What has been your favourite thing about this season?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, May 7, 2007.

1. United Pumps

United Pumps New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    come from?
    7-1, 4-2, Chelsea losing the title, Barton getting chucked out of City, watching Ronaldo at work and the return of Ole.

2. The Guv'nor

The Guv'nor Member

Mar 24, 2006
    First game, signalled a return to our attacking football but with even more brilliance than before.

Putting together a streak of wins, including blowing Bolton away away, and Portsmouth at home.

The Roma home leg.

And finally this + the celebrations that followed. I love this because of the angle, you're seeing it as if you were there.

[youtube]PMtNRZn7_mw[/youtube]

3. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    All my favorite moments have involved John O'Shea:

1. the goal against Liverpool -- was it here on BS that someone was ranting in the pbp about how SAF had lost it by putting O'Shea on -- only to have to sheepishly apologize 2 posts later? (I may have imagined that.)

2. John O'Shea in goal

3. the 1st game against Arsenal where Lehmann comes out of his goal with a feral snarl on his face and grabs O'Shea, only to have John turn, give him an cheezy grin and walk away without a care. I loved that.

4. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being surprised.

Vidic, Carrick and Evra exceeded expectations. Ronaldo became (arguably) the best player in the world. Oshea went from being a player to bash to a cult hero . . . So many of our players stepped up exponentially more than I expected them to as individuals. And, our team worked together masterfully, pulling through an injury crisis in the last stages of competitions to achieve some of our greatest and most dominating performances of the season. Beautiful surprises.

5. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    There have been a lot. I will need to think about it a bit more. But three matches really stand out in my mind.

The first match against Liverpool. The 2-0 score did not reflect our total domination.

The second half of the Blackburn match was probably our finest 45 minutes in the Premiereship this season.

And of course, the 7-1 win over Roma. One of the finest displays of attacking football I have seen.

And I must add one particular match moment.... Gigg's infamous goal against Lille. I love quick thinking on the field.

6. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Seeing Ole back was one of the best moments of the season. I damn near cried when he hit the goal at Charlton. I really did. And he gave that bow to the crowd. That was just too much for me. He is one of my favorite United players since I started supporting.

edit: rep on the Ronaldo Fulham vid, guv. That's incredible. It's like Tony Montana said..

"A first class ticket to the resurrection".

7. holytoledo

holytoledo New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Forgot to add one of the more subtle things I saw/heard this year that summed up why I love this club... when Silvestre went down with his dislocated shoulder against Lille, and despite all the shit he seems to get from a lot of us who don't think he should be here anymore, the fans at OT sang "we love silvestre, we do" as he was being carted off. Almost brought me to tears. As much as he gets rided on, he has never given less than 100% for the club and he is fully fit to wear the shirt in my eyes.

8. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [youtube]HRO4YmdUklY[/youtube]

9. omar_mufc

omar_mufc Member

Oct 19, 2004
    the stepping up of the perennial "also-rans", who have been the butt of so many jokes in the past...
    fletcher has been fantastic whenever he's come in, but for that small period in feb-march.
    o'shea scored THAT goal, and rather comically, has scored more league goals than shevchenko!

10. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    We rediscovered the importance of scoring goals - not only to win matches but also to regain our reputation throughout the world as the most popular, entertaining (and hated :D ) EPL club. There is so much more attacking flair in the Ronaldo, Rooney, Scholes, Giggs and Carrick setup than in any other club I know and the team is a joy to watch for all but the most self-hating ABU :)

11. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    haha when the trophy vanishes out of terry's hands is brilliance.

12. barthez4

barthez4 Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Agree completely. He's more than willing to stay at the club despite getting very little playing time, and he always gives it everything for us. Rio, Vidic, everyone makes mistakes, but his seem to get blown up every time.

The obvious ones are the Roma match, O'Shea in his various crazy situations, Ronaldo rising to the top...

But one that hasn't been mentioned (at least I don't think it has) is Phil Neville's wondergoal.

13. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well I said it before, Silvestre is a capable LB! If he's staying, and it sure sounds like that, then I wouldn't have a problem seeing Heinze move on. Evra, O'Shea, Silvestre, and Evans can handle the spot.

But yeah, that was a great show of unity from our fans.

14. Twix

Twix New Member

Apr 28, 2007
    I love how so many of our players gave Player of the season performances. But my personal favourites are

1. Doing the double over Liversh*te...O'shea is a Legend!!

2. Roma 7-1 at home....every-one from our side could of walked off witha man of the match award...Fletcher's performance in that match was the best individual performance this season in my eyes...

3. Everton 4-2...That match got me off my feet and when i truly realised we had our trophy back!!

Honourable mentions..

I think some-one's said it but Phil neville's own goal...once a Red...always a Red...

Rooney doeing a little showboat to taunt everton fans...pure class...

Ronaldo's free kick in the charity match...great occasion...great goal

15. Greg_Ario

Greg_Ario New Member

May 11, 2007
    Indonesia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    vs Everton (A), I was so frustrated when Fernandes scored the 2nd goal. Unbelieveable, United bounced back & scored 4 goals!

too bad I missed the 7-1 win vs Roma..

16. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    C'mon, guys. Silvestre over Heinze, seriously?
    For what reasons? Because he rather sit on the bench and collect upwards of 40,000lbs a week, knowing that he'll probably not get a sniff at another big club? I don't understand.

The reasoning being that he gave 100% every match he has played? So did Heinze. I feel both Heinze and Brown deserve special credit for the way they took over our defence. Yeah, they scared the shit out of all of us, but they played a whatever it takes attitude and we remained successful. If Heinze is gone because he can go to another big club, then I'll be fair to him and his decisions, but based on ability and grit, I'd have to keep Heinze over Silvestre any day.

17. holytoledo

holytoledo New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    I'm not saying that at all. You're misreading my post. I'm just delighted that the crowd recognized Silvestre at that moment, which was probably one of the worst of his career here, getting carted off during an important CL game. I don't think he's MUQ, but I'm not going to slag a guy who would give anything to wear the shirt. Heinze is the same way. I'm not picking Silvestre over Heinze. I'm just recognizing the effort he has put in here and he deserves to be recognized for that. He deserves to pull on the shirt.

18. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I should have quoted. I didn't mean your post HT.

Moreso the post by sdotsom.....I think Silvestre has been a good servant to the club, but I feel his time has come. I'm not comfortable enough keeping him and whether or not Heinze goes or not, I don't think Silvestre should stay. There are a couple of kids who should take his spot, and Evra/Heinze/O'Shea can definitely cover LB.

19. holytoledo

holytoledo New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Fair enough. Sowwies. :eek: :D

20. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    With the way Heinze has been playing lately, I'd actually think more about keeping Silvestre here, and selling Heinze. I think he'd bring back more money.