What is going to be the next India?

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by FearM9, Feb 1, 2006.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    India seems to be the "IT" country right now for big companies like Dell and Microsoft setting up shop there. Blah blah blah wages are going up yadda yadda yadda.

So what country is posed to be the next India? Will it be a non-Asian country?

2. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I think Dell and Microsoft have a lot of employees in China already.

As for eastern European country, I recall reading somewhere that Estonia has a very vibrant computer community.

3. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    The next India? If you mean in a country with as many educated, English speaking people, I'm not sure anyplace can match that.

4. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Scotland

5. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Eastern Europe is going to be a hot spot. Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania. Cheap labor, educated workforces, LOW TAXES.

7. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There are three factors that work to India's favour in this:

1) A lot of IT/Engineering graduates every year, of whom a good percentage are quite talented.
    2) Fairly decent command over the English language.
    3) Political stability, and no strong anti-US feelings unlike some parts of the Islamic world and South America.

Right now no other place meets all these conditions. China does exceedingly well on point 1, and as good as India on point 3.But lags behind in English language skills.
    The Eastern European countires right now, are looking towards EU. If they join the EU, then US companies there will have to pay the workers there mnimum EU wages which are almost as equal to what the worker in US gets paid if not higher. So it would not make much economic sense.

8. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Yes. The point 2 is good for India, but you forget one point which China is a lot better than India--the government effciency and infrastracture (sp?). Also with the way China is going, maybe in the future, more people willing to speak Chinese than English? For example, in California, Chinese becomes #1 foreign language (used to Spanish) in High School and College for participants.

9. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trying to think of a former British colony with good education levels.

10. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    US of A :D

11. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What you say is correct, but it works against China too. For sure China has more efficiency and infrastructure than India. Its government is also not at corrupt as India's government. But with this comes the prospect of Chinese government actively interfering in the day to day business of the outside firms in China. Indian government maintains a laissez faire attidue when it comes to foreign firms in India as long as they get their taxes.

12. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I wouldn't call the government's attitude as laissez faire. They have more than plenty of regualations and taxes to keep them far from that. They have a more democratic approach to their over-regulation than China but it's not laissez faire.
    a

13. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Nowsday, Chinese government is only helping business then interfering it. For example, in Shanghai, the government wants to promote hardware designing companies, but the tool costs about $5M for license. Many small startups cannot affort, so the government bought the tool and let those startups using for free.

14. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, i agree that they want to encourage businesses. That is true. But they also want to control how business is in China. they have stricter regulations. A good example of this is google, when they launched a google China, on government instructions they had to limit/ban all falun gong sites, under the google search. this is one instance of a company's working being interfered with by the government. Google changed their ways, but all companies might not.

15. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    The Indian governemnt is hardly hands-off when it comes to foreign investment. Remember the rows over airport privatization or the past ones over foreign banks, etc. etc. etc.

16. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This happens before the government decides weather or not to let the private/foreign players invest or help start a venture. But after they give the green signal, the government in most cases will not interfere in the dailly running the company.

17. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Maybe but in the end I'm not sure that it better. China, for example, has let entire industries be dominated by foreign investors and foreign firms. In comparison India still protects all sorts of industries. Even with ones that have been "liberlised" such as airlines they still place considerable restrictions on what can and can't be done. They may interfere less in a handful of things foreigners are allowed to do but there are a heck of lot less opportunites.

I don't want to encourage people to jump on the China bandwagon. But, poorvi, you very well may be leaning to far the other way. An insane amount of foreign investment has been pooring into China (see chart below) and that has been putting a lot of pressure on the government to clarify and create laws and regulations that weren't around 5 or 10 years ago.

[​IMG]

18. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree with every word you say. But Foreign Investment comparison between India and China is not the topic. Most of the Investment in China is in the manufacturing sector. While in India the investment is in IT and IT related fields. I couldnt find any supporting figures or graphs, but I am sure India will have much more Foriegn Investment in the IT and related sectors than China does. The reasons for those, I have mentioned in my first post in this thread. The reasons that China heavily outperforms India in manufacturing are
    1) Much better infrastructure and transportation.
    2) Lower labour wages.
    3) The Communist government/labour unions of China hardly allows any strikes, so work progresses as per schedule.

19. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    But China has lower wages? Not in terms of distribution of wealth. But overall, what you're saying is a nice way to put it. Really, India doesn't have a lot of manufacturing jobs because they have a highly, highly, highly regualted insider/outsider system. It keeps the outsiders (both in teerms of foreign companies but also in the sense of citizens looking for employment that don't have a job) out and helps those who do get in, stay in. The tariffs and regulations are very harsh and prohibitive.

20. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    Considering the 'IQ and wealth of nations' aspect, I like China's odds.

21. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What exactly do you mean? :confused:

22. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    Samples of IQ scores in urban China from internationally used tests. I get an impression that China has a lot of potential to bring forth after more economic reform and better living conditions for more millions of its citizens (better nutrition/quality of life/etc means people will get smarter). But this is just my uneducated guess - so nevermind me :)

23. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next call center "boom-town" is going to be the Philippines.

24. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  25. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Weren't people saying that 25 years ago?