What is the problem with Canada?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico Nations League final
    Screenshot_20210731-141555_Google.jpg

Mexico vs Canada
    Screenshot_20210731-141524_Google.jpg

That's a pretty strong lineup.

Robert Borden repped this.
  2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That El Slavadorean eligible guy Gil has been called into Colombian camp for Youth teams but if he gets a call for the senior team I could see him committing to them.

& Just like Canada though Honduras had some injured players during the
    tournament but that is a pretty good list otherwise.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Sure.

Not their strongest though.

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9 of their 23 man Gold Cup roster started the NL final.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    There are players who did not play in the NL Final or got very little playing time that will have more impact in the Ocho.

*Edit, Not having the Keeper is also very important part of a team's make up.

6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    This is a weird post. You accuse someone else of making excuses, but then make excuses?

Look, I don’t get people’s needs to talk trash, but this is just strange.

gomichigan24 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    ...............also for Mexico, it seems like Raul Jimenez is back. He's been playing for Wolves in preseason. Scored yesterday.

As we've learned this summer, he's incredibly important for them. They naturalized an Argentine the wrong side of 30, and started him right away..............in his absence.

But anyway, all of this discussion comes down to one thing as we enter the Ocho. Depth. There will always be players injured, suspended, not match-fit, or unavailable for one reason or another. The "best" national team programs don't need to make excuses that players A, B, and C aren't available. Unless its Lionel Messi or Ronaldo that aren't available, there should be a community of options to fill holes for missing guys. The quality of those players is going to say a lot about which teams qualify for this world cup from CONCACAF. The nature of this beast with 3 games in short windows means depth will be tested like never before.

Canada's depth to me looks pretty good compared to Honduras, Costa Rica, Jamaica, etc. Some of the players I was worried about for Canada, particularly in defense and central midfield, really stepped up at this Gold Cup. I'm not as worried about their depth as I was before. Like.....................it doesn't appear that they need to count on the vampire known as Atiba Hutchinson. If David or Davies aren't available, they can still play well. Well, other than the fact that they DIDN'T beat the US or Mexico without these players. Canada should be at the point where there's no such thing as moral victories.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm just showing that the US wasn't the only team missing guys. That's the nature of the game, all teams will be missing someone most of the time.

I just don't see a point at minimizing loses over that. The team should be more than the best starting XI

9. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Right, but we're not missing four or five guys.

The US brought only four guys from the Nations League roster on this roster, and none of the guys we brought are anywhere close to star level.

Now, perhaps these guys, who range from 2nd string to like 6th string ... aren't that far in quality from a second string. But to your point, in terms of real depth, we made very conscious choice to not bring pretty close to a full roster of talent to simply give them a rest.

It's simply worth acknowledging that while Gianluca Busio really, really struggled against Canada, and he didn't even have to play Eustaquio ... you won't be playing Busio next time.

CyphaPSU and USSoccerNova repped this.
  10. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002

11. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    This weekend there are Canadian team MLS games, CPL games and semi pro level summer series exhibition games in Western Canada, and of course League 1 and PLSQ games in Eastern Canada.

All of this is happening during a pandemic.

I lost hope a few years ago that we'd actually ever see a soccer pyramid in Canada. Now we have one and it has been able to withstand the biggest event to threaten professional sports this side of ww2.

No way did I ever think that would happen.

Does our pyramid need to be expanded to other parts of the country? Yes. Are we missing players? Yes. Is the CPL perfect? No. But we're getting there and we're not going back to the depressing state of things that we had to endure for the last 30 years.

12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And...
    A Canadian is vice-president of FIFA and president of CONCACAF ;)

13. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    Yes, we know. He's the reason you guys got a second shot at WCQ.

14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Blame covid for that

Roger Allaway repped this.
  15. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Did Canada win the Gold Cup? I hope so, I think they're the greatest.

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You might want to focus on WCQ, I'd hate to see a repeat of the last cycle...

17. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, it's true Canada didn't qualify last cycle, but I think they will be back better than ever and qualify with ease this time around. I do think Canada is probably the greatest football team out there today, after all.

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't know about that but if you're talking about the Women's Olympics tournament with our team defeating the USWNT for the gold medal game.... I hope we make you proud :)

Anto'nio and IndividualEleven repped this.
  19. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm always proud of Canada. Their many accomplishments in football continue to astound me to this day.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  20. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? How'd Canada fair in the last World Cu.....oh wait, that's right Canada didn't qualify either. They didn't even make it to the last round of qualification.

Yes, Covid had a hand in Montagliani changing the WCQ format. His main motivator was money for Concacaf, seeing as they lost out on money in 2020. A secondary motivation was giving his native Canada another shot at making the final round of qualifying.

The Octagonal is going to be brutal. Best of luck to Canada, even with their most talented roster ever, they're going to need it. Their margin for error is going to be very slim. It's not going to be a cakewalk for Mexico and the US either. They both will stub their toes and be Concacaf'd at least once.

I wouldn't underestimate Covid rearing its ugly head and throwing a monkey wrench into qualifying either. El Salvador playing their Home Qualifiers in the US is a big advantage for them. Canada could close its borders again too.....

An Unpaved Road repped this.
  21. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I like how for the U.S. men two recent trophies mean nothing and it's all about "you messed up four years ago!!!" But for the U.S. women it's all about the most recent history and not the huge success of several years ago.

Opps, why am I talking about the U.S.? Canada is my favorite team of all time.

22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Who said the last 2 trophies meant nothing? No need to get sensitive ;)

You're the one posting here sarcastically after winning the trophy...for whatever reason... it's not like I love the Mexican team more after the racist chants and posts towards Buchanan.

23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm of the opinion that if the US are that good, it shouldn't matter who's in the Ocho. The Mexicans and others aren't complaining except American fans for the most part.

If the US A team is that good, who cares? Just play us off the pitch :thumbsup:

24. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I was curious if we Canada fans should go with a “well done, U.S.” message or not, especially after showing such (deserved) pride in how we played in our semifinal loss to Mexico.

25. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Patience is a virtue! I'm on the road at the moment and I was planning to do so on my "weekend news" post later on. It's on its way ;)