What if the EPL was set up like MLS or Major American sports?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DCUdiplomat96, Dec 27, 2008.

1. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if the EPL was set up like Major league soccer?

North Division
    1. Manchester United 2. Manchester City 3. Liverpool 4. Newcastle United 5. Sunderland 6. Middlesboro 7. Everton 8. Blackburn 9. Bolton 10. Wigan Athletic

South Division
    1. Arsenal 2. Spurs 3. Chelsea 4. West Ham United 5. Fulham 6.Portsmouth 7.West Brom 8. Hull City 9.Ashton Villa 10. Stoke City.

Each team still play each other home and home and have all the Euro spots play for in the playoffs. 5 teams from each division can playoff for euro spots and the league title.

Top Division winners get bye. 4placein one division vs 5place in the other and vice versa. Winner plays Division winners OR Give Division winner a Double by by having the 2 seed play the 5 seed and 3 play 4 from each division, winner of 2/5 and ¾ will play each other and the winner of that will play Divison winners in the semi Finals ans semi winners will play in the Final.

Championship Final –(2) both finalist get group stage Champions League.
    SemiFinal Losers-(2) get Champs League prelim
    QuaterFinal loser-(2) Uefa Europa spots
    2 remaining go home try next time.

What about relegation? Good question.

The 9th and 10 placers in each Division will sent to the relegation promotion Challenge.
    The 9/10 from the north Divion will play the 9/10 from the South and thw loser will play the top two Champioship spots. Winner either stay on the league or championship team will get promoted.

Just a thought……

2. narko

narko New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    North Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You create threads like this every couple of weeks I think.

The answer is simply no.

It wouldn't be as popular as it is if it was played in a format similar to what you've posted.

3. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I likt this set up because it allows Most teams to try to earn a playoffs spot to try a earn a euro spot and the league title... the current formatt doesnt really do that.. the man Citys the newcastles and such wont really get a chances to play for the title because they are too far behind the standings..... Also the Single table format doesnt deliver true competitiveness like MLS does....There is nothing to play for after finishing the regular season, even with the Champions league you play that til the next season...... plus the last post i did related to this I was trying to prove that the top Premier league teams like ManU and Chelseas or Liverpool wouldn do so well in a playoff type format.

4. WarriorDome

WarriorDome Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 27, 2008
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way...

Do you think the English would want to change their system thats worked for a long time...no

5. The Artist

The Artist Member+

Mar 22, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course the English wouldn't want to change the system they've grown used to. No one does. Had they started out with a system like this, however, they'd love it. If they changed to a system like this they'd learn to love it. Not because the MLS system is better, but because all reasonable sporting formats have their good and bad points and fans learn to value what is good. American fans have learned to value the playoffs as a true test of a team's quality. Euro fans call the playoffs a cup competition that is practically random. Euro fans value the long grind of a championship season. American fans point out that it just means the team with the most money can buy the most depth and feast on the weaklings in order to win a championship that gets decided three weeks before the season actually ends. Neither one is clearly superior. They each meet different needs.

I, however, would find the EPL much more interesting with playoffs. Last year's FA Cup and this year's Hull City are about the only interesting things to happen in the EPL (though the soccer itself, of course, is excellent).

6. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I saw this thread title, I thought it would be about salary caps and revenue sharing. I think that would be a more interesting question than one about divisions and playoffs.

7. Gandalf The Red

Gandalf The Red BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 23, 2006
    complete bollox many an epl season goes to the last game or two, and we are not changing for you plastics:cool:

8. Gandalf The Red

Sep 23, 2006

38 games then another 6 or so afterwards?

stop smoking crack our season goes from early august to mid may, and we have a better play off trophy then any of your sports have its called the FA CUP and it ends our season and over 700 teams enter.

stop dreaming of americanising our league it will never happen.

EPIC FAIL

9. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically who says you have to stretch the season, the season is too long as it is. Plus the so called "traditional" format gets boring anyway

10. Gandalf The Red

Sep 23, 2006
    most of your "finals" turn into blowout's and are no where near as exciting as two epl teams playing for the title on the final day against different teams.

11. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sure whatever bruh If you say so lololol:confused:

12. Gandalf The Red

Sep 23, 2006
    i do say now stick to yer mickey mouse sports.

13. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    I don't see the point in this thread. The only things that could benefit English football from America would be spending limits and revenue sharing.

Playoffs would be a joke, a team could win the league just by finishing mid-table and having a few good games, even though they've been average all season. It would completely devalue the championship.

P.S the starter of this thread also likes the ESPN sportscentre breaks they have during MLS games, that just about sums up his attitude to football.

14. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    To whom? Premier League crowds were a record last season.

15. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeah? and the elague is just as exciting when maybe one or two teams have ran the table by half way thru the season where the remaining teams are irrelivent, cause they have no shot at a title. Boooooooooring.

