What friendlies (if any) would you like to see the Metros play?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by MetroZebra, Aug 11, 2002.

1. MetroZebra

MetroZebra New Member

May 24, 2002
    With the Atlanta Silverbacks fiasco and the game against Chivas being debated on the board, I wanted to know what friendlies you would like to see?

I personally think that Metros management have to stop trying to lure Latin American fans into becoming Metros fans. It just won't happen as shown by the countless Colombian players w've had and by poor turnouts for friendlies like Boca Juniors. While my picks are likely to never happen, these are some teams that I think the metros can compete with in a challenging friendly.

Internationally, teams like Ivory Coast, Haiti, Lithuania.

On the club level some teams like Nottingham Forest, Levski Sofia, FC Grasshopper.

Sure, these sound strange. Would more fans come to these games to see a team, that they have never seen before to try something new. Or should we playing Barcelona and Deportiva La Coruna and Manchester United whose reserve sides can mop the floor with us, but they usually have a hangover and play at half speed and STILL get a draw or win.

I guess what I'd like to see is some true international diversity in the clubs that come in here. Knowing our management, that will never EVER happen though, because soccer in th USA is still about appealing to the largest number of people to bring in money at the gates.

2. Soccer C

Soccer C New Member

May 6, 2001
    NY
    No more friendlies. This team is entirely too friendly as it is. Just look at how we automatically let any team that comes in here win. Now, that's what I call hospitality!

3. the-beaver

the-beaver New Member

Jul 17, 2002
    NJ
  4. nymetrostars2002

nymetrostars2002 New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    bronx ny
    at this stage ,friendlies have become pretty useless. just look at what players we had to field in the US Cup.I would rather see the team play on local college pitches like St. johns, rutgers, cosmopolitan league all-stars.now i return to my bunker,to fight another day.

5. VeRoMeTrOsTaRs

VeRoMeTrOsTaRs New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    NY
    I think that Metrostars have to practice and work hard, maybe sometimes, not a lot Metrostars should have any friendlies games, Metrostars is not playing that well, they need to work harder. Lucky Metrostars are in the first place now, but they don't have to care about that, they have to care about how they're palying.

6. Grone

Grone New Member

Dec 17, 1998
    why not bring back Alianza Lima and River Plate
    they seemed to be the only teams that had a real supporters section when they came to ny/nj

7. VeRoMeTrOsTaRs

VeRoMeTrOsTaRs New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    NY
    I'll like to see Metrostars vs. River Plate !!!!!!!.

8. David Allan

David Allan New Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Southeastern PA
    Personally, I'd love to see Gotham Cup II.

9. metrosarenumberone

metrosarenumberone New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Landing, NJ
    i wanna see some canadian team come down and watch us destroy them or Blackburn rovers would be good enough

10. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    No friendlies during regular season till teams expand their rosters to at least 23 -- not counting P40s. These games are distracting and they sap the team's energy -- and injuries at this point can be devastating to the end of season run.

I'm only stating the obvious here. It's like a bad war movie, when one officer turns to another and says, "D-Day. This could be something big, something the folks back home will remember a long time."

Gee, no kidding! And it's sure big news to the guy he's talking too, right?

11. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    The way things are going in Argentina, River might elect to stay -- and play at Mitchel Field.

12. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    Re: Re: What friendlies (if any) would you like to see the Metros play?

whoknows, we may be able to get a couple of players off them for cheap,

13. MetroZebra

MetroZebra New Member

May 24, 2002
    Ummmmm...are there any professional 1st division teams in Canada? Honestly, I don't even know?????? A team like Blackburn would be a very challenging match for Metros, but I believe Metros could win. That would do a lot for the players' confidence to beat a 1st division English squad. But if anybody knows anything about a Canadian 1st division, I'd like to know more about how our "neighbors to the north" are doing...

14. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    Toronto Argonauts.

15. MetroZebra

MetroZebra New Member

May 24, 2002
    Dude! that's a football team! Rocket Ismail played football for them! I'm talkin' soccer, el futbol, calcio, you know what I'm sayin'? Not touchdowns and field goals!!!!

16. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998

No- same name different team, different sport. They are a massive side.

Toronto Argonauts FC Official Website

17. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    i'd personally like to see the metros play more a-league teams, till their egos get beaten down by losing that they actually started playing an mls game like they gave a crap.

18. mikelley037

mikelley037 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    MAN U!
    please lord.....

if not i would like to see octavio zambrano race christina aguilara in a potato sack race

19. MetroDug

MetroDug Member

May 4, 1999
    New York, NY USA
    How about Manchester United on July 20, 2003?

20. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    I'm sure Charlie already has some Italian side in mind for that game.

21. Miloco

Miloco Red Card

Jun 6, 2002
    West Palm Beach
    My pick goes to MetroStars vs Manchester United. If we play against a Concacaf team, my pick goes to MetroStars vs America de Mexico.

good luck to all you u. I will see you at the Chivas game