What is the problem with Canada?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Jun 11, 2016.

1. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Too much according to Transfermarkt.

Meanwhile I've seen so many Chelsea fans online clamoring for an extension. :p

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    CB Manjrekar James & his club are Danish Champions and have qualified for Champions League qualifiers
    M Scott Arfield will play in the Europa League Quarterfinals with Rangers against Bayer Leverkusen

M Atiba Hutchinson played 80 minutes in a 3-2 win for besiktas reaching 4th overall for a Europa League qualification

bigredfutbol repped this.
  3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Champions League draw being completed, seems that once Bayern Munich eliminates Chelsea, Alphonso Davies will face the winner either Napoli or Barcelona.

Davies playing potentially against Leo Messi!

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Latest updates in Canadian football

Europe
    CB Manjrekar James played 90 for Champion-side Midjylland who are going to Champions League Playoffs

F Junior Hoilett played 73 minutes in a 2-0 loss to Fulham. Cardiff City are holding on to a Premier League promotion playoff berth by 1 point.

M Stephen Eustaquio played 90 in a 5-1 loss to Braga.

Asia
    CB Doneil Henry
    played 90 minutes in a 1-1 draw in South Korea

Canadian Premier League
    An announcement for the 2020 season will take place this week. Due to Canada closing it's borders, Internationals that haven't rejoined their clubs are unlikely to play in Canada for 2020.

IndividualEleven and jagum repped this.
  5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A goal, a yellow and 90 minutes for Junior Hoilett with a crucial win over Derby. Cardiff City holding on to the last playoff spot for Premier League promotion

6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #3306 Robert Borden, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Fantastic news!

Liam Millar has Bundesliga interest and a loan could happen this summer. Count this one as part of the golden age!
    • Interest from clubs in the Championship - "I think it’s probably the best second league in the world," according to Millar - and Bundesliga has already been registered with the Premier League champions and the player has been working hard during lockdown.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Latest updates in Canadian football

Europe
    CB Steven Vitoria played 90 and scored one goal for Moreirense in Portugal. Stephen Eustaquio was suspended due to yellow cards.

CB Ricardo Ferreira played 76 minutes in 1-1 draw against Braga in Portugal. Ferreira is eligible to switch to Canada.

LB Sam Adekugbe played 90 in a 1-0 win in Norway for Valerenga who are 3rd overall in a Europa League qualifier spot

Asia
    CB Doneil Henry
    played 90 minutes in a 1-0 win in the South Korea FA Cup

IndividualEleven and ShortyMac repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Are there any rumors about Ayo Akinola switching back to Canada? He's the breakout youngster in the "MLS is Back" tournament so far.

He would have been on the US' 2019 U20 World Cup team, but had to withdraw with injury.

If the U23 CONCACAF Championships actually take place, perhaps Akinola would be an option for that group (as players like Jonathan David would likely not be released for it). He'd be an option for the US as well I guess.

9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    From what I heard, he's 50-50 on which nation to join.

I'd say the US chances are better because he'd be more likely to see meaningful minutes. He seems better than Altidore (past his prime) and more promising than Zardes (older). He could push Sargent I think.

He would just add depth for Canada as there's easily 5 strikers ahead of him. He's unlikely to get picked ahead of David, Cavallini and Larin.

Liam Millar and Charles-Andres Brym would be next in line.

He'd challenge Akindele, Ricketts and Jackson-Hamel.

Some would argue that Theo Bair (20 years old) and Jaydon Nelson (only 17) might be as good or better than him. (Both already scored one goal for Canada)

Season 2020-2021 might see CPL 2 best strikers getting in the picture. 6'6 - 22 years old Easton Ongaro and 21 years old Terran "Hulk" Campbell. They were in the run for Golden boot.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug. Can't ignore actual performance, though. Akinola is getting the job done at an MLS level. Who will score more goals this season in MLS? Akinola or Cavallini? Interesting question..........................

There's no amount of depth that actually hurts a program. :)

US also has a bunch of prospects at the youth levels other than Akinola. Sargent (Bremen), Weah (Lille), Llanez (Wolfsburg), and others.

11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think he does have a high ceiling, just need a larger sample to have a better idea on him than 2 games in a tournament which looks more like preseason to me.

Cavallini has a proven track record of scoring both for the national team (11 goals in 17 games) and in Mexico in a much higher level league for an average club (29 goals in 75 games at Puebla).

Larin is closer to challenge Cavallini #2 spot with 7G and 10A in 29 games in Belgium which saw him develop into a playmaker.

I still think that Cavallini should score more goals than Akinola but we'll see.

It's true that the US have good prospects coming up but he's more likely to get a bigger role now than with us.

Interesting detail, he's a good friend of both David and Davies and he shares the same agent as one of them. I think not could go either way for Akinola.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's also eligible still for Nigeria I believe.................................

13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #3313 Robert Borden, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Another reason why I think TFC are trash. If true that would make Greg Vanney a liar because he condemned publicly the decision of Canada Soccer to not look at Akinola, while in fact, it looks like it was TFC that didn't include him on the list

On Akinola not being called up by Canada

14. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Oh, good lord, stop.

One, camps are commonly at the same time. So waaay back in 2015, yes, Akinola may have already committed.

