What if you could train with the Gunners?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by goonsquad, Feb 1, 2007.

1. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I've been on a big health kick lately (dropped 20 lbs!), and playing football has been a big part of that. So I got to thinking of how amazing it would be to be involved in a training session with the squad. Could you imagine how knackered any of us would be after that? I'd most likely be bent over puking after an hour! It would be great if Arsenal had some sort of contest where the winner would get to train with the reserves for a day. The first team would be insane, but I'd wager that Wenger would never allow that, hypothetical "contest " or not. I think I remember something like this happening at a lower division club sometime. And there was that Barnet fan that got to sub on for 5 mins against us in preseason. Anway, just food for thought.

2. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    If I could they wouldn't miss so many chances;)

3. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah I was at that Barnet game where the guy came on. If I trained with Arsenal I would throw up after about 30 seconds of training.

4. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How'd he do? Did he even get a touch?

5. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    anyone got any idea what sort of stuff they do?

i would get owned and be done after like 2 minutes. I'm in decent shape, but can't run to save my life. put me in a pool and I'll swim for hours, but make me run for 10 minutes and i'll keel over an die after 5

6. shincan

shincan Member

Sep 19, 2005
    I am losing weight just considering the notion.....

But it would be fun to be on the pitch simply to feel the pace and strength right there---humbling from 20 yards away in the stands, imagine it right there.

7. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel cooler and way more physically fit just putting on my Arsenal training shirt and shorts.......even if I am just sitting on the couch! :D

I am not sure I would be able to breathe much less run on the pitch being so close to the players....imagine just doing some passing drills or the like with Henry next to you.....or Cesc or whoever-star struck would not begin to cover it!

8. Gooner_for_Life

Oct 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides the fact that i am not even close to their fitness level i would love it. It would be a great time. I got to play with our college team a couple of times during their "unofficial" practices and it was blast.

9. jatm516

jatm516 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Hope, Arkansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hell ya! I second that! I got a leg cramp just watching the Spurs match yesterday. LOL Of course it reminds me of that quality scene in Fever Pitch:

10. billyho96

billyho96 Member

Aug 16, 2003
    Arkansas
    I played a pick up basketball game with an NFL player (no one famous, returned kickoffs for the Cleveland Browns right after they were a new expansion team), not even an NBA player. It was an awful experience. It was like he didn't have to take steps, he just flew.

11. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, ive trained with some very very fit sides, so i think for the most part in terms of overall fitness i would be far from the worst at an Arsenal training session, but its the skill levels that would bring me down.

I have a lethal right foot, and thats about it. Rubbish on the left and not good at all with my head. Only in Indoor Soccer is my left useful, and thats because of the small pitch area.

Although id dare say im better with my Left then RVP is with his right... (thinks back to the big swing Robin had against Bolton...)

12. akofman12345

akofman12345 New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    San Jose
    and which sides would those be?