What is the old-fashioned American "mainstream" press...

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by jackiesdad, Jun 21, 2010.

1. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    ... gonna talk about now?

1) The Stanley Cup playoffs ended a few weeks ago. Any Chicago/Philly talk has died down.

2) The NBA playoffs ended last week. It already seems like it was a month ago.

3) The US Open golf tournament ended yesterday. And it was won by somebody NOT named Phil or Tiger. In fact, it was won by a EUROPEAN! So they can't really talk about it too much.

4) MLB is pre-All Star game. So there's not even any pennant races heating up yet that can be analyzed ad nauseum.

This week is setting up to be a perfect storm for World Cup soccer reporting. Even the vuvuleza hating columns have all been written. We're going to see more USA World Cup reporting this week than ever, if we win on Wednesday. I can't WAIT!

2. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somewhere, someone named Jackie is embarrassed by this post.

3. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LMAO.
    -----------

They can talk about how my Braves are making the MLB look like child's play.

4. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'll probably take a vacation :) But seriously any of the old timers who have anything to do with ESPN like Kornheiser and Wilbon talk seriously about the World Cup.

If you are depending on printed newspapers for your Wold Cup info, I would say you are looking in the wrong place.

5. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

FWIW, both major New York tabloids had at least a US-Slovenia headline on both front and back covers.

6. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only because I'm a Flyers fan (fairweather, honestly) did I even glance at the Stanley Cup finals. After seeing the TV ratings for it, I cant Imagine anyone was talking about it while it was even happening.

The only reason the NBA finals was being discussed heavily was because it was Lakers vs Celtics.

For some crazy unknown reason, people actually watch golf. I don't get why, I don't know how it's possible but I guess that's their thing. Ironically, it's hard to say that since people say the same thing about soccer.

Baseball, is doing well as usual. But still, I think there is more to talk about with soccer now.

Frankly, I think a lot of people are starting to embrace the World Cup. On friday midday my entire news feed on facebook was about the game against Slovenia.

I think the World Cup is doing well already and yeah, it's going to get more and more coverage. It's probably better if the US stays in it as long as possible.

Yeah, people SAY they're rooting for (insert country they have no affiliation with), but I think their attention sways away when the US is eliminated.

Also, has anyone noticed that the opinion of soccer is vastly changing. I mean years ago, very few people acknowledged soccer and a lot of people who didn't watch it just decided to belittle the game. Now, you have a much bigger fan base, and while a lot of people still don't watch, the bashing has gone way down. People respect the skill level and talent level it takes, it just doesn't happen to be their thing. It's a huge transformation in my opinion and soccer is on the up-and-up.

7. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Despite your (unsuccessful) attempt at humor, this is a big deal. USSoccer can use all the publicity it can get. In other countries, kids grow up wanting to be the next Ronaldinho, Beckenbauer, or Cruyff. In the USA, they want to be the next Peyton Manning, LeBron James, or Roger Clemmons. If this year's World Cup makes just one six year old who would've been a future NBA, MLB or NFL MVP decide to pick up a soccer ball instead, then that increases the chance of us eventually winning the World Cup. I want these kids to want to be the next Landon Donovan or Jozy Altidore.

8. CravenCrew

CravenCrew New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wimbledon. Even I turned off the last game to watch Federer's 4th set

9. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he laughed, and I amused myself, so we've already determined it was a success, we're only arguing magnitude now.

Not any more they don't. The don't want to be those guys any more than an America kid wants to grow up being the next Nolan Ryan, Joe Namath or Larry Bird.

There won't be an "instead" in most cases until the salary incentive to pursue soccer is there. Which means, regardless of the current "talent" in MLS, people need to put asses in seats in those stadium and eyes on TV's. Oh and for the most part, the 6-14 year olds aren't going to "instead". They're all playing soccer, baseball, football, basketball year round.

Then park them in front of a TV in front of every MLS & Nat game and take them to your closest MLS team. ESPN Highlights and Visual/Print Media aren't going to make someone want to pursue any sports career

10. wanderingpress

Apr 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Coritiba FBC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hearing about it in the Tampa market.

Some of them start out with, "Now, I'm not gonna bash soccer; I just don't understand it. That said ... " Then they talk about the refs, vuvuzelas, diving, scores, etc.

They used to just spend any discussion bashing the game before moving on to Barry Bonds' hangnail; now at least they talk about it - they even do a little analysis (French/English teams, odds for US to advance, etc.).

The fact that they can say they have reviewed 'The Play' a thousand times and still can't see the foul says a lot.

I also notice that the sports guys get the interns on the air for most of their information, which means that we're blooding the youngstahs.

Right about now, it's just another sport. Good times.