What if the University of Texas Bought Austin?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by roversawh7, Nov 9, 2016.

1. roversawh7

roversawh7 Member

Feb 7, 2014
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if UT-Austin bought Austin's USL team? Instead of running it like BYU's PDL team, what if they ran it like some other universities around the world ran their sports/football clubs as just full professional teams with players not being students? Examples include Pumas, Tigres, Universidad Catolica, and UCAM Murcia. I am putting this in this forum because it's not really USL specific, but more of a case of a team with issues being located in the same city as a major university.

Legally speaking, would the club have to exist separately as an entity from the university to get around laws? Would having a USL team called the Texas Longhorns hurt or help their local fanbase? Could enough revenue be made to cover the costs within a reasonable amount (with the difference essentially being advertising costs for the university), especially with facilities presumably already in place? Assuming they broadcast games on Longhorn Network, how would that be dealt with financially? Would the general public accept or not accept such an arrangement since it is so different from what we are used to in this country?

This idea is admittedly quite out there, but it leads to some other fun hypotheticals. How about other possible USL-College pairings like Atlanta United branding a USL affiliate as the Georgia Bulldogs or FC Dallas partnering with TCU? It also makes me wonder what could have been if University of Phoenix had opted to buy a team for advertising purposes when teams were cheaper and that type of school was in more favor.

In other adaptations of club models from other countries, I wonder how much outrage there would be if a local government decided to copy the format of current Turkish league leaders Istanbul Basaksehir and basically fund a team with tax dollars that pretty much has no fans other than municipal employees who did not have existing team allegiances (which in Turkey is a very small number).

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think schools would want to eliminate their NCAA teams for the sake of replacing them with USL teams. USL teams play during the summer when schools are closed or only have summer classes. I also don't know if the NCAA would allow schools to operate professional teams.

3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On paper the idea is sound, specifically in that there is already a built in fan base and color scheme to market and sell to in order to grow a Men's lower tier soccer program. However, the Athletic Department at UT would probably want their cut and at the least find a way to have their say in running the program if their colors and brand are being used. To this end, then one must find a way to have them be interested but let a third party grow the soccer side of the business to get things correct.

4. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Title 9 is probably an obstacle.

Can't even look like they are trying to fund a team that skirts those laws.

5. RedGK

RedGK Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Tennessee
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get it

6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are PDL teams professional?

On the original question, one rule you will run into is the NCAA D-I rule that only five players from the same NCAA team can play on the same summer-league team. You won't be able to use the same squad for the college season and summer. And why would other players want to say, "I play for college X for the NCAA season and for college Y for the summer season?"

8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know PDL teams aren't professional, but the first question of the topic asks about Austin's USL club, and I thought that referred to a USL club that wasn't a USL PDL club.

9. roversawh7

roversawh7 Member

Feb 7, 2014
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I was referring to an actual pro USL club and not a PDL club. Obviously we already know what would happen if a school owned a PDL club.

Do you think that the NCAA would care or have jurisdiction on this matter? I admit that I haven't read all their bylaws, but I doubt this sort of thing would be covered. I specifically chose a school that has no men's soccer team. If it were widely successful, I could see other people taking notice, but if it just broke even or was approximately advertising cost, it might not be a big deal. Austin is a unique case because it's bigger than many other college communities and the existing USL club can't field a team right now.