What happened to the MLS team in this year's Copa Sudamericana?

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by El Guero Naco, Aug 13, 2006.

1. El Guero Naco

El Guero Naco New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I remember Garber saying how he wanted to expand MLS teams into Sudamericana and Libertadores, but now Alajuelense is getting a "CONCACAF" spot?

If this is the case, then why didn't Saprissa go last year?

Did the Galaxy just turn it down or what?

2. danielbarrientos

danielbarrientos Red Card

Sep 3, 2005
    Humm, maybe Atlanta Silverbacks get the place .......ahahahahahaha:eek:

3. SoCalian

SoCalian New Member

May 17, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    there wern't any MLS teams in the cup this year, they gave the concacaf spots to Costa Rica

4. El Guero Naco

El Guero Naco New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    That's why I asked the question...............

5. danielbarrientos

danielbarrientos Red Card

Sep 3, 2005
    To be or not to be is your question !:D

6. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I don't think Garber has any say in who represents CONCACAF.

Only CONMEBOL decides.

7. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Most likely they will give the concacaf spot to one of the semifinalists.

8. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Saprissa turned down the CSA last year, so CONMEBOL chose some other CONCACAF team, and the lucky winner was DC United. There was never anything about an automatic MLS spot.

9. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    well garber doesnt decide who gets in the sudamericana

10. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i think argentina or brasil need to lose a spot and give one to the US. 8 teams for brasil !!! 7 for argentina.. i mean seriously their leagues r better but not that much better and why does mexico get 2 byes....

I think that mexico should have to eliminate itself like all the other SA teams do, same with brasil and argentina, having so many byes is bs. Also I dont think that is fair. That in the 2nd round their is 4 arg teams,2 mexi teams and then the final is all arg or bra... its just like the WC. Europe was not better but if u have 14 teams and SA has 4 no shit that the final will most likely be all european.

think us and costa rica should eliminate each other. Mexico can have 2 teams to try to eliminate each other.

i know u can give me teh history of how well brasil and argentina do in these tournments but then again this will never change if we have them send 8 teams each year and everyone else has 2. I also dont get why Mexico gets 2 byes !!! What have they ever won? no offense but this doesnt make sense to me

11. yoryi

yoryi Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Boogie Down BRONX!

El gordo,corrupto,mal culiado de Leoz is at fault.All he cares about is getting payed and que se juda el resto.Has long has there is a Argentinian or Brasilian squad in the finals,thats ratings and that son,,makes his pockets thicker!:mad:

12. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    CONMEBOL most likely decided to save the MLS the embarrassment of a poor performance in this years edition.

13. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Yes, DC United did so poor. Being MLS' first year in Conmebol tournaments and all. Horrible performance against Catolica.

:rolleyes:

14. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Actually, this was not the first Conmebol tournament for MLS.
    Remember the Merconorte?

I recall Sporting Cristal playing in Kansas City.

DC has done pretty well, even beating Vasco da Gama for an international title.

15. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I meant in permanent tournaments, but you are correct. Some MLS teams played in the last edition of the Merconorte and DC won the Interamericana by beating Vasco.

Interamericana was not an every year thing and Merconorte/Mercosur didn't look like they'd stay for long. Seems like the Sudamericana is staying for good.

16. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    The Sudamericana was set the minute Nissan decided to become its main sponsor starting with the second edition.

17. dcsundevil2002

Apr 20, 2006
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMMEBOL have started inviting CONCACAF clubs that make the semi finals of the CONCACAF Champions Cup. The CONCACAF club that loses in the Champions Cup final gets an automatic invite, and they join one of the other semi-finalists in the Sudamericana. This explains why the LA Galaxy did not get an invite in the tournament this season.

As for why DC United was given an invite last season, I do not know the story behind that. Their play against Catholica however, is cited as for one of the primary reasons that DC United does have a large reputation in Argentina, as Catholica has many Argentinian players.