What is the bigger game in Oz?

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by Football Not Soccer, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Football Not Soccer

Jun 13, 2004
    South Wales, UK
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Thanks for the replies thus far folks...

I have read that out of Aussie Rules, Union and League, that Union will be the big loser if the Football side do well in next years World Cup, not League as you are saying.

This is because Union in Oz is heavily reliant on the Wallabies doing well. At the moment they are playing awful. So International pride therefore may switch from Union to Football making Union's International brand weaker, and its domestic product increasingly worthless.

League will never die in Queensland (Esp. with the GC Titans coming in 2007) and won't die in NSW either.

After reading up on this subject I don't think there has been a worse decade for League in Oz yet AFL/ARU couldn't land the knock out blow on the sport so as far as I can make out League can only get stronger.

They may need to expand to Adelaide and Perth sooner than later though and then they may be able to take on the AFL...

As I see it now...

1. AFL - Saturation level. Already got teams in the 'big 5' markets and still yet to make any real impact in Brisbane (Even after several Premierships) and hardly any inrodes in Sydney

2. NRL - Had a terrible decade, can only get better. Has no teams in SA or WA which are important markets if they plan to make this a truly 'National' Rugby League. It's also failing to make much enrode in Melbourne however the sport now must be offered by all educational institutions in Victoria. This can only be good for RL

3. ARU - No domestic competition and only has strength in Canberra. The National side is failing and WILL soon be overtaken by Football

4. Football - A-League going swimmingly thus far. International side in WC Finals for first time in 30-40 years. Highest participation rate than the rest of the sports put together. Its a Sleeping Giant...

My 2 'pence' worth :cool:

Oh and while we are on about 'League', will Kerry Packer be sorely missed?

2. Caljgard

Caljgard New Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    The thing that the NRL ************ed up on the most was the removal of the Western Reds. When the plug was pulled they had many up and coming West Australians playing in First and Reserve Grade, despite only being around for 3 years. The Melbourne Storm have been around for a while and there have still been no notable victorian players to date.

3. Champagne Football

Champagne Football New Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    AFL no impact in Brisbane? Then why did they have to expand the capacity of the Gabba? (Not for cricket, mate!) The crowds to watch the Brisbane Lions home game are higher than for NRL games. There were several Queensland players picked up in the National Draft, including 2 to my beloved Essendon. Where are the Victorian players in the NRL? (No-one here gives a s**t about NRL.)

Where did you get that stuff about Rugby League having to be offered by all educational institutuions in Victoria? Get off the drugs mate. We don't even know the rules, so how can we teach it in schools? You've got your wires crossed there. No sport "MUST" be taught in schools.:rolleyes: