What is the last concert you attended? (Pt. 4)

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by moreno9, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Buckethead is not amused.

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  2. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was in New York last week in New York for the Copa Centenario, and as well as catching the NYC FC v Red Bulls derby... had a little run in with The Police... well one of its former members at least - as well as a revelation from Genesis.. well, again a former member.... saw:

Peter Gabriel & Sting
    Rock, Paper, Scissors Tour
    Coney Island Amphitheater, July 3, 2016

Englishmen doing "An Englishman in New York" in New York:

Sting asking the world to save our soccer:

And some good music, but really, really cheesy dancing from PG (or is that dancing more PG-13):

Len repped this.
  3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah... and another one:

Guns n' Roses
    Not in this Lifetime Tour
    w/ Chris Stapleton
    Nissan Stadium, Nashville, TN - July 9, 2016

Was an awesome show... played for about 3 hours - Axl, Slash, Duff sounded great + Steven Adler even joined for a couple of songs...

Excape Goat and SpencerNY repped this.
  4. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    That is awesome. I heard Axl has gotten his voice back. He has always been scratchy and imperfect live, but the past few years he was sounding like Mickey Mouse.

I am almost feeling like I need to go see them when they come to the bay area.

Excape Goat and glennaldo_sf repped this.
  5. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't going to see them at coachella but stopped by and stayed. They were good.

6. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    #1206 crazypete13, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    The Tragically Hip
    Air Canada Centre
    August 14, 2016

A chance to say good-bye - a chance to relive some of the highlights of my misspent youth - but ultimately a chance to celebrate the life of possibly the greatest musical talent Canada has yet produced. You may not have heard of them, and if you did you may not understand the reasons why their music resonates so much in Canada. So I'm going to elaborate a bit on why.

My Hip story starts in high school, 17, pimple-faced and enamoured with heavy blues based rock and roll. 'Up To Here' - their first full length album was starting to get regular airplay, and a friend and I got tickets to see them play The Concert Hall - famous mostly for hosting Led Zeppelin's first T.O. gig 20 years earlier.

I loved that album (still do) and they played everything on it (save "Opiated"), plus the bulk of their eponymous EP - and a song that front man Gord Downie introduced as being about a love triangle in Algonquin park (better known as 'Three Pistols" released a year hence on "Road Apples") - and proceeded to sing the song about Tom Thomson (famous influence/contemporary of the Group of 7) and a fictionalized storytelling around the time of his death.

For me, a budding student of history - this was a worlds colliding moment - a real eye-opening moment that showed that song lyrics could be more than just words for vocal melodies and tales of love & lust, and spawned a love of their early catalogue, and a half dozen shows in the next 5 years. I consider myself fortunate to have seen them play "50 Mission Cap" in Maple Leaf Gardens - prior to its release - introduced as a song about the most famous goal ever scored in this building. I knew exactly who Bill Barilko was and was gobsmacked they were singing about him.

The next 3-4 years brought the height of my Hip fandom - a couple 'Another Roadside Attraction' shows - two memorable gigs in the old Ontario Place forum - and another show at MLG. Though at that point they'd grown their audience to include mainstream peeps and getting tickets wasn't as easy or to be honest, desirable.

Over the years I lost touch - sure I'd pop on an old CD and relive the memories - and even went to a show or two in the oughties - I'd lost touch with their new work (still haven't really taken to anything from 2000-2012 - though many folks absolutely love these albums).

Last year though, they decided to tour on the re-issue of 'Fully Completely' so I grabbed a pair of tickets and got to witness the old favourites from that era. Part of me regretted the experience - seeing my Hip fan cohort 20+ years later wasn't flattering - nor were the Hip hosers I'd mostly pushed out of my memory. Suffice to say the evening's music was worth it - if the rest was less enjoyable.

Anyway - once the news of Gord Downie's terminal diagnosis and their summer tour broke - I figured I'd close my story with a final show. Yeah, they cost me as much as a mortgage payment - and the same Hip hoser cohort was out in full force - nostalgia is a powerful animal. But seeing old favourites like 'Blow At High Dough", "New Orleans Is Sinking", "Little Bones","Grace, Too" was totally worth it - and surprisingly they played "Opiated". Life comes full circle sometimes.

Bootsy Collins, NER_MCFC, Pulp and 2 others repped this.
  7. MattyB316

MattyB316 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Delco, PA (137 H)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    8/9/16
    The Acacia Strain, Oceano, Knocked Loose, Culture Killer, Cranley Gardens
    The Voltage Lounge, Philadelphia PA

Overall great show. Hottest indoor show I've ever attended, I think I sweat out 20lbs. Cuture Killer was a pleasant surprise and continues the tradition for me of going to see one of my favorite bands and getting hooked on an opener I've never heard of. Knocked Loose killed it and I was really hyped to finally see them. Would love to see them again next month when they come back around, I swear these guys never stop touring. Oceano was nice to see although I think there was only 1 original member from the last time I saw them years ago. I don't follow them anymore so I didn't recognize most of their newer songs but when they played the older ones it brought back a lot of memories.

The Acacia Strain was the main reason I was at this show. I've seen them at least 10+ times over the last 10 years and they never disappoint. It was the 10th anniversary of their second album, which was what came out the first time I ever saw them and they played more than half of that record straight through. The rest was a mix of the other albums and covered pretty much everything I would want to hear.

Now, I have a bad tradition of getting injured every single time I see TAS. I thought this was going to be the show that broke the streak and the thought crossed my mind as they started their final song. Well, I jinxed myself and caught a punch to the face in the last 30 seconds of that last song. Broke my nose for the 3rd time and 4 stitches to close the gash on the bridge.

All in good fun.

8. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of days ago, I read a story about the final show in Kingston, and about the incomparable status the band holds in Canada and the sense of national identity with which they're associated.

I'm glad you got to go.

Dr. Wankler and crazypete13 repped this.
  9. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    #1209 crazypete13, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    Thanks,

To give you an idea of this - due to immense demand for tickets,the band paid for ~3 hours of prime time CBC coverage ad free during the Olympics to broadcast the finale.

Combining the ratings for TV, radio and web streams 11.7 million people tuned in for all or a portion of the show - which is roughly 1/3 of the population. Only the 2010 gold medal hockey game drew greater ratings, at 16 million or so.

The Prime Minister was in attendance (Kingston is about an hour from Ottawa), and upwards of 25k were in the town square watching on a big screen, on top of the 7k in the arena. This is in a city of 100k.

And as much as they are treasured here - they are road warriors that have carved out a solid US fan base though they never made it big - and have a solid following in the Netherlands.

Dutch label Music On Vinyl has re-issued their first three releases in the last 5 years - which warms my heart immensely.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  10. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    B52s
    Boarding House Park
    Lowell, Mass
    9/3/16

They sounded pretty good considering they've at it for nearly forty years now. They basically a played juke box show, but they have a pretty good jukebox.

crazypete13 and os_mutante repped this.
  11. Matthew Gilliam

Matthew Gilliam New Member

Oct 4, 2016
  12. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doha Player Open-Open Mic in Qatar.... erm... does that count?

:)

13. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    download.jpg

The English Beat -- The Avalon Theater in my podunk town

The English Beat! The English freakin Beat!

Well, no, not really. It was Dave Wakeling claiming to be the English Beat. But as I said, it was in my podunk town, so this is as close to musical royalty as we get.

I've seen Flock of Seagulls three times in the past 20 years in 200+ venues and they just seem pissed that they're not the headliners they used to be. I will say this for Dave, he really did seem to enjoy himself. And that was refreshing...

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  14. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just came back from seeing Elton John in Vegas. 2016 has been all about trying to see some legends before, well, they get 2016'ed. So amidst the usual indie/hip hop and what not this year I've also gone to see Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, ELO, and Paul McCartney. Going to see Peter Hook this weekend play both Substance albums also.

As for Elton John, wow he can still perform at a high level even if he can't hit his signature falsetto anymore. Glad I went. Even though there was no Candle In The Wind and Sad Songs. Really, closing with Circle of Life? Anyway, still a good show.

15. Len

Len Member+

Jan 18, 1999
    John Hiatt

A nice mix of his new material (Terms of My Surrender - 2014) and earlier classics.

16. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1216 glennaldo_sf, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    Toploader
    Hilton Hotel Doha
    Thursday, November 24

Great deal - $50 ticket for a 1 hour show with $30 bullfrog drinks, with only 3 member playing along to prerecorded backing tracks, but ah...... I guess beggars can't really be choosy here when living here in Qatar. Afterwards got to hang out and have a drink with the band at Trader Vic's. Next show is GnR again in March.

17. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hadn't previously heard of them; that song I associate with King Harvest in the early 70s. But apparently Toploader covered it in 2000 and it was a big hit then too. It's one of my favorite trifle songs from the early 70s.

I imagine shows must be pretty expensive there in general, if only because it's expensive for a band to travel there (especially with equipment).

18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Crystal Bowersox at Kitchen Sink Recording Studios in Santa Fe Thursday; she was recording live to a small audience.

And wow is she prolific-- the only things I had heard before in the whole show except for a few covers were "Dead Weight" and "Stitches."And before the show, at a meet and greet, she mentioned that there's some songs she's holding back till they can get a full studio treatment.

Of course there are people who write a lot of songs but they are all mediocre; but these all seemed strong, and none of them were simple... Liked the band a lot too, although the drummer maybe hits a bit too hard for me, at least in a small room.

19. Len

Len Member+

Jan 18, 1999
    Gaither Christmas Homecoming

One of the highlites, for me, was Mary Did You Know, sung by Mark Lowery (wrote the lyrics) and accompanied by, among others, Buddy Greene (wrote the music). If you've heard the song, it was probably Kenny Rogers' version.

Gospel/Christian music is not really my thing (wife loves it), but it was an enjoyable show.

20. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guns N' Roses
    Autism Rocks Arena
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates
    March 3, 2017

Possibly the best and worst concert I've ever been to... best in the sense that GnR absolutely killed it... worst as the organization was catastrophic... fortunately, got in well before, but had to walk almost 2 hours down the highway to finally get a taxi back to Dubai.

http://www.thenational.ae/arts-life...phoric-knockout-juggernaut-of-a-show-in-dubai

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/guns-n-roses-fans-wait-hours-to-get-in-at-dubai-concert

My second time seeing the Not in this Lifetime Tour after Nashville in July, got much closer this time as you can tell:

Excape Goat repped this.
  21. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richard Thompson
    Sanders Theater
    Cambridge, MA
    April 18, 2017

My god that man can play guitar, to say nothing of song writing, more than passable singing and even some pretty entertaining stage patter. Probably the best show I've seen him do, helped in no small part by lucking into front row seats in a general admission room.

Dr. Wankler, glennaldo_sf and taosjohn repped this.
  22. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Generation Axe:
    Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Zakk Wylde, Nuno Bettencourt, Tosin Abasi
    NTU Sports Center
    Taipei, Taiwan
    April 14, 2017

Was on holiday in Taiwan last week and found out this gig was in town, and always being a big Vai fan + all these guys so couldn't resist. A hundred bucks got you right up front. Unfortunately for some reason the sound quality on the video footage I got sucks... probably because I was right by the speakers... anyhoo, sounded better in person obviously..

23. Len

Len Member+

Jan 18, 1999
    Son Volt - outside in the Memphis rain.

24. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Incredible me, Denver, 2014 - They're not my cup of tea, but my kids wanted to go.

The band members are actually really nice. David Jones, the lead singer went around the venue meeting people and he talked to my sons. Apparently they have corresponded for some time with him and the bandmate and they 'knew' each other. My kids used to post their covers on youtube and they invited them onstage to sing one of their songs with them. We also hung out with them after the show for a bit. David Jones thanked me for my service which was pretty neat. Really down to earth.

Prior to that I took them to an Angels and Airwaves concert in Munich at the Theaterfabrik on April 4th 2012. This is Tom Delong's (formerly of Blink 182) band. That was a great concert.

This is footage from the actual concert. We stayed after and met all the members and got to actualyl have conversations with them. Tom Delonge was kind of absorbed with his after show dinner and was the most abrupt. Matt Wachter, their bassist was probably the most personable.

crazypete13 repped this.
  25. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dave Alvin & Phil Alvin
    The Sinclair
    Cambridge, MA
    June 22, 2017

As far as I know, this is the first time the brothers Alvin have toured together since the long ago days of the Blasters. Therefore, there was more than the usual handful of Blasters songs, since many of them were written with Phil's powerhouse voice in mind. There was also a spark between between the two of them that took the night well beyond Dave Alvin's typical high quality shows.

taosjohn repped this.