What is the problem with Canada?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Jun 11, 2016.

1. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    We held a u17 boys national team camp this week.

I never thought I’d see the day we could afford to do that again.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That's great news. I'm looking forward to the CONCACAF U17 Championships in February.
    The US and the Canada are set up to match up again!!! Its seems we've been meeting a lot at youth events recently. Three of four teams advance from the group stage..............so that group result kinda doesn't matter. All it'll take to advance is beating Barbados.

The US has had ups and downs in youth cycles (Missing out on U17 and U20 WCs. The U23 level was an utter failure cycle after cycle), and the US has had ups and downs with the senior team too. Its meant to be a rollercoaster.

Just gotta keep investing and plugging away at the youth levels and development. Keep building and building and building depth. You can never have enough depth. [Its like............you can never have enough pitching in baseball.] We see that with France. They have an insane squad of players that missed the WC due to injury. Now they have a bunch of players ill in their WC camp. They keep plugging in new guys and advancing. Argentina completely turned over their squad after their first game. Plugged in the new guys, and found plan B.

That's really the difference between those nations and the North American nations. The quality depth. Not just depth. Quality depth. France loses Pogba, Kante, and other midfielders? Ho hum. They just start 20 year old Tchouameni of Real Madrid. Ho hum. Last game I don't think they used 20 year old Camavinga, also of Real Madrid.

The gap is so wide between what they're doing and what we're doing. Its why I say that getting to this 2nd tier has been hard for Canada, but the journey to breaking the top 10 is even harder. It could take 50 years. Cuz, you need ANOTHER Alphonso Davies and ANOTHER Jonathan David and ANOTHER Eustaquio to break thru to them. And maybe one isn't enough. And maybe they're not even good enough. Cuz Jonathan David ain't Kylian Mbappe. And you can't have holes. They will be ruthlessly exposed by the likes of Croatia. Croatia looked offensively beyond anemic in this tournament, except against Canada. They scored 4 goals against Canada. In their other 4 games they scored a total of 2 goals.............

I still can't get over Herdman's tactics in that Croatia game. it should haunt CSA leadership. That was a masterclass in getting it wrong.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #5878 Clint Eastwood, Dec 20, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    Unfortunately, Canada went the opposite way in the FIFA rankings. Not that it matters, but Canada and Qatar were the biggest rankings losers. Canada supposedly dropped 12 spots to #53.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well at least for this cycle it won’t matter a ton as they’ll get seeded in Pot A for the next World Cup. Basically they have 8 years to work on their FIFA ranking.

Sufjan Guzan repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #5880 Clint Eastwood, Dec 20, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    They should safely be tucked in as the 4th CONCACAF team after the US, Mexico, and CR.

Barring a disaster in the Nations League this spring, that should put them into a seeded position for the 2023 Gold Cup (which is the top 4 teams).

Canada have only won 3 of their last 10 games. And two of those were against Curacao and Qatar. Qatar being the other big faller after the World Cup in the rankings. So they haven't exactly been racking up points. If we care about that sort of thing.

Canadians know these types of things matter. Your chances of being put into a wicked "group of death" for the Gold Cup increases if you're not the seeded.

The 2026 WC seeds will be determined 3.5 years from now. So long way to go before we worry about that.

Just on a positive note, they were #94 as calendar year 2018 started. So they've moved up 40 slots during that time. Overall.............a good story.

6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I don't know why. There's going to be somewhere between 12 and 16 groups instead of the usual 8. The extra #1 seeds means there'll be less room for complaint.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  7. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most relevant impact of their ranking in the short term is that it makes English work permits much harder to get for their MLS based players.

If you're in the top 50 and play 70 percent of more of your team's games you automatically get a work permit. And you need 60 percent for top 30, 40 percent for top 20, and 30 percent for top 10.

When you're outside of the top 50 you're basically in Andre Blake territory where is very very difficult to qualify coming from MLS or a lesser European league (anything below the top 5, Portugal, the Netherlands, Turkey, Belgium, and Scotland).

Chesco United and Zinkoff repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'm not sure we'd have survived Canada's group TBH.

Three and Three repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We'll never know. :)

Going into the event, one thought the groups were pretty similar. By the way, Wales and Belgium were drawn together in the Nations League. 1-1 in Cardiff, 2-1 in Brussels. Very tight, just like the Belgians game with Canada. I think people forget that the Welsh have had some good results since the reopening from COVID. Heck, they beat Mexico in 2021.

Iran was the highest ranked Asian team at the event. Not Japan or South Korea. Good win for the USMNT. Morocco was the 2nd highest-ranked African team after the Mane-less Senegal. People act like Morocco playing well was a surprise. Prior to the World Cup, they'd lost 2 of their last 37 matches! And one was in extra time (Egypt in the AFCON QF).

The only nation to beat Morocco outright since the start of 2020 (since the reopening from COVID) had been the USMNT. 3-0 blowout this past June. A total outlier.

[I get that we weren't expecting Morocco to beat Spain, Portugal, and Belgium. The #2, #7, and #9 ranked teams in the world. :) :) I think people were underestimating them, though.]

Belgium #2
    Croatia #12
    Morocco #22
    Canada #41

England #5
    USMNT #16
    Wales #19
    Iran #20

Marko72 repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Morocco we beat was missing Ziyech, Mazraoui, Boufal, and several other starters, though. We were missing Dest and McKennie could only play about 20 minutes.

11. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    This offseason in the CPL has reinforced that the soccer pyramid in Canada is working (of course, with obvious room for expansion/improvement)

Players have moved on to Europe: Marco Bustos - Sweden top division, Dominc Zator - Poland top division, Julian Roloff to the German top division, Ronan Kratt moved to Werder Bremen

Players are training/trailing with European clubs: 3 Vancouver players with a club in the English Championship, Kwasi Poku is with Swedish champion BK Hacken, Ollie Bassett and Nathan Ingham are at Ateltico San Luis in Mexico, Rayane Yesli is with AC Ajaccio of Ligue 1 in France.

Daniel Krutzen is on trial with the Whitecaps.

Lots of quality young players from League1 Ontario have transferred to CPL clubs.

This week an u17 national team prospect from a League1 Ontario club reserve side joined 2 Bundesliga side Kalsruher.

Talented League1 Ontario coach Patrice Ghesier was recently named head coach of Hfx Wanderers. It's important that our coaches get these opportunities to advance in the game, as well as players.

League1 BC was established last year, joining League1 Ontario and Quebec. News has just come out that League1 Alberta looks promising to begin in 2024.

It seems likely that a team from Kelowna BC will join in 2024. It's vital a club from Quebec join the league soon. That would make 10 teams.

This all may seem unremarkable for people from other countries with established professional soccer infrastructure. However, in Canada, this pyramid didn't exist 5 years ago. I couldn't have fathomed any of this when Canada was in the soccer wilderness for all of those years.

Chesco United and jaykoz3 repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That's a signing to try to help avoid relegation. Valladolid is in terrible form. They've only scored 13 goals all season, so they need him. Hopefully he has a relegation release clause.

15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I should have clarified that he's being loaned by Club Brugge with an option to buy. He could end up staying with the club in La Liga if he delivers or would go back to Belgium

16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also a move in search of playing time as he's only started 2 of 20 total games for Brugge this year.

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    And why is that exactly?

18. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That I don’t know the answer to. I thought Brugge was a good move for him.

19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  21. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we need to add Mexico to the thread title?

[​IMG]

22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not be surprised if Mexico slips to clearly the 3rd best team in CONCACAF next cycle. They have an old team and it’s not clear the next generation is ready to replace them.

23. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like not a done deal yet

1620644620161155073 is not a valid tweet id

24. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010