What if the South won the Civil War, who would be better in soccer ...

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SankaCofie, Apr 18, 2003.

1. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    What if the South won the Civil War, who would be better in soccer -- the Union or the Confederacy?

personally i think the Union would be better because fewer northerners would have migrated south, meaning that the immigrant communites would all remain in the north.

2. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    If the South won, I don't think many people would be concerned about soccer.

3. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    More silliness.

4. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey! This thread again.

Actually if the South had won, they may have been able to establish the "Latin Empire" they wanted, so they'd have all those Mexican, Central American, and Carribean players to draw from as well. Assuming they weren't like South Africa used to be.

5. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is one of the things that make the loss of the old threads so disheartening. I bet I could pull up three or four older versions. It might be cool to see if we arrived at different conclusions over the years.

6. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Donovan will be in NASCAR.

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Because Southern California was part of the south?? Even though the south ended at the Texas border?

8. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, because there are only 3 logical conclusions to make from the south winning the Civil War.

1) Any other states that wished to leave the US would feel empowered to do so.
    2) The South would be widely different from state to state in laws and regulations.
    3) Nascar would be really huge with soccer players in California.

9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    y'know what's really interesting? think of how strong the austrians would be right now if world war I had gone the other way! yugoslavians, croatians, romanians, et. al. - all playing for the red, white, and red! and you can be damn sure that they would have taken a big chunk of northern italy at the peace conference following the war. three world cups for that withered italian state? i think not! the 'magnificent magyars' of the 50's? they'd have been the 'awesome austrians'!

who'd have thought that von kluck's turn toward paris and the german halt at the battle of the marne would eventually have such a dramatic affect on the state of the world?!!

and, wait! what if the roman empire had never collapsed??!!! talk about a dominant footy power...

10. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And would Austria-Hungary have played together, or separately? I can't remember offhand what they did in the pre-World War I era. The Byzantine Empire would have had a good team, if we're counting the territory under its control at its peak.

11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    what about colonies? do they count as part of a country? Hey the sun never set on the British Empire

12. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    this is an excellent point. how can we be certain that a people who demanded their own parliament wouldn't also demand their own footy side? conversely, however, if the hungarians would recognize the austrian emperor as their king, who's to say they wouldn't line up behind austria's gaffer, as well?

resolution on this will prove difficult.

13. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    please.
    the home countries won't even play together now.
    the british would likely want seperate sides (and FAs) for every colony, so that each would have a pending vote, and thereby entirely control FIFA.

14. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    I would say the Mongols, but they never controlled UEFA. So, Roman Empire it is.

France and the Netherlands have done respectably with their colonies though.

15. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    indeed, the empire would be odds-on favorites to take the cup every time around.

however, we must consider that when armenius defeated varus and his legions at the battle of teutoberg forest in 9 a.d., he was, at the most fundamental level securing the future of the DFB. so while rome would have enjoyed the talents of every italian, spaniard, frog, southslav, and much more, in the 70s; they still would have had to go up against a german side featuring beckenbauer, mueller, et.al.. it's not unreasonable, also, to assume that this side might also include some nordic stock that went on to become dutch - namely, cruyff, krol, and that lot.

the latin powerhouse would surely have faced some stiff germanic opposition in the 70s.

for what it's worth, my first post here was designed to gently mock the silliness of this thread. it is now clear that i have become the worst offender.
    i now shamefully withdraw.

16. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Ottomon Empire would've given the Holy Roman Empire a run for it's money in it's heyday, and what if Napoleon wouldn't have been out-thunk at Waterloo? Would we have seen a French team full of Africans, Eastern Europeans, and other colonies?...oh wait...

17. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Landon Donovan could definately out-hunk Napolean.

Oh, wait. You said 'thunk'.

18. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    the mongols would have a massive talent pool from which to draw players.

19. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

Well the Blackburn chant of "Friedel for England" would be more than a pipe dream.

20. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I would say that the Roman Empire would be the greatest Soccer Empire. All of the European continent (but not russia), and Northern Africa. Unless you somehow controlled England, Brazil, Argentina, and the rest of Africa no way you could defeat that one.

Here's a runner up for ya. Before the Spanish Armada (late 1500s I think), Spain controlled Portugal AND Netherlands. Thats a pretty good pool of talent there

21. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    the incan empire could field a pretty good team, northern ecuador to southern chile and peru and bolivia.

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Nor Germany.

23. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I like where you're going with this.

24. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Yeah, but looking at which countries we're talking about. They'd probably just end up with a mostly Russian side.

25. Turk from Pigs Eye

Turk from Pigs Eye New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Pigs Eye (St. Paul),
    Back to the original question- I think the North would be better because they would let African-Americans play. All the South would have would be Josh Wolff, Clint Mathis, Agoos. Or would the South have been permitted all-slave teams? That would be cool. The coach could whip them right on the sidelines.