What is game tactics?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by sidefootsitter, Mar 21, 2013.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    http://www.soccertranslator.com/2012/12/scouting-analysis-of-opposition-by.html

I had posted this on the "Klinsmann" thread a month or so ago. To some, much of it is too dry; to others, a familiar territory but, with the recent opinions about Klinsmann's tactical abilities - or disabilities - I thought it'd be a good idea to bring this summary of PSG's preparations for the Dynamo Kiev tie out of mothballs.

This also addresses a somewhat related thread on other boards whether coaching matters or not.

A summary for those too lazy/busy to read it.

A basic breakout of the opponent.

Part 1 :

First Phase:

The opponent without the ball - defensive positioning, reaction to movement, etc.

Second phase :

The opponent with the ball - who begins the possession, the direction of the ball movement, etc.

Part 2

Midfield -

First phase :

The midfield without the ball - pressure, rotation, placement, etc.

Second phase :

Midfield with the ball - build up, passing sequences, the sources of dribbling vs. passing, movement, technical ability.

Part 3

The attack/forwards.

Not much attention to the work without the ball here - emphasis on the unit's pace, skill, movement, dribbling.

Part 4

The Overall Team Analysis : the opponent's physical condition, athleticism, skill level, work rate, style, preferred mode of attack and defense

Part 5

Phase One

Tactical game directives (this refers to PSG vs. Dynamo Kiev) for own defense :

When the opponent has the ball, PSG has to - pressure the GK from easy clearances, control fullbacks with both wingers, pressure the centerbacks, doubling up on fullbacks in the offensive (?) zone, to maintain compact scheme in midfield, to hold a tight backline, play diagonal passes when breaking out of own zone.

Phase Two

The game directives for the attack : have centerbacks available for an outlet, have fullbacks hold the higher position visavis an own line, have wingers stay up wide.

Phase Three

Own ball advancement - quick passing in defense, diagonal out of it, places where the attack should concentrate on, emphasis on transition.

I recommend reading the full piece in detail and watch the linked 20 min highlight reel of the match to see how little Carlo Ancelotti leaves to chance.

2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good find and post love reading stuff like this. I have a bench of training stuff that barca, Celtic and forget the last team do. I can see if I can find it in my email if any are interested in it.

3. DearGodNotBornstein

Aug 16, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am. I coach and would be interested in seeing it.

4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I just looked it up and it's a crap load of PDF's. it's barca, Celtic, juve and training sessions my brother created himself. Idk how to post PDF's on here tho.

5. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    You can upload em to Google Docs/Drive http://google.com/drive and set visibility to public, post the URLs on here.

6. DearGodNotBornstein

Aug 16, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you'd care to, you could also PM me. You can upload files that way.

7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will try that
    If it fails pm me your email and I can forward them that way if your really interested

8. KickersFTW

KickersFTW Member+

Jan 12, 2012
    RVA (Soccer hotbed)
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any one have JK's email?;)

Suyuntuy, USAMEX10 and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  9. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
  10. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I've seen Sunil's floating around. Maybe he'll forward it to him for us.

11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sending now although as I told deargodnotborstein I won't be including my brothers training sessions. Not mine to share and he only coaches division 2 soccer so you far more likely to learn something from the other pdf's

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  12. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    whaddeva ya got is great. Much thanks.

13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea I hope it helps you. It's a lot to read and very interesting. It's barca, juve, Real Madrid, Celtic and some others

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I still think that telling the players to just follow The Force is a ton better.

TroyandAbed repped this.
  15. DearGodNotBornstein

Aug 16, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I tried that ( thought it sounded similar to Klinsman's approach), but my players improved more when I actually had them practice.