What if Europeans never colonized the world?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by DynamoKiev_USA, Jul 6, 2005.

1. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    This is a spin-off from another thread, where a fantastic hypothetical was raised by argentine soccer fan.

I think the answer would be that the civilization of the European continent would've collapsed due to overpopulation and a lack of resources, and the regions of Africa and America would have remained largely dependent on substistence agriculture and hunting.

Almost surely none of the technological advances of the last 200 years would have occurred.

Thoughts?
    Was colonialism morally wrong? Was it necessary to ensure Europe's survival?
    Would Africa/colonized Asia/America have been better off economically and culturally without coming under European rule?

2. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In your hypothetical, do Europeans visit other lands to share products and wisdom in peaceful engagement, or is Europe colonial in mindset but just not in practice?

3. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I think Africa would be 1/2 the mess it is had the europeans not been busy colonising it, or at least, taken time to divy it up and set it free. There would be a lot more, smaller countries. But their governemnts would likely be more responsive than they have been. It doesn't mean it would be paradise. But given how poor off many of these countries have been due to civil war, you'd have to think they at least wouldn't be dirt poor because it's likely there would've been a lot less conflict. And it doesn't mean that dictators don't rise up and mess things up, just seems less likely.

4. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    If someone could expand on this one I'd be grateful.

5. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn

Does the European population even begin to expand to the extent of overpopulation without the introduction of New World crops (potatoes, tomatoes, corn)?

6. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    Feel free to entertain both possibilities -- of course the "share products and wisdom in peaceful engagement" scenario is going *really* too far into the utopian realm.

7. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    I don't see the overpopulation thing myself either. It's not as if huge hoardes of them left to go to that many places - ok plenty did but not as an overall percentage. Certainly not to the point where them not going would result in an overcrowding problem.

8. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    I could be wrong about this, but I don't believe Europe had nearly enough resources within its own continents to industrialize without the use of its colonies -- not to mention the enormous amount of resources an industrialized nation continues to consume 'til this day.

9. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    At least 500,000,000 people are direct descendants of Europeans today in the Americas.

10. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Now that's just a sad statement. It basically asks if one culture can come in contact with another without trying to kill them. "No" is a utopian answer.

11. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, to raise the spirits of everyone, could you provide a list of examples of such contacts thru the years?

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Well, it is an answer that is consistent with historical context.

13. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we talking about post-Columbus Europe, the Germanic tribes, or the Celts?

14. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    The Industrial Revolution occurred in this country thanks to plenty of natural resources - coal, iron etc. As large as the British Empire became, there was no utter reliance on importing those raw materials.
    Sure there was trade (cotton etc) but essentially to get the ball running, the continent could have existed and produced a decent amount of industry etc.

Which is kind of why I was confused by the sentence.

One could argue that indeed without the colonialist expansion of Europeans we would never have had the large competing Empires that had created a strife torn Europe for several centuries. This strife torn Europe dissolved into WW1 on the basis of foreign Empires (Germany not having one mainly), the result of WW1 was to help Hitler into power. Often wartime is the time when many inventions and technological advances are made. Were it not for WW2, would the jet engine have been developed? The computer? radar? So, the ambiguity of the question/sentence means there are all sorts of answers as to how Europeans not going abroad and stealing other peopes countries, would have resulted in a diminished level of technology in the continent.

15. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    But as someone alluded to - people simply don't keep multiplying. Popluation is in some way, like water - it tends to fill the space available.
    And we've had a few plagues to keep the numbers down anyway.

16. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    There'd be no 'eurosnobs' that don't come to MLS games.

17. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Much unlike the topic itself. It's a "whatif". And dismissing out of hand the notion that were it not for Imperialism, folks would not have been so ready to kill each other, while certainly not an unreasonable assertion is quite sad.

18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Yes but they are the descendants of about 250,000 colonists, aren't they?

19. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, my "what if" is premised more on "Well, what if Europeans had been unable to colonize the west due to lack of gunpowder of navigation skills or better fighting capacity of the natives..." rather than on "What if Europeans had been genetically engineered to be a whole new breed of human that will sit around campfires exchanging wisdoms with foreign peoples".

20. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I don't think it was Imperialism that lead folks to kill one another and take their land. It's how we're wired.

I'm not saying it's not sad. It is. It's part of being a member of the species homo homo sapiens.

:(

21. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Of course it was. How silly of me to think otherwise -- my mistake. Enjoy.

22. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Is it safe to assume that Japan would remain isolationist, that China would not experience a new colonial urge, that no new African empire would have arisen? I don't really believe Islamic culture would have avoided decay in the absence of European imperialism, but I could be convinced... what would have happened if India were left to its own or its neighbors' devices?

It is fun to speculate on encounters between Japanese colonial forces and plains Indians; would they have understood each other better than they did Americans?

England certainly had the wherewithal to start an industrial revolution without the things it got from its early colonies-- tobacco, cotton, rum, furs-- and the steam engine appeared at about the time colonization was getting into full swing; but the British economy was goosed by gold "acquired" as a consequence of Spain's empire...

23. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Are you wired that way? How many people's land have you taken? I'm not wired that way. Never so much as stabbed someone for an iPod, never mind advocating @#$%ing genocide. I'll go get checked out for mutant blood, 'cause I've obviously evolved beyond human. Then I'll try turning my sneakers into Heineken bottles.

24. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    :confused:

No need to be snippy, feel free to take the discussion in whatever direction you like, I was thinking more of a history question than a human psychology question when I started the thread -- but I find both sides of this interesting. So emm do share your thoughts and sorry to offend and all that :confused: :)

25. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    Freddy Adu would really be the 23 year old he actually is ?