What if St. Louis was a country: What would our national team look like?

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by SilentAssassin, Jun 18, 2010.

1. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    So I was thinking about how Slovenia is about the same size as St. Louis. What if St. Louis had its own national team? What would it look like? You can answer either with all actual soccer players or what if soccer was the main sport here, as it is in Slovenia, which other prominent St. Louis athletes could have been great soccer players. Players who only played for SLU in college don't count, because they wouldn't be St. Louis citizens, so to speak. So no Brian McBride.

I can't come up with a whole team, but I can think of the following players for my starters:

Keeper:
    Larry Hughes-Great size, athleticism, long arms, very quick hands, if he had been a keeper I think he would have been amazing. His shot selection is his biggest weakness in basketball, but as a keeper that wouldn't be a problem.

Defense:
    Frank Simek
    Tim Ream
    Chris Klein
    Justin Tatum-Maybe David Lee instead, but he might be a little too tall to be an effective soccer player.

Midfield:
    Steve Ralston
    Brad Davis
    Pat Noonan
    Jeremy Maclin-obviously extremely fast and a good open-field runner.

Forwards:
    Taylor Twellman
    Vedad Ibisevic (borderline St. Louis citizen)

Laurence Maroney would have to cut some weight, but he probably could have been good. Kerry Robinson could play outside back. I'm having trouble thinking of other pro athletes from St. Louis who would be good soccer players. Ryan Howard is definitely too big. Max Scherzer I have no idea whether he is an athlete or just a pitcher. There are probably a lot of guys who were too small to make it to the top in football or basketball, but would have been great soccer players.

Who would be on your team?
    How would our team compare to Slovenia?

2. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but Pat McBride (Brian's dad) grew up in St.Louis and went to college here, so perhaps Brian would have grown up here too. Pat would have played for the St.Louis national team, so Brian probably would have wanted to play for the same nation then his father, assuming his father wouldn't have moved to Chicago.
    Also, looking at today (real world) what sport do we produce the most professional athletes in? I would think it's still soccer followed by basketball and football and a few baseball. Well I think if St.Louis were it's own nation, then based on the athletes produced then maybe there would be no professional baseball or football so therefore soccer would be our major sport and therefore it's safe to assume that more kids would play soccer which would make it even more competitive thus producing better soccer players. I'm done. Time to drink more!

3. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Pat is Brian's dad.

4. kirktrobot

kirktrobot New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    St. Louis
    He isn't. Although Pat does have a son named Brian. Pat was my 1st grade baseball coach, believe it or not.

5. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well then this website is wrong: http://www.wordiq.com/definition/North_American_Soccer_League
    Current Professionals with parents in the NASL

6. kirktrobot

kirktrobot New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    St. Louis
    It's wrong. Trust me. I went to school with the "real" Brian McBride (Pat's son). It's not USA international McBride. I even have a picture of him in an old school yearbook.

7. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's cool. I had heard that in the past and then looked it up and that's what I came up with. My bad. Game on.

8. kirktrobot

kirktrobot New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    St. Louis
    I thought the same thing when McBride was first getting popular. I said, wait a minute, I went to school with him and played baseball with him. But the McBride's moved out of our area after a year or two, so I didn't remember much about him. So I got my grade school yearbook out and realized it wasn't him. So, I don't know a famous footballer. But, my ex-wife's cousin knew him pretty well at SLU. That's as close as I got :rolleyes: