What is the problem with Canada?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Jun 11, 2016.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feels like none of this is going to help with filling the coaching job anytime soon.

2. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Sometimes when there's a cluster, you can tell whose fault it is from the track record of the two organizations. This time, though, who knows?

Mediapro is incompetent, so it could be on them. CSB definitely could be lying to try and get out of a contract that they are taking heat for. It's also on CSB for signing with a known disaster of an organization.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #6678 Robert Borden, Jan 26, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
    Context is important so I'll add on your message and explain why I disagree

CSB signed with MediaPro who had a contract with Ligue 1 and that was prior to the debacle with the French league. With that in "context" - it was a no brainer for CSB to take MediaPro's offer "at the time" (cash + production + distribution) - no other Canadian broadcasters came remotely close to what was on the table for a league that never kicked a ball in a hockey country where there's already 3 MLS clubs.

CSB is using the exact same argument than the French league - non-payment according to the contract. Just like Ligue 1, I could see MediaPro trying to renegotiate the terms and withholding payments.

Onesoccer were still putting out content the day before CSB's announcement - it's obvious that it was CSB who pulled the plug and MediaPro was caught off-guard and came out with a weak statement at best.

For CSB to pull the plug now implies that they've been working on alternatives for some time and are confident in replacing MediaPro to pull the trigger now. It's a given the CSA was aware since CSB holds the rights to the domestic cup and all national team's games as well.

Lastly, the Mexican ownership that just bought York United for an undisclosed record fee must have been aware that this was coming and that an alternative was in place otherwise, if CSB are the liars you think they are - we should expect that ownership to withdraw from the deal and/or start legal actions against CSB

Overall, I think something else is coming and Onesoccer was limiting the exposure of the league in Canada. Bell and Rogers wanted nothing to do with MediaPro as their core business model is acquiring right and reselling games/packages to others. Unfortunately, it was the league itself paying the price by being caught in the middle of that feud by being denied coverage, highlights on big channels and even the game scores. With a new deal, they'll have access to a much larger audience and be able to grow even more.

A proof of that was the Sinclair retirement game. While Rogers and Bell wouldn't deal with MediaPro, CSB bought back the rights to that game and made a deal with TSN to broadcast it. It shows that their issues isn't necessarily with the league but the entity holding their rights. Now they are free to make deals with CBC that gave them ratings comparable to the MLS clubs in Canada and the major sports channels in Quebec (French) such as TVA Sports (who lost all their MLS content due to the Apple deal) and RDS (limited MLS content that won't even be only Montreal due to the Apple deal) + Sportsnet (Rogers), TSN(Bell) and local channels.

Exposure was the league biggest issue - they just made a power move to address it, good!

4. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Mediapro has a history of issues, first of all. I also imagine the CSB was much like Ligue 1s -- it was destined to fail because it was too good to be true.

I think you're right the Mediapro way outbid everyone else, but that should be a tip off. The French got greedy and went with an organization with a poor track record, uncertain funding, and a plan that required a massive number of pay subscribers in year one and then acted insane when they did 1/10th the required amount.

So CSB aren't the only ones who have made that mistake, but it was still a mistake. Greed over common sense.

Whenever we negotiate at work, we work up a bidder's P&L -- to understand both how much they can pay / how low they can go but also to ensure the viability of a deal for both sides. It's pretty clear no one at CSB had any idea about how media works or what it was reasonable.

Because Mediapro is a disaster, CSB will get out of this and sign with someone else and it won't be a big deal, but if there's only one bidder who bids like 10 everyone else, you should know you aren't likely getting what you think.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Considering the amount of money and production value injected in the league in the first 5 years (~$60M) with a risky partner, granted, but at the time had a deal with a top 5 league that was working until it went sideways during the pandemic was worth the risk for the league.

CPL would have been a very very different league had they went with the other offers in term of production look and quality. The initial influx of funds got it starting at a level exceeding most people's expectations and they get to walk away now and find a better partner offering access to a wider audience.

While the situation with Ligue 1 is different, yeah - greed over common sense, CPL initial ambitions made the MediaPro worth taking a risk for as a start up league. Taking this deal was flat out common sense.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust in SUM.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So is there anyone to replace Larin yet?

8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how much money do we all think that the Canada Soccer and CPL media rights will fetch from the local Canadian Broadcasters?

