What is going on with these referees?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by When Hell Unfreezes, Aug 24, 2006.

1. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    Two games into the new season and the men in black are making a bigger name for themselves than any team or player - pr!cks.............

Uriah Heap needs to go back to referee's first grade, if he didn't think Todd's assault on AJ wasn't a pen.

Sonko's sending off and penalty decision?

And the forearm smash on Pedro Mendes, belonged on WWE not the EPL - I don't think Ben Thatcher has heard the end of that :(

Chris Powell's handball?

WTF is going on?

2. Fratton Fred

Fratton Fred New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    At the Bar
    Andy Todd got sent off at Fratton park on saturday and the decision was a bit harsh. I nust admit, from where I was sat (and with my blue tinted glasses on) it looked liked a sure fire red, but TV coverage showed he just played theball. Todd will use this footage and get his red card rescinded.

Ben Thatcher knocks Pedro Mendes unconscious with a deliberate elbow and the rules of the game prevent him from being hauled in front of the FA because the ref spotted it and as far as the FA are concerned, it has been delt with. The ref must have been the only person in the ground who thought it was a yellow.

seems to be double standards here, if a player can use tv footage to get their name cleared, surely the FA should use it to penalise when they have not been dealt with severely enough?

Ben Thatcher would be best advised to avoid Hampshire for a while:mad:

3. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

Easy solution. Call the old bill in Manchester and tell them you witnessed an assault. They have to investigate. Happened the other year but i cannot remember the details.

4. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    Thatcher needs to be shot :mad: Disgrace to football for what he did last night and for playing poo week in week out

5. MUFC_BARLOW

MUFC_BARLOW Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Chorley
    has anyone got a video of the ben fatcher challange??

6. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
  7. chrizzah

chrizzah Member

Aug 8, 2000
    DC
  8. chrizzah

chrizzah Member

Aug 8, 2000
    DC
    For what it's worth, the FA rescinded that card yesterday.

9. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Complete disgrace, and should get a long ban. I understand that the FA are having problems though as the ref descion is final and the fool only gave a yellow. Glad to see the police are getting involved, maybe a charge of GBH or ABH will sort him out

10. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched it and even at regular speed his arm was up deliberately. Thatcher needs a month off, maybe longer, w/o pay.

11. ATL_Iron

ATL_Iron New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Stuart Pearce needs to step up here and do the right thing, Come out publicly that this sort of thing cannot be tollerated, and describe the ban, fine rather than waiting for the FA. I would expect no less from Pards.

12. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    Pearce has already come out and said that he thinks the incident was unacceptable and that he was at least content that Thatcher had written a letter of apology to Mendes. You can't expect anything more from Pearce - he has had a word with him and told him that he did was wrong. Its pointless him banning Thatcher as it is up to the FA and he cannot do anymore.

13. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    Pearce is apparently looking for a new left-back according to TalkSport, or thats at least what they were saying earlier. Thatcher looks likely to be on his way out but who would honestly want him?

14. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    I quote............."...It is one of the fundamental rules of the game that the referees decision is final..." - FIFA spokesman.

I can live with this, just so long as the referee who fcuked up, is banned for life...

I haven't heard one single case for Thatcher's defence, so if he gets off scot free, someone has to take the pineapple........

15. Pakalolo

Pakalolo Member

Apr 27, 2006
    at home
  16. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The standard has been nothing short of scandalous. Rob Styles had an absolute shocker at Bramall Lane. Fortunately their boss seems to agree. Gallagher is off to the lower reaches of football, although what they have done to deserve him, I don't know.

17. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per and interview Hackett had with Sky this morning, Styles has been demoted to the Championship due to his performance this past week, along with one other ref who I didn't recognize.

18. drc003

drc003 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Bennett has an absolute shocker in every match he officiates. The guy makes so many puzzling decisions. It's pathetic really.