what happened to the talent????

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by theodore, Nov 11, 2004.

1. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Can some one help me out. I am trying to keep track of the talent errosion on this team to give a fact based response to someone. It was my understanding that when Cerritos, Graziani, and Zarco were summarily dismissed, we were to be provided with some type of compensation. Wasn't it an allocation of some type? Maybe even Chad fell into that category.

How many draft picks were we cheated/tricked/ or cheaped out of? The #1 LA pick that vanished, Adu, and if memory serves me correctly there was another.

How many new allocations do we presently have unused? After the close of this year, aren't we sitting on an additional YSA, an unused YSA from last year, and weren't we supposed to get some type of compensation for being cheated out of Adu?

How many guys have we traded that are starting for other teams vs. guys we picked up in trades that have played meaningful and important minutes for us?

What have our bevy of draft picks given us over the last two years? How does this compare with other teams in the league?

Your help would be greatly appreciated, as I want to answer these questions for this guy in a positive manner. Please avoid conclusions that indicate mismanagement, bad player development, or worst of all cheapness by ownership.

2. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    I think we have a new YSA for this year plus the MPA from the adurape that we haven't used yet.

.[/QUOTE]
    How many guys have we traded that are starting for other teams vs. guys we picked up in trades that have played meaningful and important minutes for us?.[/QUOTE]

Off the top of my head, I think Broome and Suarez get decent minutes with LA but when all their players are healthy, I don't think either is a starter. Not sure what happened to the defender we traded to KC for Quill and Talley.

.[/QUOTE]
    What have our bevy of draft picks given us over the last two years? How does this compare with other teams in the league?.[/QUOTE]

Squat!

Your help would be greatly appreciated, as I want to answer these questions for this guy in a positive manner. Please avoid conclusions that indicate mismanagement, bad player development, or worst of all cheapness by ownership.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you could find most of this on buzz's website.

3. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    By my count, we should have THREE allocations sitting idle.

1. One you-suck for 2003
    2. One you-suck for 2004
    3. One for being screwed out of Marshall for DC's photo op. (DC's Etcheverry allocation.)

Mights as well start trading them for bench players to teams willing to use them.

4. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Buzz and El Jefe are the authorities in following exactly who came in as a result of which pick, etc, etc.

Last year's YSA got Dallas Gibbs.
    Last year's Adurape has not been used.
    This year's YSA has not been used.

For Graziani Dallas got Cerritos. Although this one belongs to the Swift-Jeffries regime.

For Cerritos Dallas got Curtis and a couple of picks; Neither Cerritos nor Curtis finished the following season on a MLS roster. In retrospect I would have preferred Dallas had kept Curtis over Nhleko because he would have provided similar performance for much less money and would not have taken a FPA slot. Dallas got nothing for releasing Curtis. The picks were probably Maurin and Wagenfuhr.

For Deering Dallas got nothing. They simply released him.

For Zarco Dallas got nothing. They simply released him. This one also belongs to the Swift-Jeffries regime.

For T-Bone Dallas got Jolley. TBone had a rough start with Metro, he then worked himself into the starting lineup and was playing pretty well until he had a season ending injury. Jolley started almost every game Dallas played this year.

For Vaca Dallas got some trade pic that has not been valued nor cashed in.

For Thomas Dallas got Quill and Talley. Thomas was a key cog to the Wiz backline early in the season. He was injured, and never broke back through with the starters. Quill and Talley combined started every game for Dallas this season (not necessarily a good thing).

For Suarez, Broome and Martinez Dallas got Glinton and Hendrickson. Martinez tried to catch on in Spain and later in Mexico. Suarez and Broome are spot starters in LA. Glinton not in the league anymore. Hendrickson was stuck in the A-league this year until DC came looking for him. He will be on the bench on Sunday as DC goes for the title.

For DJ Countess Dallas got trade pics that have not been valued or cashed in.

For Morrison Dallas is getting a pic from KC in the upcoming draft.

For Dunseth Dallas got nothing. They simply released him.

For Urbas Dallas got nothing. They simply released him.

For Morrow's retirement Dallas got nothing.

Another painful one from Swift-Jeffries regime, Matt Jordan went for nothing as they simply let his contract expire.

Jordan Stone's retirement will result in no allocations or picks of any kind.

To do this sort of breakdown for each and every MLS team is something somebody that writes for internet webzine should undertake ;)

5. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree Dallas' talent drain is frustrating. But even more frustrating is our team's failure to develop young talent.

Other than Eddie Johnson (and perhaps Matt Behncke), I can't think of any young players on our team whose play has markedly improved while here.

Ronnie O and Gibbs are playing well, but they already had the skills before arriving here.

Brad Davis and Gbandi? High picks seemingly on a slump to mediocrity (Davis) or the A-League (Gbandi)

Nunez, Goodson, Wagenfuhr, etc? How much are they going to improve with 0 (or close to it) minutes of game action.

Stone was smart to bail out on this team, for sure.

6. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    At least they gave BD and CG the chance to develop. Maybe that's why they didn't give Nuny, Goody, and Wagy much opportunity. That may have been too many to "develop" by playing them over some of the veterans.

7. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    It's sad that there are so many moves that have amounted to much of nothing. it sucks that we also have not received any compensation for Deering and Rodriguez, but they were team decisions to let go. we are not given any benefit of the doubt in regards to picks or allocations. sucks balls, but until Lamar bitches a fit, no one cares or will do anything.

8. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMHO - the following three rookies were developed well in Dallas:

Jason Kreis (remember, it was Coach who saw his potential as a forward and moved him up - leading to his current standing as King Kreis - King of Goals TM)
    Ryan Suarez (rookie of the year finalist)
    Paul Broome (wheels which learned some tactics - starter)

9. mudpoet

mudpoet Member

May 16, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 rookies in 9 years. wow.

10. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    So depressing...

11. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Face it, we don't have a coach that developes or takes chances with young guys. While I think Collin should get one more try and I don't like changing coaches all the time, if CC puts out the same predictable, give up early lineup week in and week out I'm going to be calling for his head.

12. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    In this league, I think you have to build your team through the draft. In order to do that, you have to give young players a chance. If this season is any indication, I do not see a bright future for FC Dallas.

13. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point, but two of those can be credited to Big Dave. My concerns are with what's happened the last few years under Jeffries and now Clarke.

Besides playing time, the other key component to developing players takes place on the practice pitch.

And for whatever reasons, I don't see Dallas' coaching staff having much success improving the skills and game IQ of its young players when they arrive here.

In fact, one could probably make a good case that the one young player to show marked improvement in his play recently -- Eddie Johnson -- owes more to the US National Team (Youth and USMNT) for developing his talent than he does to the Burn.

If EJ had never had the opportunity to play with the U.S. squads, would he have reached where he is today if he had relied solely on the Burn to help him raise his game?

14. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    What about the influence of Gibbs on EJ with respect to BA and the Nats (and, hence, the trickle-down effect to club)?

Gibbs is giving him solid in•sight to growth-and-prosperity that includes the 'please-Bruce-so-you-don't-translate-into-a-divisive-cancer' effect. While his behavior with teammates and productive results tell a story; he still exhibits immature behavior with officials that may distract his overall skills and availability to teammates and coaches.

Then again, he is experiencing his growth pattern and getting results (nice to have those inherent talents recognized and acted upon); so grow on!

15. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, Theo, you know I am always ready to help.

I want to take the example of a recent season when the Burn did well enough to get into the playoffs with home field advantage.

The Burn, at that time, boasted the most venomous front line in the MLS.

Graziani-Traded by Jeffries for useless Cerritos.
    Kreis-Got old.

Lots of pressure from the middle.

Schemer-Oscar, still here
    LW-Chivas, traded by Jeffries. Had a great year the previous season, not doing well that year, and had to make room for Davis, victim of a parrelell sitaution this season.
    RW-ROB, Still here.
    DM-Deering, released. Zarco started here, but Deering, the superior player, quickly put Zarco on the bench for good.

Tough back line.

LB: Broome, traded by Jeffreis.
    CB: Morrow, retired.
    CB: T Bone, traded by CC for Jolley, which is a wash, except for the extra SI the Burn got.
    RB: Suarez, traded by Jeffries.

And a good young 'keeper.

Flash: Chased off by Jeffries.

That is what happened to the talent. Jeffries got rid of it, and left CC in a huge hole. So deep, he could only work on the defense this year. Next year CC will get the offense for FCD going.

I just doubt he will get a front two as lethal as Jeffries lucked into, and then gave up.

Cheers!
    Sir Drinxalot

16. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    while I'm not going to stick up for Jeffries too much, but he did have a major set back in having to play at Southlake. The players started losing, not getting the right bounces, blah blah blah, which might have turned into animosity, which turned into trades which turned into disaster.

Sure Jeffries might not have handled the situation well, but he was put in a major set back at that dump. I mean just look at the difference in our team from 2002 and 2003.

17. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I blame Jefferies for the infamous trade with LA. Trading Chivas, I could deal with, but getting rid of Broome and Suarez was a mistake.

Trading Cerritos for Curtis, that was a good trade.

However jefferies couldn't do anything with the line up. He didn't even try to light a fire under anyone to get them motivated.

trading T-bo for Jolley, I'll take that trade, opnes up a SI spot and you ahve a back line defender when Gibbs was out for NT duty.