9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2024-1-27_1-11-35.png

RossD, jaykoz3, ChrisSSBB and 1 other person repped this.
  10. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    None. That’s the problem.

gomichigan24, jaykoz3 and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #6686 Robert Borden, Jan 27, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
    I think they might end up on another streaming platform with games on local broadcasters channels.

If they keep everything bundled, they will get paid but no clue how much, most likely less than MediaPro. They will also need a new service provider to produce the games.

12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woop! He took a swipe on the way out.

"Sadly, and for a multitude of reasons, it became apparent that football doesn't come first at Canada Soccer these days."

jaykoz3 repped this.
  14. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Dino Rossi is probably the most respected figure in Canadian soccer who has done more for the game than anyone. He’s also a great person and always positive and professional. He’s the sort of guy you would beg to be in charge to fix things.

For him to resign AND throw shade at the CSA on the way out is incredible.

There’s no reason for any optimism these days.

jaykoz3, gomichigan24 and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Would not surprise me if T&T eliminated Canada.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't know.
    The US played down a man most of the game in T&T...................and they still needed a Turner error to beat us. [The US totally dominated the game at home, and should have won by more.]

T&T have some building blocks, but the talent level is still apples and oranges.
    All of the behind-the-scenes issues will take a backseat. The players will want to go to Copa America, and I expect them to get the job done.

Their head coach isn't some schlub off the street. Biello knows Canada inside and out, and I expect the players to play for him.
    When the US program goes thru its problems, and we don't even have a head coach..............the players still go out there and do their best. We won the Nations League with an interim manager.

jaykoz3 and Three and Three repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It depends.

They did a good job against us for the most part trying to keep the shoreline down in the first leg. If they can do that for 90 minutes and play for penalties I would not be shocked to see T&T go through.
    The longer it is 0-0 the more pressure will be on Canada.
    The Honduran Neutrals coming into the stadium by the second half will probably be rooting for the underdogs.

I am not saying T&T are going to win. Just that they can advance and I would not be surprised.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    On a neutral field, I'm picking Canada for an easy win. I'm talking at least 3-0 win.
    If it was at T&T, then I might feel differently. Then CONCACAFery can be taken to a certain level.
    But in the pristine conditions of Toyota Stadium in March? Nah.

Anything can happen in one game, though.

T&T really "failed upward" in the Nations League for two years now.
    Its shocking that they have this opportunity in a one-off game to go to Copa America.

They weren't even supposed to be in this version of the Nations League. They took Nicaragua's place after Nicaragua was disqualified. Failed to beat Nicaragua home or away in 2022/2023. Not 10 years ago. Failed to beat Nicaragua AT home in 2023.

They conceded 5 goals to Curacao in the Nations League in 2023. And they're going to stop Jonathan David of Lille, Alphonso Davies of Bayern, Cyle Larin of Mallorca, and Taj Buchanon of Inter Milan?????

RossD repped this.
  19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That first match vs T&T was making us sweat until we scored three late goals.

The way Canada's morale is and the state of their whole Federation top to bottom is pretty bad.

That is why I am thinking it can happen.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug. I think the poor state of "Canada's morale" is hearsay.

Biello and the troops will get this done.

They just played a much tougher team in Jamaica. People act like they lost that series 6-0.
    They won the road leg 2-1, lost their home leg 3-2. So it was 4-4 on aggregate. Went home on away goals.
    That's not a sign of an impending loss to an inferior T&T team.

Canada did beat Panama this year in the Nations League. Ya know?

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You are exaggerating.

There is no one who thinks it is an impending loss.
    Just that if T&T can play a full 90 minutes like they played against us as the Central American fans come into the stadium ...
    ...watch out. It can happen.

Not saying it will happen just that it can happen .

22. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A more pertinent question would be: How much training time will Canada have BEFORE their game against T&T? Remember Canada couldn't afford to hold a September Camp or schedule friendlies during that window. They also couldn't afford to bring the team in a few days earlier to prep for the Nations League in June (like the US did). Where are they going to train before this match, and for how many days leading into it?

gomichigan24 and HomietheClown repped this.
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Oh no need to worry about things like that apparently.

Biello and the troops will get this done even if they don't practice together and the Federation goes bankrupt.
    (See I can exaggerate too.)

24. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was one of the reasons Herdman walked away from the job......

gomichigan24 and RossD repped this.
  25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The FIFA rankings were meant to be updated today.