What is the average attendance in WPSL?

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by REALfootballRulez, Jun 7, 2009.

1. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW! This league has a LOT of teams in 4 different divisions! But why does one entire division have no wins or losses so they are on hiatus or something??

With teams from California to Maine I was wondering what is the attendance like in this league. I'm guessing they average around 500 to 1000?

What kind of venues do they play at? I'm assuming in some places they must play at high schools?

2. Leenstra11

Leenstra11 Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Long Island Fury averaged about 600 per game.

3. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW! It took 3 months to get a single response! I'm guessing the WPSL attendance ranges from about 300 to 1000?

4. DazzRef

DazzRef Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Buffalo NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffalo's highest attendance was for the last game of the season - about 400.

5. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About how much do the players get paid? I'm guessing it's somewhat less than minor league baseball since WPSL attendance is less.

WPSL players make around $200 a week plus a stipend for meals and free travel? Or is that too extravagant?

6. DazzRef

DazzRef Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Buffalo NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't tell you, but I do know that the ownership put all the players up in sponsored housing for the season. I'm assuming that they're paid something because they were called a professional team.

The biggest issue that the Flash are going to have is revenue generation - Orchard Park HS is a nice field, but I believe they can't sell merchandise or anything like that because the facility is a high school (supposedly there are rules about what can and can't be sold on a high school property). The Flash will need to find a new home where they can get around these issues - in Buffalo, there aren't many fields that could be used for pro outdoor soccer, so finding a new home is going to be a challenge.

7. geewizzz

geewizzz Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Most of these teams have college players & they don't get paid anything because of the NCAA rules & only 1 team is professional ..not sure though. FC Indiana..i don't know if any other team is Pro. But anyway the players generally get expenses but i don't think they get paid much to be honest.

8. DazzRef

DazzRef Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Buffalo NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can tell you for a fact that Buffalo is considered to have Pro Status, like Indiana. Those are the only 2 clubs to have that status (that was confirmed both by the club, and a senior USSF assessor).

9. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would think when they are on the road meals and room and board would be covered as part of those expenses. For home games though they probably have to scrounge up their own food.

10. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are both W-League teams now, though Indiana used to be a WPSL team (and one of the best, for that matter).