What is the problem with Canada?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I keep seeing that we have "no depth". Our depth made both the US and Mexico sweat at the Gold Cup, our depth played a huge role in the qualifiers when we were missing the likes of Davies (half the time) and Eustaquio.

Not knowing the depth doesn't mean it doesn't exist. We keep seeing guys "coming out of nowhere" - it's more that they aren't well known.

This cycle opened eyes on Canada in general, the anonymity of the depth is about to change.

2. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of it could also be that a lot of USMNT fans, and fans of the game in general don't consider MLS a good league. Some of Canada's depth plays in MLS....therefore....must not be good. It doesn't help that the Canadian MLS teams aren't shown much or at all in the States.

gomichigan24 and Robert Borden repped this.
  3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Also having a Canadian passport has been a huge handicap until Davies. You could be good enough to play at a higher level but the Maple Leaf made them think that the player couldn't play.

Barcelona scout wanted to have Davies signed and the owner said no because he was Canadian.

This will also change starting next cycle

LouisianaViking07/09 and jaykoz3 repped this.
  4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minor quibble....Barcelona doesn't have an owner. Your point stands though.

Davies signed with a better organization in Bayern in the end though.

Robert Borden repped this.
  5. Amaru523

Amaru523 Member

Jun 22, 2016
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said Canada had "no depth", I just said their depth and overall talent wasn't as good as Mexico or the U.S. Canada is easily in the top 3 in the region and will continue to give the U.S. and Mexico fits.

I've been extremely impressed with what Canada have done so far, but they took a lot of people by surprise, no one will underestimate them again.

HomietheClown repped this.
  6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The lights were just too bright on this stage for Canada.

In 2026 this team will be a team no one will want to face though. Round of 16 is my prediction with a chance to go further..

7. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lied.

8. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada should have gotten a Result bs Belgium
    But today showed their lack of class compared to the best teams. I expected Belgium and Croatia to play like old teams but Croatia are just tactically superior in the short passing game, build up etc. it’s no contest.

Canada have some great pieces but really need to upgrade their midfield. You can’t look at the concacaf games always as the marker of a great team.

Burr and Amaru523 repped this.
  9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok dude, lol.

10. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Zero points through two matches is whats wrong.

11. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are aware that Davies had an even harder path to where he is than Landon Donovan had? Davies path started long, long before the CPL was even conceived, let alone started. Davies grew up with almost the same pay to play club scenario that many American players still face today.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Actually he was in a free to play program in Edmonton

13. Bach1685fan

Bach1685fan Red Card

United States
    Nov 26, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the kind of program that doesn't exist in the US as I said that Canada has a less serious pay-to-play problem compared to the US.

14. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS academies are free to play.......

15. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, however, he didn't have a clear pathway to Pro Soccer at that free to play club at that time. Canadian soccer was fractured, and did not have its' own Professional League when he was coming up.

Larin, Buchanan, and Miller all played College Soccer in the US before going Pro.

16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the US has this problem too, but I think a lot of it is not having the depth in terms of guys you can feel comfortable bringing on in a World Cup game against an England. The depth is good for CONCACAF, not as much at the World Cup against elite teams.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  17. Bach1685fan

Bach1685fan Red Card

United States
    Nov 26, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except Davies didn't learn to play at an MLS academy. Edmonton's Free Footie program doesn't have a counterpart in the US. Also MLS academies are limited and unable to cover most of potential soccer players in the US or Canada entirely. So what should talented kids from poor families that live hundreds of miles from an MLS academy do if they can't afford to move or travel?

18. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5668 jaykoz3, Nov 27, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    :rolleyes::whistling:

Are you sure about that? You might want to actually use Google once and a while.......

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/vancouver-whitecaps-sign-15-year-old-alphonso-davies-mls-deal#:~:text=The Vancouver Whitecaps are going,to sign an MLS deal.

Details can be soooo pesky sometimes.......

Davies played for Vancouver's Academy beginning in August 2015, and then signed an MLS Homegrown Player deal at the age of 15 in July 2016....

About that "Free Footie Program"....it's not just for soccer......it's an afterschool sports program...
    https://freeplayforkids.com/

It's also a non-profit that relies on fund raising in order to...fund the programs....

Oh, hey look here's a similar program in Philadelphia, PA....

https://phillypal.org/programs/

And in New York City...

https://www.nycgovparks.org/programs/recreation/youth-sports

19. Bach1685fan

Bach1685fan Red Card

United States
    Nov 26, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Davies went to the Whitecaps as a teen after several years playing in Edmonton's Free Footie. He didn't learn ABC's at an MLS academy and he wasn't a novice anymore. So if it weren't for Free Footie where else would the Whitecaps have discovered Davies?

20. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's an idea....do some research, then come back with some intelligence to add to the discussion.

To insinuate that Davies learned nothing during his time with Vancouver and their Academy is very naive. Yes, Davies learned to play Soccer while growing up in Edmonton. He leveled up his game playing against better & older competition during his time with Vancouver. Just like how he leveled up even further after moving to Bayern.

21. Douglas Campbell

BVB
    United States
    Mar 2, 2018
    Canada disappointed me. The "Eff em" comment likely hurt them. They had a super brutal opening schedule w/ Belgium & Croatia. They were pretty solid against Belgium, but the floodgates opened vs. Croatia.

TOAzer and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I follow his line of argument JD played in a free soccer program in Edmonton which the US doesn't have anything like, but they do because it is an MLS academy and that doesnt matter because JD didn't play in an MLS academy, but he did play in an MLS Academy and that doesn't matter because he wouldn't have played there if he hadn't played in a free program in Edmonton. And he didn't learn anything at the MLS Academy.

Its alphabet soup at this point.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  23. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I wish Herdman didn't make that comment about Croatia. That's not what Canadians are about, generally.

Aside from that, we're about where I thought we would be in this World Cup. Croatia is a great team, no shame in losing to them. Their midfield movement was exceptional today.

We've tried to come out and play during this world cup. Some players have shown their individual qualities. Those are positives.

We have one more game to show people what we can do on the world stage. I've waited for this my whole life. I'm going to enjoy it.

24. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    A draw or win against Morocco plus the win against Japan, along with the strong play against Belgium, would make a successful Qatar trip.

Robert Borden repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    What's wrong is that Canada was drawn with the #2 and #7 ranked teams in the world in their first two games.

Whole 'nother level from what they experience in CONCACAF. Turns out Luka Modric and those guys are pretty good.

They've acquitted themselves well, particularly against Belgium, but there aren't moral victories at this level. A result against Morocco, and the tournament can be looked at with satisfaction. Even without that, the cycle overall was a smashing success. A lot to build on.