What is going on with our youth development?

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Eleven Bravo, Jul 25, 2019.

1. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say we haven't produced any quality HGPs, just not any world-beaters. Bello's been in the Atlanta United system for 5 years now, so I think we can legitimately claim him. He's definitely quality. And Andrew Carleton definitely has the physical skills to make an impact somewhere, but his mental fitness seems to be the issue. And with the dearth of top-flight talent this season on the team, some HGPs got some minutes this year and overall did quite well.

Atlanta's never going to be an FC Dallas, just churning out prospects every year. That's not the model they're seeking to emulate. Atlanta prefers to buy established players and to market them. They'll maintain an academy system to occasionally stumble across a diamond in the rough. So in that sense, you're right. If I was a mid-level pro prospect, I wouldn't want to come to Atlanta's academy because you won't get the exposure you might elsewhere.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m praying that the Atlanta FO doesn’t look at in that way. Youth development is FINALLY being prioritized as a necessity for the league development, and I’m hoping that the league continues to promote that path. But if it does, and Atlanta continues to trivialize the importance of being extremely aggressive in youth development, I fear, and we will have no one to blame but ourselves, Atlanta will turn into a very mediocre club to the FC Dallas’ and Philadelphia Union’s of the league.

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Do you mean "Compared" to?

I ask because neither Philly nor Dallas has been impressive in the seasons we've been in the league. I'd put our average play against theirs in '17, '18 and '19 and expect to win most of the time.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, the way I'm viewing it is that while the club is seven years old they've only really had 4 years for AUFC coaches to develop young talent, and that's working with the available local talent pool. Atlanta has some good players but not nearly the depth of the metro Dallas and NY/Philly areas, and the Dallas program has been around for notably longer.

If the well remains dry over the next 2-3 seasons then I'll panic. But if the senior side returns to form next season and the overall business model remains strong that Atlanta still looks and performs more like a (MLS-level) super club then I won't complain too greatly. Cause in that scenario the team's pedigree will keep the coffers rich enough to give the academy time.

But that's just me.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, the way I'm viewing it is that while the club is seven years old they've only really had 4 years for AUFC coaches to develop young talent, and that's working with the available local talent pool. Atlanta has some good players but not nearly the depth of the metro Dallas and NY/Philly areas, and the Dallas program has been around for notably longer.

If the well remains dry over the next 2-3 seasons then I'll panic. But if the senior side returns to form next season and the overall business model remains strong that Atlanta still looks and performs more like a (MLS-level) super club then I won't complain too greatly. Cause in that scenario the team's pedigree will keep the coffers rich enough to give the academy time.

But that's just me.

6. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I wouldn't panic just yet. We do, in fact, have a youth pipeline. Dallas' youth program is bigger than their first team program. As in, the FO puts more money and effort into the youth than into the first team. Their model is to develop and sell players from scratch. The first team is just a showpiece for their youth program most years. The fact that they've won some silverware and been generally competitive in the league is proof that it's working. But they're not perennial MLS Cup contenders.

And in the United States, FCD can leverage the pay-to-play model at the same time that they fund and develop their own players, and then they can pull from both pools. As a business model, it's working out for them quite well. As a sports fan, it's infuriating because the first team is constantly mediocre.

Auriaprottu and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    GunnerJacket and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things I notice about the benefit of youth development so far in MLS - #1 these players seem to be getting sold for decent bucks and that money can be reinvested into the team. #2 depth. When I look at the teams that have good youth academies, it seems like they have greater ability to rotate their guys. As we saw, it only takes one injury to a Josef or other key player, and we go from title contender to bottom dwellers.

But the main point - I believe this is the direction the league is taking. We can either pioneer the way, or we can get left in the dust by teams that are doing a better job.

Now, I get that Dallas might have more history with development, so that’ll give them a leg up for now. But if our goal is not to surpass them in that department, I would be extremely disappointed in a club that could really capitalize on the passion for this team in the area.

9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just saw a photo of Chol. Man, I know it ain't in his genes, but this kid is going to HAVE to figure out a way to bulk up at least a little. He makes Brek Shea look swole.

[​IMG]

GunnerJacket and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    LOL

Let's hope that can be addressed when dealing with a proper nutritionist and fitness staff. I'll gladly donate 10 pounds!

Or 15...

Side note: My son, who doesnt do sports, raised an eyebrow at the signing. Apparently their is a Pokemon called Machop.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2021/02/10/atlanta-uniteds-biggest-needs-ahead-2021-season-extratime

This article also makes me emphasize the importance of youth development. I know I’m beating a dead horse here, or feel like Cassandra warning about the fall of Troy, but MLS is evolving where if you don’t have an amazing youth academy, you’re not going to win big games. Teams need depth. And the best way to have depth is through youth development. We have got to prioritize our academy system. I’d forego a DP for a couple years and put all that money in accelerating or overhauling our production of our young players. Atlanta, the rest of Georgia; and the south, is a hotbed for soccer. We shouldn’t let it go to waste.

12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I won't disagree regarding the importance of an academy but I'm pretty sure they're spent out as far as funds on that front. At the least, I don't know that penny pinching on a first-team signing will yield much benefits on the youth side. The issue (if I understand it correctly) is that coaches at that level are at a premium, and even more so among the younger age levels before kids are eligible for the academy.

The hope is that with each successive year the AU coaches can update the profile of talent both for what they're receiving and how it is progressing, which will allow them to refine coaching strategies, communications with other youth league coaches, etc. That's what Carlos offered in a presser some time ago, anyway. No idea of the turnover among senior coaching has impaired that progress.

But it's obviously not a perfect science. I can think of only a handful of major clubs around the world known as consistent talent factories.

13. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An article appeared on DSS today where Heinze spoke about his displeasure with the relation between MLS and their academies. Specifically, he's frustrated that he can't just bring up anybody he feels ready to play in MLS matches, they have to be giving a professional contract first.

This is one area I think the league would be better served matching other leagues in the world. You can only register so many players, but players under a certain age don't have to be registered. It would encourage teams to develop and play this own kids, knowing giving them a shot wouldn't cost a roster spot. If he looks overmatched, the only thing you've lose are those minutes he played.

I'd love to see the 2s turn into a u-21 squad (even if it meant going down a level or two in USL) but everyone on the squad is eligible to be bumped up to play if the situation warrants, without the team having to do add the player to the main roster or do a short term contract.

14. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not just also have the U-21s in addition to the 2s?

15. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having a team where some of the squad are older players who don't really have a path to the first team, who couldn't even come up in an emergency because of roster rules, is odd to me. They're only there to fill the roster and give the team some competiveness in the league they're in. Having it also in Atlanta is odd to me since attendance is so low, even with the free tickets given to season ticket holders. I've never used any of mine. I get they're here so they can train with the first team and the guys who can go up and down have games to play when they're not involved with the A team, but still.

I'd keep a partnership with a USL club to send guys on loan when the situation suits, but otherwise I'd rather have a U-21 squad filled with players that could potentially play for the A team someday. Especially if roster rules were adjusted where they could come up without needing a separate roster slot.

16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    When every team can afford full on academies and afford all the proper insurance and travel costs for such then you'll see more stuff like this happen. Keep in mind the players' union will do their best to ensure the career viability of existing players first, because just 5 years ago you still had first team players in need of second jobs.

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Apparently the Ajax model is no longer in vogue. I am odd, but I think the we could grow our own..

18. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, you're not wrong in general, but Gurr played wonderfully last night on the first team after spending two or three years with the 2s, and he's "old" for a guy who's just now getting first-team minutes.

Auriaprottu repped this.