What is the problem with Canada?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Despite all that.........................they went ON THE ROAD and beat Jamaica in the last Nations League window.

Something the US didn't do in WCQing.

These Canadian players and staff know each other.

If they were playing Panama in this Copa America playoff, I'd be very worried.
    They're not. They're playing a poor T&T team on a neutral field.

They were. Canada dropped 2 spots to #50.

Still the 4th ranked CONCACAF team. Mostly because Costa Rica dropped as well (after getting torched by Panama in the Nations League).

I don't know if there are consequences to dropping out of the top 50 for Canada.

2. DrunkOffPunch

DrunkOffPunch Member

United States
    Jul 14, 2020
    Neither did Canada. They also lost at home to Jamaica up 2 aggregate goals with 30 minutes left, which is why they’re in the current situation.

Three and Three repped this.
  3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    They won on the road. Lost at home.
    4-4 on aggregate. Lost on away goals.

To a team...................much better than this T&T team.

Canada losing to Jamaica isn't some colossal upset. In the ELO rankings, Canada is the 4th rated CONCACAF team. Jamaica is the 5th.

T&T is the 11th rated team, behind Martinique......................

If you guys want to put money on T&T beating Canada, be my guest.

Canada has lost 3 games in regulation since the 2022 World Cup. Japan, US, Jamaica

There's no evidence whatsoever that they're going to lose to this T&T team.
    I don't see some sign of an impending collapse.

I realize there's a crisis off the field. There really hasn't been a crisis on the field.

Oddly, Canada and T&T have only played once since 2000.
    US and T&T have played 18 times since 2000!!

4. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    I expect them to beat T&T, but those are some selective stats you used. They drew against Guadalupe and Guatemala at the gold cup, which were very poor results, even though they were missing some stars. And although I didn’t watch the Japan game, the stats indicate that they got hammered.

with Herdman leaving and all of the turmoil in their program, the recipe is there for an upset. Although the situations are very different, there are some similarities with us in couva in 2017 with how there are plenty of warning signs that many are ignoring.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  5. DrunkOffPunch

DrunkOffPunch Member

United States
    Jul 14, 2020
    Just so we’re clear, I think Canada will win. I just don’t like the argument. Bringing up something we didn’t do in WCQ isn’t a good point if Canada didn’t do it either. Jamaica also has a poorly run FA.

6. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    We had 2 players move to top 5 leagues this winter (Buchanan to Serie A and Corbeanu to La Liga) and yet our program provides little reason for optimism these days.

We're broke as a joke, anyone with a brain has been jumping ship from the CSA lately, our media deal (with all of its warts) seems to have collapsed, we have an interim manager who doesn't inspire much confidence, any notion of a pipeline of young talent can be dispelled in the last year and our players still hate the CSA.

I haven't felt this pessimistic since the days before Alphonso Davies and Jonathan Davies where we had 9 players on the field every game that were incapable of any offensive movement.

We've also been holding exactly 0 youth camps (still broke) and have been missing any and all opportunities to get young dual nationals into our program.

Canadian MLS teams are still pathetic at developing Canadians. Ali Ahmed is the only young player who has really excited in the last year. TFC continues to do absolutely nothing with all the fabulous young talent in the Toronto region, which probably has more talent than all the young talent in the rest of the country combined.

At least the CPL hasn't collapsed. That's nice.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Canada need a sugar daddy. The Canadian MLS teams have 24 Canadian players on their rosters. That's good considering the level of the Canada team.

8. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Canada has some amazing on the field talent but how far can that take them and last? Ugh
    For as populous and wealthy a country Canada is there is no excuse for how jacked up the CSA is.
    If the US wants to push into the top 8 we need Mexico and Canada to get better and push us. A dysfunctional Canada hurts us.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Maybe Costa Rica will have a resurgence

10. DrunkOffPunch

DrunkOffPunch Member

United States
    Jul 14, 2020
    What’s your opinion on those transfers? I guess if I was Canadian, I’d want Buchanan playing above all else. Inter could be a step too high too early. With Corbeanu, Grenada are likely to get relegated, so he has a high chance of getting tons of minutes next season.

11. psnotyours

psnotyours Member

Bvb
    United States
    Mar 8, 2023
    Canada only has 2 amazing players. CPL is 15-20 years away from MLS in youth development from what the MLS is doing now. No one in the U15-U23s is going to become the next Davis or David. Be realistic.

12. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
  13. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three and Three, majspike and PJ234 repped this.
  14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #6714 Robert Borden, Feb 21, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
    Lol,they will lose this lawsuit... hard

15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You clearly have no idea what's going on up north, but your entitled to your opinion

16. psnotyours

psnotyours Member

Bvb
    United States
    Mar 8, 2023
    Tell me what's going on?

17. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canadian MLS academy have been crap at producing players. Most of the CANMNT aren't from MLS academies

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's like I keep saying. The players are getting terrible/horrible/awful advices. It's embarrassing

19. DrunkOffPunch

DrunkOffPunch Member

United States
    Jul 14, 2020
    American MLS teams utilizing Canadians better than the Canadian teams.

20. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Nashville and Columbus have both signed CPL players.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Most of the US players aren't from MLS academies. That's the way things work in an environment, in which MLS clubs are not geographically ubiquitous.

22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their current core group is decently young that they should be around awhile still. The longer term question is what do they have coming up behind them. But feels like more of a problem for the 2034 cycle in terms of the core group.

23. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not an expert on Canadian law but in the US the bar is fairly high in terms of being able to come after board members personally.

24. psnotyours

psnotyours Member

Bvb
    United States
    Mar 8, 2023
    That's kind of true with this generation of players.
    Most of the next generation of players would have started in MLS academies and left very young or at 18.

25. psnotyours

psnotyours Member

Bvb
    United States
    Mar 8, 2023
    Canada's issue is their depth.
    Having three MLS academic teams is not enough to develop players.