what is the depth chart for Left Back

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by uksailmaker, Mar 18, 2010.

1. uksailmaker

uksailmaker New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Does anybody know???

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess:

Danny Earls
    Hope
    Pray
    Scott Palguta
    Kosuke Kimura

(But hey, by protecting Cory Gibbs instead of Jordan Harvey we got Jeff Larentowictz)

3. angrywhiteman

angrywhiteman Member

May 26, 2004
    CO Mountains
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Valentino and Holody have played there as well.

4. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Moor play LB in Dallas?

5. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    You left off dismemberment.

6. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Depth at left back pales in comparison to depth at outside midfield. A situation that helped doom the team in 2009 and ignored so far in 2010.

7. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Well actually with Peterson gone we're shallower than when we started last year. The plan is that last year's injuries disaster proofed us I would guess. (Adding Jamie Smith offset losing Terry Cooke ... numerically anyway.)

8. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Damn, I hate it when I'm not pessimistic enough :)

Wait what about Wells :)

9. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Okay, that get us back to nothing has been done. ;>)

10. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was last years depth?

Clark, Cooke, Peterson (considering that LaBrocca started over Cooke most games they were available, is Cooke relevant?)

This year,

Clark, Smith, Thompson, Lorei (maybe)

I've still never figured out why Mehdi, who played a lot of wing in SL, never found much time out there. He's not fast, but he's not slower than Noonan.

11. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    My biggest differences that I see:
    Last year starters
    Clark & Cooke - both healthy and history of reasonable productivity. Clark on the way up, Cooke, hopefully able to continue at previous levels. Outlook was good and possible better if Clark continued to improve.
    This year starters:
    Clark - may or may not regain form. Hardly should be expected to improve over last year, at least for a while. Outlook is hopefully Clark will return to form.
    Smith - Still an unknown, hopefully can be good.

Is Wells better then Peterson? I wasn't convinced that Jacob was a good enough sub last year. I don't feel any better about Wells. Considering the question marks at projected starters, the sub role becomes much more important.

The Rapids, in respect to outside mid, are starting 2010 in worse shape then they started in 2009.

12. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why always the pokes n jabs at me rapid storm what did i do to you?

13. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Haha, I think that's the first time I've ever jabbed at you. But even then, looking at our depth chart...are you any good at left back? :eek:

14. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol defense aint my thing but if all i gotta do is run up to the half line and go back n just chill maaaaybe. lol

i can do the jordan harvey after half time i can hurl orange gatorade like he used to do :D

to comment about wells yes he can play defense and do more then just run really fast. his like a raw talented version of colling

if colins out anytime during the year wells can play left better then he can right and his right footed'

with him given the chance to shine a team looking for an identy i think he can give us some cheers this year.

15. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd argue it is safer to be thin at outside defensive positions than it is to be thin at outside midfield. One of the other defenders will be able to slot in at LB when needed. It is harder to say that for outside midfield, a more dynamic position, IMO.

16. W.J. Marx

W.J. Marx Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Boulder, Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is one way to look at it.

IMO, fullbacks are among the most dynamic players on the pitch. In modern football, fullbacks play, or should play, end line to end line. They defend their goal and with support & crosses attack their opponents goal. With good teams there are 11 good players each contributing fully to the sides' success. There is no room for slackers or substandard players. There is no room for players out of position. There are 11 important positions. There must be 11 important players.

17. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Marx regarding the importance of the outside back, but I'm afraid the reality of MLS is that the outside back positions are routinely gambled on owing to the cap. Looking around the league, I'm not overwhelmed by the options.

The US hasn't developed many good outside backs recently and to a limited extent this is one of the reasons.

18. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    How'd that work out for us last year?

19. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree left n right backs are some the most important players ever. look at ashley cole ashley young on the left so much pace and if one gets ahead of the over they take over the lb spot.

20. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't saying they're not important, I was saying they're less important.

21. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Regardless of the theory. My concern is with the Rapids.

22. W.J. Marx

W.J. Marx Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Boulder, Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This statement is speculative & capricious.

Which is the least important position on the pitch? 100 fans will offer 110 opinions. They are all wrong! None is more or less important than any other. 1 weak leak breaks the chain.

23. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the budgetary constraints, can you have a team that doesn't compromise on some position?

24. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    The past few champions have had a compromise at really every position, Schelotto being the only real exception. RSL and Columbus were both a collection of above-average parts all over the pitch, and one could argue Houston was constructed the same way except for DeRo.

The difference seems to be they don't completely compromise any position. They'll settle for slightly-less than superstars everywhere as long as the collective team doesn't have a weakness.

25. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Pretty much by definition teams that play in leagues with a salary cap live, die, succeed and fail by their ability to manage compromises.