What have you forgotten to bring?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by voiceoflg, Jun 8, 2021.

1. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    I have forgotten my shoes twice. First time was my very first HS game in my 2nd year of reffing. Very excited and very nervous and got there super early (straight from work). And no damn shoes. Got a bit panicky as I am a long way from home and don't really know the (rural) area. But I found a sporting goods store a few miles away and bought some new ones. Not a horrible situation, but not what you want before a big life first.

Next time about 8 yrs later and I am a cool veteran going to a MS solo game. And no damn shoes. Game in 20 minutes. No way was I going to ref in work boots, so I decided to do it barefoot. I go walking out on the field and the visiting coach (who was a former assistant coach of mine) bursts out laughing and wants to know what the heck I am doing. She just happens to have a spare pair of size 10 cleats handy and crisis averted. Or at least some possible toes and much embarrassment.

dadman and Law5 repped this.
  2. JeffG

JeffG Member

Mar 9, 2005
    MN, USA
    Socks!
    Shoes, for me, also, in a Mens league. It's in an unfamiliar area, so got there a good 45 minutes early. My ARs show up 15 minutes later and one has an extra pair that doesn't quite fit, but beggars can't be choosers, right? I do the first half in them and my feet are killing me, so I do the second half in my Tevas. Now I have a second set of blisters! Drive home barefoot, and within 1/4 mile pass a Target and a DSW.

dadman and IASocFan repped this.