16. MNAFETSC

MNAFETSC Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Blacksburg
    I don't know, I've always felt ten months was too long as well. Baseballs my favorite sport and the season is only seven months and even then near the end Im kind of burnt out from the season (I'm guessing that 99% of the games I watch have the Orioles playing may have something to do with that as well). I guess thats why Ive always liked the split season format, it takes half the time to crown a champion.

17. Midnight Attack

Mar 13, 2005
    U.S.A|Jamaica|DCU
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boring.

18. MNAFETSC

MNAFETSC Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Blacksburg
    Seriously the FA Cup goes directly against the argument that the playoffs are random theory. How long did it take a team outside the big 4 to win it? 12 years? Yes definitely boring.

19. The Artist

The Artist Member+

Mar 22, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A: I'm certainly not asking the EPL to change. They have a long tradition of single table competition and it has served them well and seems quite popular. There probably would be a lot of angry fans if they did change it. I support MLS because they are my local league, not because of their playoff system or anything else so I'm not sure how supporting my domestic league makes me a "plastic."

B: 92-93 ManU by ten points
    93-94 ManU by 8 points
    94-95 Blackburn by 1 (last day title via loss)
    95-96 ManU by 4 (decided last day)
    96-97 ManU by 7
    97-98 Arsenal by 1
    98-99 ManU by 1
    99-00 ManU by 18
    00-01 ManU by 10
    01-02 Arsenal by 7
    02-03 ManU by 5 (next to last)
    03-04 Arsenal by 11
    04-05 Chelsea by 12
    05-06 Chelsea by 8
    06-07 ManU by 6 (third to last)
    07-08 ManU by 2 (last day)

As far as I can tell only 5 EPL seasons have been decided the last day and one of those was decided with Blackburn winning the championship despite losing their final game. A couple more were decided the next to last day. And until last year you had eight straight years of rather dull finishes. And, of course, no EPL season has ended with the top two teams playing head to head. Does any of that matter? Not really, but it is a fact that the last two weeks of the EPL season are as likely to be meaningless as meaningful (at the top, at least). In MLS the championship is always decided on the last day, for better or worse.

C: IF the EPL had playoffs they would be the most exciting month of soccer outside the world cup. The rest of the season would suffer and many traditionalists would write angry letters but they would be exciting. The FA Cup is not a playoff. I don't really care if the EPL changes or not, (I also don't really care if MLS changes to single table or not), people will get used to any format.

20. eejit

eejit Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Whilst you probably have a good technical argument in terms of producing a competitve format that the TV companies would love, the thing working against you is 150-odd years of history.

Many fans have already become disillusioned with the game due to what they perceive as a cynical over commercialization. To radically change the format to an Americanized version would be unthinkable.

Also the people with the power are already making good money from the current format where their teams are almost guarenteed a top spot each year. Why would they want to jeopodize that by switching to a format which would be a break with tradition and potentially turn-off huge numbers of fans?

21. eejit

eejit Member

Jun 10, 2004
    No but the old division 1 (using the same single table format) was in the 1980's with Liverpool vs Arsenal at Anfield.

Arsenal needed to win by 2 clear goals and with injury time nearly up and the score at 0-1 it was still Liverpools title. .

With literally the last kick of the season (all other matches had been played at the weekend and this was a rearranged fixture due to a weather cancellation earlier in the season) Michael Thomas scored to make the score 0-2 and the championship changed hands.

Come to think of it this will never be equalled so we may as well change the format anyway ;) (ps I am not an Arsenal fan either).

22. Gandalf The Red

Sep 23, 2006
    mickey mouse sports = boring.

GETSOME!:cool:

23. Gandalf The Red

Sep 23, 2006
    Why do you care?

it's not like any are your team

24. Gandalf The Red

Sep 23, 2006
    Once again load o bollix most of your mls finals are let downs just like fa cup finals because one team usually fails to bring it or both teams are so cautious because they have so much to lose.

Secondly there is always something to play for virtually everyones team in the epl and if you were a real english football fan you would know that.
    1.The Title
    2.Not having to Qualify for the championsleague (ask everton they lost out on 10 million pounds+)
    3.Making the Top 4
    4.Getting into uefa
    5.not getting drawn into the relegation battle
    6.The relegation battle
    7.FA Cup Final
    8.Involved in Championsleague & Uefa

My team liverpool has been out of the title race the by this time since 2000 but there was always to drive towards from the above list.

The whole reason playoff's are in american sports is you have only 1 real goal, sure they give teams conference titles but they dont really mean sh*t

MLS is stuck between a rock and a hard place, you have adopted play off's simply because its an american tradition, your play off crowds are usually poorer then your regular season crowds(excuse Houston), yet you have Superliga, Champs League, and US open Cup.

And let me tell you about the US open cup, its the biggest missed oportunity EVER in American soccer IT could be true piece of american History if the mls stopped mincing with the Mexicans and got the USSF to open it up to the NCAA, imagine WADE taking on Houston infront of a college crowd?

The only thing I want from american sports inmy country is a spending cap & TV revenue sharing down the middle.

25. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    So boring that people don't bother watching it any more? By the way, Firefox comes with a spell checker nowadays, underlying your mistakes with red dots.