What is happening in the enlightened north?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Yankee_Blue, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
  2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    OK, I'll bite. What these incidents prove once again is that racism exists in all corners of the U.S. & A. I know you're shocked, right?

3. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are those among us who would argue that that's not the case. I am not one of those people.

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I believe his point was that the board’s enlightened elite like use these sad incidents to paint the south as backwards, inbred backwater.

5. pylon

pylon New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Chi-Det corridor
    Point taken. Time to close the thread.

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    While there's certainly racism up here, we don't have "white" trees and white & black proms. So yes, we do feel far superior.

7. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    What is happening in the enlightened USA?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_segregation#United_States_.2819th-21st_century.29
    According to the Civil Rights Project at Harvard University, the actual de facto desegregation of U.S. public schools peaked in the late 1980s; since that time, the schools have, in fact, become more segregated mainly due to the ethnic segregation of the nation with whites dominating the suburbs and minorities the urban centers. As of 2005, the present proportion of black students at majority white schools "are a level lower than in any year since 1968."
    Yeah, we've all got a lot to be proud of.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_segregation_in_the_United_States#De_facto_segregation
    http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/2005/American-Apartheid-Education1sep05.htm

8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Can I say this out loud and not be considered a racist? Having read a lot of the background, I need to be convinced the Columbia professor on whose door the noose was left, Prof. Madonna Constantine, that she was not involved.

9. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Yankee... I was sincerely hoping that your post would discuss this hate speech incident last week which - for some reason - seemed to be lightly reported. To wit, real racist students at George Washington University distributed flyers on campus attempted to fool the college administration and students that conservative Young America's Foundation (YAF) was racist. They failed. This story, too, needs discussion....

10. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    What is happening?

Of course. A certain percentage of these incidents turn out to be self-inflicted. That does not mean that the professor did so in this case. But a healthy skepticism never hurts. Also, even if one idiot did do this to her, it should not become some symbol of overt racism on the CU campus. One media report stated that seven NYPD officers were assigned to investigate. Most NYC murders don't draw this much attention or police resources.
    CU should have put the 6 security videos on its internal internet and let its own community view them to determine who entered & left the building.
    I followed ITN's post & found a few articles on the subject.
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20040420-0247-ca-hatecrimehoaxes.html
    http://www.knbc.com/education/3998600/detail.html

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then start a thread.

12. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Students would have to be awfully goddamned stupid to see those flyers as anything but satire--heavy handed satire at that.

I mean, really, really goddamned stupid, because the parody is slightly less subtle than Liberal Larry.

Christ, I'd hate to be around somebody that dense. They probably try to cut their food with a spoon once a day.

They're probably also dumb enough to belong to YAF.

13. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So racism is okay if it's parody or satire? Which is it? Let us know will you bojendyk? And why is it "dumb" to be with YAF?

14. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Satirizing something usually is not the something being satirized. That's the point.

Now, how well it is done is a different question. Not having seen the GW flyers, I cannot say anything about that.

But for a more well-known popular culture example of using 'racism' to satirize racism, watch 'All in the Family.'

15. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  16. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We Yankees never said we didn't have a fair population of jackasses up here.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's true for as much of the region as it isn't. Oh, and the fact that some folks outside the South exhibit the same characteristics does not make this board's enlightened elite wrong.

18. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My undertanding is that one of the highest per capita KKK membership rates exists in Pennsylvania north of Interstate 80.

19. John Kevin W. Desk

John Kevin W. Desk New Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Huh. Would have thought it was Indiana. Or southern Ohio.

There's a reason you see Confederate flags outside the South a lot. And a reason why people sporting Confederate flags outside the South need to be....

Remember "South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut", when the newsreel said "Did I say death camps? I meant happy camps."

Yeah. That was funny.

20. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Williamsport? Louzy Little League.

21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good edit. Penn State's main campus is actually south of I-80.

22. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    TBH, the board's enlightended elite paint with very broad brushes.

23. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    No CU arrests, but 16 copycat incidents

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny...columbia_hate_crimes_involving_noose_swa.html
    "Columbia hate crimes involving noose, swastika may go unsolved"
    "Despite a subsequent high-profile investigation, including the review of 56 hours of videotape from seven cameras, police report no arrests, no suspects and no resolution to the case that spurred 16 more noose incidents citywide since Oct. 9."
    How about some polygraphs?

24. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  25. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003