What have you done for me lately? (BA on WC chances)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by lmorin, Dec 13, 2005.

1. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ralston is the focus of this article, but the general comments apply to everyone contesting for positions.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/13/sports/soccer/13soccer.html
    From BA:

2. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA

That's what things go. There are quite a few players that can play against CONCACAF competition, but can't hack it against the teams in our WC group.

So really, what's new about that?

3. st ryma 7

st ryma 7 Member

Dec 23, 2004
    the south bay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i really hope ralston doesnt go

4. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    I wouldn't hope against Ralston making it. Who knows. Maybe he's playing out of his mind right before the WC and deserves to go. I guess we just have to see how things shape up.

I hope the same applies to some other vets like Pope. Pope has always been a fav of mine, but his recent form hasn't been to great. We'll see how some of the vets are playing around WC time.

5. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    ralston just lacks the athletic and physical abilities to keep up with some of the physical specimens we're going to go up against.

When its all said and done the "bubble" players that make the squad will be better athletes than the ones who dont make the team, even though the ones that wont make it might have better "soccer brains"

6. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    Pope has been really banged up the past 2 years, hopefully he can recover. You could never have too much experience in the back, especially the center of defense

7. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Arena knows the difference between a guy who can play in CONCACAF WCQs and a guy who can play in the WC. Richie Williams and Jovan Kirovski were in virtually every 18-man gameday squad in the qualifying phase for Korea, yet neither made the eventual 23-man roster (in Williams' case, even with the injury to Armas). Armas and Ralston are those guys this time around. They won't be on the team unless we have a ton of injuries.

8. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Well it is a true statement. Your only as good as your last game players should know that.

Actually in my oppionion Bruce is too loyal to his past players. Look at Agoss in 2002 he was past it at this level at that WC. Brue kept him in that was a mistake. I hate to say this but Agoss getting hurt did not hurt us in that WC. It may have even helped us.

I wonder if he takes Pope will he run with him too long if he is not up to the task? My guess is that he will again.

9. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Memphis, Tn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think that the area this most affects is players dealing with injuries- specifically who has "proven" themselves.

thats why some (including myself) dont see gibbs as a lock starter- i never saw him as fully entrenched in that spot, and now hes missed a load of time. or job for example- even if he doesnt reach fitness until the day the plane leaves hes in.

what about guys who miss time and CANT "do for me lately"? thats the interesting thing for me. i think that will decide more spots than a tino being "hotter" than a ralston come march...

10. st ryma 7

st ryma 7 Member

Dec 23, 2004
    the south bay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hopefully by march ralston isnt even on our minds

11. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I'd count Ralston out because of his less than solid play this last year. Early in the 05 MLS season he had a Pneumonia that laid him up for a month and he lost 10-15 pounds and never really regain his full strength over the season. The only way he was going to do that was get a good rest. I'm not saying he ever was a USMNT WC level winger but I am saying don't judge his potential for the 06 roster by his play in 05. He will get his chances this spring to show if he belongs. My guess he will just make the cut---because he's mature, a smart soccer brain, can play a variety of positions and has shown he can up his game when the chips are down.

12. strawberryfields

strawberryfields Red Card

Dec 13, 2005
    Oak bluff way.
    He was promoting the new nike ball lately, he'll probably go...

13. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of Arena's career he has had success by dumping the old guys in favor of the new, improved models.

Not in the middle of the year, eg, WC qualifying, but at the beginning of the year.

Does anyone think Arena won't be influenced by the success of Donovan and Beasely in '02?

Just my guess but: If any young guys emerge and look like they have a bigger upside than Ralson (Quaranta or Adu or Clark) and Pope (Marshall), all other things being equal, BA will go with the young guys.

14. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right midfield is one of the positions where we're lacking a definitive first choice ... that being said, if someone can step up and make that position their own, be it Quaranta, West, or someone else (which just emphasizes the point that we're lacking a solid RM), then I'm not opposed to Ralston as the backup. Every position will have a backup for the most part, but it's up to somebody to really step up.

In the worst case scenario, Donovan can play that position, but I think we'd all rather see him in the attacking mid role...

15. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You mean Adidas.

16. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    noonan and ralston were pushing the new ball...

fool espn annoucer thought they both were on the squad already...

noonan had the balls to correct him, saying he was still fighting for a roster spot

17. st ryma 7

st ryma 7 Member

Dec 23, 2004
    the south bay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was the adidas ball, and he is a horrible player, and just a huge flame job, no offense to anyone, thats not how i mean it, sort of

18. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    He might not be good enough for the WC but to call him horrible is ridiculous.