What is our biggest need now?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsRule, Jul 22, 2020.

1. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching 3 games, we seemed better defensively then on offense, So I am asking, What is our Biggest Need Right Now?

For me, I have two areas of concern. First, the Rowe and Caldwell pair at DM. I like both of them but not at the same time. I think they could split the position IF we could get somebody more creative for the other side. I think our lack of goal scoring is partially due to this combination at DM. Secondly - I would like to see more speed up front in the middle. Buska may be good if the first change were to happen but as of now, I dont see him scoring many goals. I would really like to see a forward that can stretch the defense. One that can break away if given a good pass. We are getting too old if we think Teal is going to do it.

So it comes down to a speed forward and a creative midfielder. I think we're OK at defense right now

2. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we have what may be the most creative midfielder in the league already. The combination of Rowe and Caldwell, although not very big, is a good set of DMs who read the game and are smart enough to be in the right place.

The thing I think we need right now is time. They need to play together for a while. The offense will come. They are getting chances.

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think Polster is the expected answer at DM, but he's not eligible for the tournament (nor would anyone that they might acquire now).

I think the offense is fine - they are getting plenty of chances and are coming very close. They'll start dropping.

My biggest concern is Gil missing major time, so I think we need a better backup at creator/defense-offense link.

BERich repped this.
  4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thought exactly.

Feldspar repped this.
  5. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    #5 A Casual Fan, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    What is our biggest need now?

Answers:
    1.) Gil
    2.) gil
    3.) Carles Gil
    4.) Gil
    5.) C. Gil
    6.) Carles G.

7.) and...somehow there is a glaring lack of (I would say "more", but the right word is "any") plays that are intended to play ball directly to Buksa for scoring chances. He's basically getting onto misplays/redirects/odd bounces. Can't score much if that's all you are getting for (haha) "service".

8.) Luis Caicedo back in the middle.

(I am having a very difficult time recalling ANY balls played directly to him in yesterday's game. It's like watching the whole Kei Kamara time here, all over again. The Bruce needs to solve for this soon.)

--------------------------------------------------
    I realize that #7 may well be somewhat related to #1-#6. But even in the games with Gil here, the ball still didn't often find its way to Buksa. So, on that basis, it's not a function of not having Gil available. It is happening even when he is available.

tsb11 and Revs in 2010 repped this.
  6. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with your odd-numbered answers - 1, 3, 5, & 7. :laugh:

As for # 7; all the talking heads will tell you how important it is to have confidence as a scorer. Well if they don't get you the ball it is tough to score and it is tough to have any confidence. I sure hope BA figures it out quickly.

I agree with RevsRule (I'm quite agreeable today!), I like Rowe and Caldwell, but not starting together. I forgot about Polster, maybe he's the answer??

I would all so like to see a game where Buttner is LB and Jones is LM. I think the talent is there, but BA has to find the right combinations.

Revs in 2010 repped this.
  7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Buksa has 2 goals in 5 games, so that's a pretty good strike rate (even though I think it can get better).

The Gil/Bou chemistry is miles ahead at this point and it's resulted in Bou getting a ton of shots - and I'm fine with that, because his aim, with the exception of a couple of bad misses, is pretty on-target.

Last game we were on our heels for almost the whole first half, but I was pretty pleased and surprised by how much offense we generated in the 2nd half w/o Gil and Bou (for much of it).

8. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Buksa is in a weird spot right now. After Gil the most creative passer on the team is probably... Adam Buksa. Teal/Penilla/Buchanon/any other winger on the roster are all down hill runners with varying dribbling abilities that dont really contribute much to passing. It seems to me having Buksa drop deeper into a target role and letting him play with runners coming off him might be what the team needs right now. Bou, who is pretty much a 2nd striker, and Rowe, who is the only CM on the team who excites me arriving late to the box, would also benefit from the stylistic change

propnut27 and A Casual Fan repped this.