What happened to interest in the Rhinos

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by Revolt, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Randomhero31

Randomhero31 Member

Dec 13, 2010
    PDX via Buffalo
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While standing in the rain, I was debating heckling some of the Hammerheads but instead started shooting the breeze with some of the subs. Learned they were from Wilmington, NC (not Delaware, as I previously thought).

The listed attendance was around 3k, but I didn't see more than 100.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Delaware? Really? You realize the Hammerheads have been in the USL for almost as long as the rhinos? Wow.

They also get about the same attendance as the Rhinos.

3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    That is about the same what I saw on my PC

And sorry you lost 3 players with injuries :(

4. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    According to twitter, after 45 minutes the Rhinos down 2-0 at FCNY :mad:

5. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    2-1 at the end,

Second ever win for the FCNY

6. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Follow the City Islanders but checking out thread after Sat. match.

What's up. Thought there'd be more interest in Rhinos. Saw some NASL matches last year and crowds, although respectable this season, seemed much larger and vocal.

Watched Islanders match on TV and thought both teams had some moments. Match actually looked pretty good for USL TV. Had some pace, decent midfield play, good commentary and camera angles unlike most USL TV that generally looks slow, direct, sloppy and uninspired.

7. ComeOnYouSpurs198

Jan 1, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I am really entertained by how petty so many of the posters are on this thread. What makes me laugh more is how a few guys who don't live in Rochester assert broad and inaccurate generalizations about people who do. The constant and childish bickering doesn't advance discussion in any way. There still is interest in the Rhinos. There still are great attendance figures. There still are quality players who manage to underachieve and still top the league. That's the view from season seats in Sahlen's stadium, how's the view from your soap boxes?

8. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. SoccerTown USA

Mar 20, 1999
    Has the USL officially come out with how the playoff format will work. DOothe games proceed within the division to produce one team from each division for the final OR are all 8 teams seeded from 1-8 regardless of division?

10. 1BigDave5

1BigDave5 New Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Club:
    Richmond Kickers
    Top 4 from each division play it out. Each division winner meet in the final.

11. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Rhinos fell 1-2 to the Harrisburg Islanders

12. socceramericanstyle

Sep 6, 2011
    Just went back on USL Live to watch the fiasco in the semi-final game between Rochester and H-Burg. Very interesting night. Also, who is the Rhinos announcer? Ended up watching longer than I thought. He is very good.

13. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Giuliano does play by play and former Rhino Mike Kirmse does color.

Joe has done a few of the FSC games in Rochester.

14. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was disappointed in my Rhinos this year.

It stared with their decision to join USL Pro over the NASL. I eventually got over that because the owners are the ones spending their money not me!

Then it continued with what looked to be lower attendance in their wonderful stadium. The lower attendance has worried me. I always thought the stadium was a great thing for the team and the city and it would keep their attendance higher than it did this year.

As a fan, I'm glad the team is still around so I'm not complaining. Without the current owner they'd be gone.

Then, they end it with a loss at home in the playoffs in the semi-finals. I would have loved to see them return to the glory days of the 90's when they were winning titles left & right! It would have been even better to see them beat OCSC in the final.

RIP 2011 season from a former Lansdale Street resident. I hope next year is a better one for the team. :) Keep up the fight Rhinos!

15. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Any chance the waffler leans back in the NASL's direction this offseason?

16. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it.

A move to the NASL would likely mean bigger losses due to the longer season and more travel. And with Montreal making the jump to MLS, it's not like the ghost of the Montreal-Rochester rivalry is there as a carrot for potentially larger crowds.

Now if the NASL (or more likely Traffic) give the Rhinos a financial offer they can't refuse........

17. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    No. Basically for the same reasons they decided to leave NASL for USL-Pro in the first place. Nothing has changed.

I noticed the indoor Rochester Lancers have taken Rhinos legend Doug Miller out of moth balls and signed the now 42 year old to a contract. I guess they hope his name will sell some tickets.

18. ComeOnYouSpurs198

Jan 1, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The Rhinos weren't really that impressive. Sure, before the season started I penciled us in the Championship game but that playoff exit was just a crazy game from start to finish.
    Consider the fact that the Rhinos had the youngest team in club history this season. We have Quavas Kirk is a dynamic wingback and experienced player despite only being 23 years old. Troy Roberts, 27, and Tyler Bellamy, 23, have a tremendous partnership when they're both healthy. J.C. Banks is a great talent and is only 22 years old. If the Rhinos can keep their core group together, they'll be challenging for titles for years.
    We all know that attendance figures have gone down, but the Rhinos season average of around 4300 is still in the top five for teams under MLS. (One of which is the outlying Montreal Impact)
    This season didn't end perfectly for Rochester, because we didn't get that championship, but it was by no means a failure.

19. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    They won't. You don't keep together a core group of players for very long in D2 and D3 these days. Rosters always change. It's a year to year operation.

That's the difference between now and the good old days back in the late 90s and early 00s when the Rhinos were a dominant team. The Rhinos could offer their top players like Doug Miller, Scott Schweitzer, and Lenin Steenkamp decent salaries. They could also make up any money by playing indoor during the off-season. And the old A-League was a decent level under MLS. But those days are long gone.

Young players with promise aren't going to hang around D3 making peanuts. You can't count on any young player or someone with promise hanging around long. Players want to play at a higher level.

Welcome to minor league soccer in 2011 and beyond.

20. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    It´s a pity when a club fall on hard times like this, not sure how MLS measure "markets" though..Surely a winning club creates their own market sort of?
    I mean, no one is talking about the Packers as a drag on NFL..

21. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the coaching change to Pat Ercoli will bring back a little of the swagger that Rochester used to have. The worst road-trip in the old A-League was the Rochester, Toronto, Montreal swing that they used to make teams do. That was brutal.

22. Randomhero31

Randomhero31 Member

Dec 13, 2010
    PDX via Buffalo
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe some of us drive in from Buffalo to watch a game in a nearly empty stadium. I don't know where this guy was sitting but attendance has never been the same since the move to the new stadium and Vancouver championship.

23. rochesterian80

Mar 28, 2013
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    I like many decided to take yesterday off given the weather. I tuned in online and they had the owner doing color commentary -- who to be frank sounded like he had a few. I'll be curious to see if the league archives it. I've heard him interviewed many, many times, and he sounded "different." (Maybe that's what it takes to watch the Rhinos right now?)

Tough to see these self-inflicted wounds. Gotta get back to basics on running this team in a sound manner on and off the field. As I tell people over and over, attendance was dropping their last year at Frontier. Crowds have filled Sahlen's Stadium when the draw is right, so it's not all about the stadium. The product and promotions are a factor.

I think they can get back to drawing a legit 6-7k a game over time, but their approach has to change one way or another.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

See: Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961.

Completely different landscape.

25. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the stadium was truly the issue, them the Rattlera crowds would be more sparse. They draw pretty respectible numbers for an MLL team.