw their hat in the ring for a job like that.

I don't know................Mike Sorber. He's the kind of guy that might sign up for a low (or lowish salary) and challenges at the federation level.

Robin Fraser. Richie Williams.

That kind of guy. Hugo Perez isn't a bad guess.

I just can't see Bruce or Jesse in that job at the moment. And I don't know if Arena's firing (or rather they let him resign before they fired him) in New England for "inappropriate and insensitive remarks" has damaged his ability to get this kind of job. Partly because there's a lot of uncertainty with it. I don't think we actually know what happened, but he left New England in a mess. You can see a bureaucracy like the CSA just not wanting to deal with that. Not to mention fans. Fans would want to know what the deal was in New England. What did he actually that forced his resignation. Nobody is talking.

16. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Marsch holding out this long for Canada would surprise me. Would make Canada vs. the U.S. more interesting in the short term, though.

17. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena did try and get in on some MLS jobs this off-season. I do think he doesn’t want whatever happened in New England to be his final act. And 72 is not too old for an international manager. Not saying he’s the one but it’s not inconceivable.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  18. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think he is the one as I think he’s holding out either for a suitable job in Europe or the USMNT job if we crash and burn at Copa America.

I will not however he was once interested in the job earlier in his career and sent Canada Soccer a derailed analysis on how he would turn the program around (that they never responded to). https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/taking-red-bulls-job-jesse-marsch-wanted-be-canadas-coach

19. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other name Canada should consider is Thomas Christiansen as he’s done a fairly good job with Panama. And they’ll probably be able to at least match whatever Panama is paying him.

20. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I have no idea what Jesse is doing or what he wants.

He talks a lot.

We can probably find a comment from him saying he's "open to coaching" just about anywhere.

What I do know is Canada has a very challenging schedule the rest of the year.
    And who is steering this ship? Their next three games are against the #1, #2, and #7 national teams in the world. On the surface its an attractive challenge for a guy like Jesse. On the other hand, a coach might feel its an unwinnable challenge if support/money really isn't there from the federation.
    upload_2024-4-23_11-28-16.png

22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows whether he’d be interested in Canada or not but I doubt he wants an MLS for instance. As he almost certainly would have interest if he did.

23. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unclear if either would take it but seems like Marsch and Solskjaer have at least been approached.

And Mourinho unsurprisingly rejected an interview.

24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    According to Brtitish media Standard Sport, ex-Molde, Cardiff and Manchester United coach Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was contacted by the CSA.

On top of Lampard, Mourinho declined as well.

Yes, the CSA funding isn't great but ot was confirmed a while ago that money wouldn't stop them from getting the coach they fell is right for the job.

They'll cheap out somewhere else but not on selecting the coach to lead the team for 2026

25. Ghost

Ghost BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 5, 2001
    They need to find one of those executive search agencies that will conduct an exhaustive worldwide search and then tell them that the best candidate is the brother of the boss.

Don't they know how to b a professional organization up north?