What is the best soccer bar is Seattle?

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by lovingthegreen, Jan 13, 2010.

1. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, since it is clear from perusing the other thread that so many disagree that Fado is the best soccer bar in the U.S., I figured I would take the discussion into a more positive direction. Which is the best soccer bar in Seattle and why?

In my opinion, factors to be included should include atmosphere during Sounders, U.S., European and other games, devotion to soccer over other sports and the ability to watch games there live. Feel free to disagree with my criteria, as well.

2. rand al'thor

rand al'thor New Member

Jul 30, 2009
    In the 4th dimension
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't know if it's the best, being rather small and all, but for my money, the summit pub is the shiiiiit.

3. BROSUF

BROSUF Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dray

4. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously? I have never been inside. I used to hang at the Ballard Playhouse a few buildings to the east. That small portion of 65th has a nice feel to it, and I still enjoy driving through there. When did they become a soccer bar?

5. BROSUF

BROSUF Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Day 1..

good beers -

6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think always?

7. safcfan

safcfan Member

Feb 28, 2003
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I would like to know if there is a bar in Seattle that regularly shows league games that are NOT EPL.
    Seems like every "soccer" bar limits regular showings to (1) Sounders, (2) EPL, and maybe (3) Champions League/Europa.
    Would be nice to find a place that regularly shows other Euro or S.American leagues, but I realize the demand out here is for EPL.
    Even a bar that regularly shows non-Sounders MLS games would be interesting. I am a Sounders fan but am interested in keeping up with other teams too.

If anyone knows of any please post.

8. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kells does Celtic games.

http://www.kellsirish.com/seattle/index.php

Not sure about other SPL games though.

9. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    George and Dragon and Atlantic Crossing.

dont agree join the ECS at the AC on the 23rd...

10. DarthGreedo

DarthGreedo Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Saint Andrews up by greenlake is pretty good. The food is actually good and i was there for MLS Semi-final LA vs Houston so they play at least important MLS games...

Plus they are walking distance to my house and have Boundry Bay on tap. SOLD!

11. gblfxt

gblfxt Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    watched euro at george and dragon.

12. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Cafe Presse also shows Ligue 1 and other non-English games. http://www.cafepresseseattle.com/pages/football.php

I'm guessing Azzurri would show Italian games, but not 100 percent sure.

By the way, would those posting bar names please give your reasons for why that is a good soccer bar? Thanks.

13. rand al'thor

rand al'thor New Member

Jul 30, 2009
    In the 4th dimension
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really?

i went there for a sounder away game once, and had a hard time getting them to turn away from the sec college football game that was playing at the time. maybe they just don't support local soccer.

14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *shrug* They claim to do Celtic games and Sounders games. I've never been myself, but I have heard such things from generally reliable people.

15. Seattle Dan

Seattle Dan New Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Oly, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have been to AC only once, but there were 3 tvs watching 3 different games, and also 3 computers set up watching 3 other games. great place

16. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I'll go with George & Dragon, if only because they're pretty much soccer specific. On the weekends they'll ususally show 2 EPL games at once throughout the day. Occasionally some La Liga and Seria A when the big boys are playing each other. But more importantly they make really good bloody mary's.

17. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    It's not the best soccer bar in Seattle. It's not even a soccer bar. But I'd like to give credit to a place that was always soccer friendly, at least it was when I was still living nearby 8 years ago: The College Inn in the U District.

I'd regularly watch Champion's League games there between class with 5-10 others. They always had any national team games on. They didn't have FSC, so that was about it.

But more importantly, the owners are/were big soccer fans. They'd drive up to Vancouver or down to Portland for USA games. They'd have soccer on rather than the M's, Hawks or whatever.

Just a great bunch of guys and a good place to watch the game.

18. safcfan

safcfan Member

Feb 28, 2003
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
  19. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cafe Presse is cool in general. The soccer is just butter on the baguette.

20. Couverite

Couverite Guest

Why pick one? There are some great neighborhood bars for soccer all over Seattle. The Dray in Phinney Ridge/Ballard. St. Andrews in Green Lake. The University Inn in the U District. The G&D in Frellard. The Atlantic Crossing in Ravenna. And that's just north of the shipping canal...

21. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That'd be cool - I'll have to head down there since I live in the U-District.

Sounds like it. I'm going to have to head there, too, because Ligue 1 is my favorite foreign league. I just could never get into the EPL.

True.

As for me personally, I would like to find a place that I could make my home away from home, so to speak, for all U.S. and away Sounders games. A place that would be open for games like U.S. friendlies in Europe at 7 a.m. (such as the game against Slovakia this past November) or at 11:30 a.m. on a weekday (happens relatively often, including this coming March 3 against the Netherlands). A nice atmosphere for away Sounders games would be great too. I don't quite want the craziness and constant singing of an ECS bar, but I want a place where people are very much into and focused on the game. Oh and sound turned on for U.S. and Sounders games is a significant plus (doesn't have to be loud, but should be on at least).

Given the need to find a place to watch all the U.S. games on a live basis no matter what time they are played, as well, Fado appears to be the one that fits the bill. But I am very curious if anywhere else would fit what I'm looking for.

I'm still interested in what soccer bars in Seattle people like in general, but as for what I am personally looking for, that is it.