What happened to interest in the Rhinos

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by Revolt, Aug 2, 2010.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lax is big in the Northeast.

2. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rochester does draw well for USLPro. The team has similar problems as the USMNT does. Not enough going forward, and a defense that can not hold only a lead.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's well done.

4. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm amazed that the 1/2 mile distance from Frontier to Sahlen's is a fairly big factor in the Rhino's decline.

5. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that article does a good job about trying to get at the hope that the Stadium would bring to the neighborhood. The 1/2 mile is really more than a distance. Look at this map. It might help understand. Surrounding Frontier Field is parking for Kodak tower, 2 freeways and downtown. Surrounding Sahlen Stadium on three sides are rough neighborhoods.
    Now is that an excuse, yes. But as the article talked about, location plus a bunch of other issues really hurt.

6. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typical DiVeronica. Hey great for Rhinos I was pulling for them but I'd be shocked if there were even 2500 fans there last night, unless they were all hiding behind the multiple camera angles. Even the "rush the field" fans looked paltry. So sad.

Thank goodness the owner can make it work. And bunker ball Lilley gets the job done.

brentgoulet repped this.
  8. Rampage

Rampage Member

May 8, 2012
    Looked like 5,000 fans there to me, Suites were packed, fans standing behind the goal. This Rhinos team was actually fun to watch, very creative with the ball, especially with the short passing game

9. Flowercitysupporter

Sep 23, 2015
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    so happy for this team, it was one of the best, if not the best game ive ever been too, what a way to finish our 20th season

10. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That article is well done. I remember games at Frontier field and I'm happy the team still exists. I am happy they won the USL title - maybe this is the start of a small rebirth for the team. In the end, I still wish they had made it into MLS all those years ago. It was a fun time in Rochester.

drew_VT_6, aetraxx7 and brentgoulet repped this.
  11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    brentgoulet repped this.
  12. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    #165 mng146, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015

Interestingly, Salvatore "Soccer Sam" Fantauzzo had a couple of notable guests in his suite at Sahlen's Stadium for one of the recent playoff games; those guests being the owner of the Rochester Razorsharks minor league basketball team (a wealthy doctor and businessman from Chicago), and his former co-owner of the now defunct Lancers indoor team. Something cooking perhaps?

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats hilarious. They finally win something (in recent memory) and they want to sell. Seems this might have been Clark's charity plan the whole time. Lord knows its way past due.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  14. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Yeah, it wasn't hard to figure that Clark and his family bank business were in it mainly to protect their investment (i.e. loans to the previous owners), so news of a potential sale isn't surprising. The timing is funny though; right after the team wins its first championship in 14 years. More focused local ownership would certainly be a good thing, and while I'm not always fond of Sam's version of 'sizzle', the organization could use a healthy dose of it.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  15. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY

Let the games begin!

msilverstein47 repped this.
  16. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulation to the Rhinos and also to the Rampage Supporters group.....if they still exist. If any of you know an old timer (like me) that used to use the handle "SLICK", please hit me up privately, I'd like to reconnect with Bill, the email address I have is old and no longer works. Thanks.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe nothing that Devo says.

18. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Can't say I blame you. Devo is a sycophant, and his journalistic integrity is often questionable.

19. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one thing the article leaves out is the initial TV deal MLS had with ESPN, where they actually got paid instead of paying for air-time. Rochester's TV market is squeezed between Syracuse and Buffalo and even though it has an MSA comparable to Salt Lake City its TV market is miniscule (somewhere in the 75-80 range). Many of the rumors in 2006-2008 were that ESPN nixed any Rochester expansion.

20. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Little tidbit:
    Former Rhinos introduced as new members of FC Cincinnati
    Tyler Polak
    Pat McMahon

21. Flowercitysupporter

Sep 23, 2015
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    sad to see mcmahon go but if he doesnt want to play for rochester then see ya later pat

22. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More player news:
    Brandon Miller has signed with OC Blues
    Alex Dixon has signed with Ottawa Fury