Two, if the Canadian Federation never called him back, that's on Canada, not Vanney. Good lord, it's been FIVE years since he went to another camp.

Stop trying to make drama out of a fairly typical situation.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    With what I know and been told by people within Canada Soccer, it's quite unusual that TFC did not include his name on the list that Soccer Canada requested even after asking for justifications which was pre-reforms and the CSA was heavily reliant on those clubs evaluations.

An analyst said that perhaps the club felt that it would be in his own interest to push Akinola towards the US instead. While I can understand the rational at the time, that very unusual for a Canadian academy to make such a call. Vancouver and Montreal and others who have dual nationals would never make such a call.

The journalist sharing this today is highly credible and even the most cynical assumptions made towards TFC executives and coaching staff have been been validated off the record by people within Canadian Soccer.

As the same journalist said, this happened before he committed to the US youth team.

So the fact that the USSF never tried to get David all this time would be on them too?

As I said, this is a serious matter if what the journalist is saying is accurate. TFC making the call to run the club as the USMNT of the north is one thing, but not referring talents that have been developed in the Canadian system is a really bad look.

As of today, this is a non-issue. We are very deep upfront and Montagliani reforms eliminated the possibility of such thing happening. However, people have a right to disapprove what happened here, the same way that fans on both sides of the border call out questionable decisions from club executives.

16. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Yes, absolutely. Do your research and recruit.

Club teams are going to have their motivations. It's up to the Federation to work with them, but they shouldn't be completely outsourcing to them.

17. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #3317 Robert Borden, Jul 17, 2020
    Agreed, but the problem here is a professional club taking it upon themselves to decide where a dual national should go and omit to include the name when the national body inquires about the player.

That's a huge accusation which was made by a credible journalist. Scouting or how good the player was is irrelevant. A club acting this way against the interest of the governing body who gave them the sanction to begin with is a terrible look deserving of criticism

18. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    If the Canadian Federation didn't know Akinola was eligible at any point over the last five years, that's all on them.

It's not a huge accusation. The story told is normal -- the Fed inquired, the club said that he was going to a US camp.

This is an attempt to make it a big thing. If some moron in Canada wrote off Akinola forever because of it, that's on them.

19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #3319 Robert Borden, Jul 17, 2020
    It really isn't this simple, as the journalist is reporting, Akinola was encouraged to go to the US team and he asks, "if true", why wouldn't he be encouraged to attend Canada's camp as well? How do you know that the CSA didn't try to change his mind but they couldn't? That's not even the point here, it's TFC encouraging talents to play elsewhere but here. Vancouver and Montreal (which I know very well) would never do this, not in a million year.

I also doubt that a US clubs would push a talented player to go elsewhere before the US. US fans would be outrage, with good reasons and you know it.

For me, it's the principle and it's more bad stuff being said about TFC within Canadian soccer. The same TFC telling Millar that he was too short to make or saying that there was nothing special about Kaye or purposely ignoring talents outside of their academies for years (I have more examples of TFC where that came from)*

*The thread title is about Canada's problems, fyi, so I'm on topic

As for Akinola, I truly hope he chooses what's best for him and I even said that he's more likely to have playing time with the US than Canada. It's a 50-50

but...
    [​IMG]

20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Ummm, you're making a bunch of stuff up that the journalist didn't say,

TFC didn't put Akinola on a list for a camp in 2015. When asked why, they said he was going to a US camp.

That's all he's said or apparently has.

Were the camps at the same time? Seems that way. You claim TFC was pushing him to the US, but there's little there in any actual evidence. They were asked for a camp, and they said a player was going to another camp.

For some reason, this one interaction is supposed to set up TFC as some monster for keeping Akinola away from Canada for FIVE years.

No one was stopping the Canadian Federation from calling Akinola and talking to him. There's no evidence of TFC pushing anyone anywhere.

All there is is for a U15 camp, TFC left him off a list.

And yes, USSF has absolutely let themselves be questionably pushed around by clubs -- LA, for example, has asked at times for the US not to pester Efrain Alvarez.

It annoys people, of course. But it's still on USSF to choose what to do with that. They can still call Alvarez.

This isn't even that. This is literally a list for a U15 camp. There's nothing even in the tweet that Toronto asked them not to talk to Akinola. Just that he was going somewhere else.

21. Duncan Edwards i miss u

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You need to go back to school to learn how to read.

22. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remind everyone again what the state of the CMNT program was 5 years ago?

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He goes by Jonathan David. :)

Davies has a very good shot at winning it, although I suspect Haaland will. Goal-scorers and attackers get these awards.

We've got a bunch of of other CONCACAF players on that list. Good times. Dest and Reyna for the US, for instance. Plus American born Nils Froling, who represents Sweden.

24. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    The pecking order at forward for Canada (minus Akinola) has seemed pretty clear:
    1. David
    2. Cavallini
    3. Larin
    4. Tesho
    5. Ricketts
    6-9. All the prospects

But getting a feel for what level of quality they're at is harder. Cavallini could be a 17 goal scorer in MLS, or he could be a 7. I just don't know yet. Interpreting upper-middle class production in Mexico is hard to do. So Akinola, in present form, might be way better than him or slightly behind.